Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that we are in the start of summer but winter will be here soon enough. I remember when I purchased my Passport Touring I had to sign a waiver stating that putting chains on would break and damage the rims. I seen various types of chains some that are made of steel cables rather than chain links. I'm planning a winter mountain trip that may require chains so I like to see which type works best if you already have used some.

·
Registered
561 Posts
From page 596 of the Passport owners maual:

Use tire chains, snow tires, or all season tires when necessary or according to the law. When mounting, refer to the following points.
For winter tires:
• Select the size and load ranges that are the same as the original tires.
• Mount the tires to all four wheels.
For tire chains:
• Install them on the front tires only.
• Because your vehicle has limited tire clearance, we strongly recommend using the chains listed below:
Models with 245/50R20 tires Cable-type: SCC Super Z LT ZT735
Models with 265/45R20 tires Cable-type: SCC Super Z6 SZ435

·
Registered
15 Posts
With such low profile tires, you absolutely need to make sure that the cables are tight-tight-tight. There's not a whole lot of sidewall for it to grab onto, so if they get loose your wheels are going to end up getting beat and whipped up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Refreshing this thread - probably going to need to install cables for an upcoming trip to our local Southern California mountains. Has anyone actually installed them yet, and how did the paint on your rims fare?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Can you use winter tires instead of chains or cables? Just drove the Passport in heavy wet snow for the first time and it was fantastic. I'm running a set of 18" Pilot wheels with 245/60R18 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV winter tires. Tried to get it stuck on unplowed roads and it pulled through easily. Braking and turning were excellent as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm curious as to how the PP AWD handles with the standard all-weather tires w/o chains. My prior 2017 Ford Escape 4WD didn't allow for chains to be installed and I never had an issue driving it even in conditions where snow chains/winter tires were required (glad I never got stopped and ticketed for it).

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm curious as to how the PP AWD handles with the standard all-weather tires w/o chains. My prior 2017 Ford Escape 4WD didn't allow for chains to be installed and I never had an issue driving it even in conditions where snow chains/winter tires were required (glad I never got stopped and ticketed for it).
Probably depends on the all-season tires. The shallow tread OE Conti tires that came on it...probably not that good. A new set of Nokian WRG4 SUV tires...really good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you use winter tires instead of chains or cables? Just drove the Passport in heavy wet snow for the first time and it was fantastic. I'm running a set of 18" Pilot wheels with 245/60R18 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV winter tires. Tried to get it stuck on unplowed roads and it pulled through easily. Braking and turning were excellent as well.
I suppose we could, but for a two day trip, not worth the expense to us. We probably wouldn't use snow tires but once or twice a year.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you only need winter traction a few times a year, you could go with an all-season tire like these that work great in all conditions and have the "winter approved" snowflake-mountain symbol.

·
Registered
740 Posts
With such low profile tires, you absolutely need to make sure that the cables are tight-tight-tight. There's not a whole lot of sidewall for it to grab onto, so if they get loose your wheels are going to end up getting beat and whipped up.
Great point.
Not to mention your brake lines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts