Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has gotten stuck off-road in their Passport (if you want to admit it.) If so, curious what the conditions were...sand, mud, stock tires, etc. How many have taken theirs off road and how did it perform?

Thx!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I tried to get stuck in sand then put it in sand mode to see how it would work but "normal" got me out of everything I drove through.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I got stuck once, and only once, Smithpoint beach, It was a combination of the grooves were up to the frame and the knucklehead in front of me stopped and I was in the worse spot possible, otherwise I’ve never got stuck. It was trying for awhile to get me out, but of course the more the tires spin, the deeper your tires dig, had a tow strap and just in case a come a long if needed. The strap worked fine and I was on my way....
The dash lit up like a Xmas tree during and at one point she quit doing anything, never have duplicated dash info again. The one thing I’ve noticed is that every time I do go off road and let the air down to 20, I’ve gotten a traction control warning, which stays lit till I shut her down, even after inflating the tires back up and it’s great that it has a beep and hazard flash when you reach the proper inflation. The warning is gone in the morning. I off road about 3-4 times a week since April ......

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thank you for all the info Blue jean. I know that feeling when someone stops or gets stuck in front of you and you lose momentum in sand. We use our LR4 on the beach since it has low gear and locking diffs and seldom gets stuck even with full tire pressure. But it's getting old and someday the Passport will be our beach vehicle. Our old Q7 used to display the "Christmas tree of death" when stuck in sand. It was the combination of the traction control trying to control wheel spin then the heat sensors knowing the brakes are overheating.

I always carry a tow strap to help others but not many vehicles can help pull out a 6000 lb. LR4 when stuck. For that reason I carry a pair of Max Trax that work great:

·
Registered
123 Posts
After getting stuck once and you tell someone, everyone has a remedy, after sorting through all the stories, the only one I’d ever try, would be to use the all weather mats, almost the same as shown above......

Thanks Paul .....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry to burden you with another "remedy". Just wanted to make you aware of a product that really works. The cheap imitation Max Trax versions on ebay break in half. And you should wear running shoes to the beach so you can go retrieve your Weathertech mat after the spinning wheel launches it down the beach.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Haha, thanks for another laugh......

Even told I should carry some FD airbags.....

Once you open your big mouth, it doesn’t stop......

·
Registered
47 Posts
Anyone go beach driving on the stock tires? They are sport/highway tires so I'm a little worried that even with deflating it may be foolish to take them onto the average beach sand we have in New England.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Anyone go beach driving on the stock tires? They are sport/highway tires so I'm a little worried that even with deflating it may be foolish to take them onto the average beach sand we have in New England.
I did switch to 18" Ridgeline wheels with Michelin Defender LTX tires. We have teen drivers that hit potholes and rub on curbs. I bet the stock tire tread pattern will do fine in NE sand. But you won't gain much "footprint" if you air down the 20" tires. I have tried more aggressive tires (Cooper Zeons) on our Land Rover. The problem was that when new they would dig more than float on the Duxbury beach sand. Once worn they were better in sand but noisy on roads. For how many times we drive in sand, the Michelin Defender tires will work fine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I’m on the beach with the stock tires at least twice a week here on Long Island .....NP

·
Registered
47 Posts
Appreciate the insight. I was actually thinking of getting some Ridgeline wheels with those same Michelins. Until then, based on what Blue Jean said, I should be fine just airing down the stock tires. This past weekend I drove on a packed sand road near the beach, with some areas of looser deep sand, and it was no problem at all. Now I just have to find somewhere to put a full size spare (most likely sacrificing rear cargo area for the time being).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yakima makes a roof basket attachment that secures a spare tire. Only challenge may be lifting the spare tire up there.

I just saw one on an Audi Q7 from NJ that was headed toward Cape Cod. Q7's do not have any spare tire and if you go with 21" wheels on a Q7 they are NOT run-flats.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah a basket or a cargo box may be the way to go. There was a discussion somewhere on this forum about modding the spare tire area to fit a full size spare. Wonder if anyone has had success with that? Anyways, I don't want to hijack this thread with a spare tire discussion, but man I wish Honda had included one, or at least a space for one. It's one of my only complaints so far, and only because of the vehicle's marketing position as a (light) off-roader.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts