Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 1 hour ago, back home now, just completed my purchase of a new Passport Touring, Obscene-ly Blue, 2WD. :giggle:

I thought my Highlander purchase back in 2015 was super easy. I had pre-approval then too. Test drove once, emailed the haggling over next few days with sales-gurl. Went back in to give them my '08 Pilot and got the HL. I did not even talk to the F-ing-I-guy. They did make me wait quite awhile as they installed the free body side moldings I asked for. Like 3 hours, way too long after the deal closed.

But today was even quicker and much easier. This dealer, Community Honda of Baytown, just east of Houston, emailed me a full drive out price; about $4k less than any other dealers. I had so many email offers coming in, I just glanced at it and forgot about it. I was so fixed on the nearby, gree Pport offer.

I'm glad I went back to look thru those email offers again. Nearest Honda dealer made an offer on that Green Passport Tour like many others @ $42xxx.00 Drive Out. The internet saleslady in Baytown, sent me $38, 351.00 OTD total without my prodding her as I'd done others.

I went today and very friendly, older salesman, let me drive the Grey Metallic and Obs Blue autos. He says, take your time, lets jump on the freeway to get a good feel. My first test drive near me with the green one, would've been less than 5 mins, if I'da let sales-slug cut me shorter. He allowed me just one more intersection and it was over. That left a bad taste in my mouth.

Community Honda also did way better than I thought, trade price wise, on my '15 HL trade. I haggled down those silly window tint, Nitrogen prices to just a few dollars. I told them, help me with those costs so I can purchase the outdoor side lighting. They did. They busted out that darn CC application even after I told them I had CU pre-approval. I said, no thanks I don't need that, I'm happy with the rate the CU is offering me. I did not want to wait around for that dance.

We did all the paperwork and thought I was done. He did wrangle me to a very nice F-ing-I lady. She went thru her spiel and I shut her down on each offer. I was nice about it and she didn't push. That took all of 15-20 mins. They washed it, filled it with gas, showed me some tech settings and I was out in less than 3 hours.

No hard sale, no pressure. Was kinda nice for a change. Oh yeah, it drives very nice. Taking Ol Blue to Astros Game tomorrow, free tickets, Go Stros!
peace y'all, e.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Welcome to the OBP club! We love the color.

Reactions: Pdog and ErnieD2

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From that color survey I saw here. Blue is not everyone's fave.....isn't that a Keith Urban song? ?
But I've had/have dark/light grey cars the last few years.
That dark green PPort had my eye for Abit. But the Obs Blue w/grey rims looked better to me at this dealer.
Just kinda sux they remind me of Dallas Cowboys colors. ?
Go Texans!!! ☺

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
2,815 Posts
Great pick and great deal, we need more Blue ones in here to balance our averages...!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just took the wife out for a quick spin. She was always scared of driving my HL.
This PP shes looking forward to it. #Thefunfactor ?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Your experience was overall quite relaxed. Glad it worked out that way. Apart from the place where they cut back your test drive time.

Good job with shopping around and pushing a dealer lower.

And congrats on the becoming a PP owner!

Looking forward to when I get mine :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I imagine prices will only get better as the year goes on.
Patience and Persistence will get you there. Happy shopping.

·
Registered
338 Posts
About 1 hour ago, back home now, just completed my purchase of a new Passport Touring, Obscene-ly Blue, 2WD. :giggle:

I thought my Highlander purchase back in 2015 was super easy. I had pre-approval then too. Test drove once, emailed the haggling over next few days with sales-gurl. Went back in to give them my '08 Pilot and got the HL. I did not even talk to the F-ing-I-guy. They did make me wait quite awhile as they installed the free body side moldings I asked for. Like 3 hours, way too long after the deal closed.

But today was even quicker and much easier. This dealer, Community Honda of Baytown, just east of Houston, emailed me a full drive out price; about $4k less than any other dealers. I had so many email offers coming in, I just glanced at it and forgot about it. I was so fixed on the nearby, gree Pport offer.

I'm glad I went back to look thru those email offers again. Nearest Honda dealer made an offer on that Green Passport Tour like many others @ $42xxx.00 Drive Out. The internet saleslady in Baytown, sent me $38, 351.00 OTD total without my prodding her as I'd done others.

I went today and very friendly, older salesman, let me drive the Grey Metallic and Obs Blue autos. He says, take your time, lets jump on the freeway to get a good feel. My first test drive near me with the green one, would've been less than 5 mins, if I'da let sales-slug cut me shorter. He allowed me just one more intersection and it was over. That left a bad taste in my mouth.

Community Honda also did way better than I thought, trade price wise, on my '15 HL trade. I haggled down those silly window tint, Nitrogen prices to just a few dollars. I told them, help me with those costs so I can purchase the outdoor side lighting. They did. They busted out that darn CC application even after I told them I had CU pre-approval. I said, no thanks I don't need that, I'm happy with the rate the CU is offering me. I did not want to wait around for that dance.

We did all the paperwork and thought I was done. He did wrangle me to a very nice F-ing-I lady. She went thru her spiel and I shut her down on each offer. I was nice about it and she didn't push. That took all of 15-20 mins. They washed it, filled it with gas, showed me some tech settings and I was out in less than 3 hours.

No hard sale, no pressure. Was kinda nice for a change. Oh yeah, it drives very nice. Taking Ol Blue to Astros Game tomorrow, free tickets, Go Stros!
peace y'all, e.
Yea you paid the piper for 3 years. Enjoy the success. My Giants are struggling. I am a Verlander fan. Remember when Verlander was pitching against panda ? and sandavol went yard on him 3 times. All Verlander could say was”wow!”
Enjoy the yard!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup but I'm bit more of a Verlander's-wife fan, j/k.
But planning to take the wife's Crosstour. Can be kinda shady parking around the Juice Box. ? Too soon for my PPort to see H-town at night.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I had a very pleasant buying experience, the best I've had in about 45 years of buying new cars. I emailed the dealer for their "best price". Sales guy responded in less than an hour with a discount of over $3,000. Set up an appointment via email. Once I got there he went over the features of the vehicle, and I said "let's take it for a test drive". He handed me the key and said try to be back within an hour. He didn't even go with me for the "first leg" of the test drive. Came back, got his offer on my trade, got him to come up a little, and throw in all weather mats and rear cargo cover for the Passport.

Then on to F&I. Also a very pleasant experience. He asked if we were going to finance or pay cash for the difference. I told him cash. He pulled out the sheet with the extras (paint protection, fabric protection, clear bra, extended warranty, etc.), and said if you don't want any of these just initial next to each one, so "they" will know I offered it to you. We signed the deal, I said I needed to go to the safe deposit box and get the title for my trade and since it was late in the day he said bring it in tomorrow with the check for the difference, and I drove home in the new Passport. Very smooth pleasant deal. The way it should be! Went back the next morning with the title and the check, done deal.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. This is the second new Honda I've bought, first 2008 Pilot, that the buying process didn't leave me feeling frustrated and ruin my new car buying experience. I liked my Toyota purchase in 2015. But this time, like the first Honda buying was quite pleasant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts