Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve read a million threads on the 265/60/18 topic, and what rubs and doesn’t at full lock, but have only found maybe 1 reply of someone that took it them off road.

I want to go 255/60/18, but don’t love the Nittos. We have some land so curious if anyone has taken 265s off-road and had any rubbing issues?

Thank you

·
Registered
2021 Honda Passport Elite (Modern Steel Metallic, Black Interior)
149 Posts
I have the Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/60r18’s. Before I got the 2” lift, I had no rubbing issues at all, even at full lock. After the 2” lift I get slight rubbing at full lock. Off-road I generally don’t hit full lock, so rubbing isn’t an issue (unless I need to make a hard U-turn in a small area).

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,042 Posts
Have not been on any trails yet (I'm going camping in two weeks and can tell you more afterwards), but, I don't think there will be any additional clearance issues on trails vs pavement... I love the look of the Nitto's and their USA Corporate Office is located 3 miles from my house, but I get the feeling that they are a better Off-Road tire than On-Road, and since I drive 98% of the time on paved streets, I didn't want a rough ride 98% of the time..

Since I have 265/60R18 Continental TerrainContacts (CTC) riding on Black Rhino Arches Rims (18 x 8 w/30mm Offset) I'll go ahead and give you my 2-cents..

I know people (including myself) report no major rubbing issues, when fully turned, I did hear some slight noise at the front passenger tire. I assumed it was no big deal - UNTIL the rubbing caused the plastic wheel well liner to tear and peel up (sorry no pics), creating an approx. 1/2" "tab" that protruded out at a right-angel - directly in the path of the tire, so the rubbing was now BEFORE full lock. No big deal, I reached in with some snips and trimmed the tab off and I'm back to the original slight rubbing, although there is cracks/missing material in this inner wheel well liner (I'll try to snap a pic and insert it here later).

There seems to be a thought floated about that LIFTING your Passport will resolve this and - IT WILL NOT! Lifting - provides more clearance VERTICALLY but not HORIZONTALLY! And that is where my rubbing is occurring ... horizontally.

What I do NOT know is if there is a difference when using an 18" Ridgeline of other Honda OEM design that has OEM Offset (55mm) - perhaps someone here can speak on that(?)

Next, let's (again) review tire sizes:

The OEM Tire (on Elites & Touring Models) is 265/45R20 and this tire is 29.4" Diameter and has a (ground) footprint of 10.5".
The CTC (that is have) is 265/60R18 is 30.5" Diameter, with a footprint of 10.7".
Conclusion: While this does mean the CTC is 1.1" taller, the difference is only 0.55" all around! I knew this going in and hoped that there would be at least that much of clearance.

While the rubbing is not a major issue (to me), given the choice to redo things, I would be looking at the CTC 245/60R18, which is 29.4" Diameter and has a footprint of 9.8".
Difference: This is 0.2" LESS than the OEM tire diameter, so there will be zero chance of rubbing. Also the footprint of the OEM 245/50R20 (used on the Sport and EX-L models) is 10", so being 0.2" less should not be an issue with stability and might slightly improve gas mileage and handling.

Lastly, I am considering adding a full size spare, mounted on the same Rhino-Arches wheel I have, that way I can have a spare wheel, in case one of my other wheels ever gets damaged. When I do this I plan to buy the CTC 245/60/R18 and then the next time I need tires, I'll just buy (3) more of the same size and retain the best of my take offs (265/60R18) as my full size spare...

Hope this helps...!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all for the replies, great info I hadn’t seen in a lot of the other threads. Much appreciated

Reactions: CaveGator

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just put 255/65R18's (Falken) on and love them. They're 31.1" x 10". I have not seen anyone discuss this size yet and thought it may be useful.

My goal was height so I hoped to gain an additional half inch over the 30.5" by reducing the width by a half inch. This was after installing a used set, 265/60R18, that I realized didnt increase my height over stock. They were Dean Back Country with just over 50% tread.

Hope that helps!

Screenshot_20210611-011625_Gallery.jpg

·
Registered
95 Posts
No issues with mine on several off-road trips in sand, mud, dirt. I’ve posted pics previously. Traction is great with the wild peaks. I recommend some underbody protection if you take it off-road, and be careful with the limited ground clearance.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@WA_Pass21 ... those look great and didn't even know that size was an option as think I'd prefer the Wildpeaks over my Nittos. Do you have any rubbing at full lock, as curious how close to the wheel wells it gets when fully turned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just put 255/65R18's (Falken) on and love them. They're 31.1" x 10". I have not seen anyone discuss this size yet and thought it may be useful.

My goal was height so I hoped to gain an additional half inch over the 30.5" by reducing the width by a half inch. This was after installing a used set, 265/60R18, that I realized didnt increase my height over stock. They were Dean Back Country with just over 50% tread.

Hope that helps! View attachment 11296
View attachment 11297
Looks sharp. The diameter of the stock tires that come with most Passports (with 20" wheels) is like 29.5" to 29.7", right? So, by increasing your tire diameter to 31.1", you've increased your ground clearance by at least 1.6", or from about 8.1" to just under 10" (without a lift). Is that right?

I'm looking to buy soon but would like to swap out the stock tires and increase the ground clearance to around 9-9.5" without a lift if possible.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looks sharp. The diameter of the stock tires that come with most Passports (with 20" wheels) is like 29.5" to 29.7", right? So, by increasing your tire diameter to 31.1", you've increased your ground clearance by at least 1.6", or from about 8.1" to just under 10" (without a lift). Is that right?

I'm looking to buy soon but would like to swap out the stock tires and increase the ground clearance to around 9-9.5" without a lift if possible.
It gains about .5 inches of ground clearance. You need to divide diameter by 2. Sorry, no where near 10.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It gains about .5 inches of ground clearance. You need to divide diameter by 2. Sorry, no where near 10.
Thanks! I was actually reading the same thing in a different thread. Makes sense--only half of the 1.5" gain in tire size is below the axle. Sorry. I tried to search. Sounds like WA_Pass at least got to 9" or so.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks! I was actually reading the same thing in a different thread. Makes sense--only half of the 1.5" gain in tire size is below the axle. Sorry. I tried to search. Sounds like WA_Pass at least got to 9" or so.
Isn’t stock ground clearance 8.1 inches? If so, the new tires would make it 8.95 inches. The next problem with the passport is approach angle - the front lip is low and will get damaged if it isn’t trimmed, I’ve hit mine. Also, don’t forget underbody protection. The oil pan is completely exposed without it. As I’ve said, the passport isn’t quite ready for moderate off-roading out of the box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Isn’t stock ground clearance 8.1 inches? If so, the new tires would make it 8.95 inches. The next problem with the passport is approach angle - the front lip is low and will get damaged if it isn’t trimmed, I’ve hit mine. Also, don’t forget underbody protection. The oil pan is completely exposed without it. As I’ve said, the passport isn’t quite ready for moderate off-roading out of the box.
Yeah, I'm not looking to do any genuine offroading. But I'd like something that can manage light off-roading and softroading to get to certain trailheads in the Eastern Sierra that are a tad too much for our CR-V or Forester. (I've been up most of these trails in my old TRD Tundra and friends' 4Runners and have a pretty good sense of what's feasible.) I also live in the highest neighborhood in Tahoe, so the extra clearance is helpful just to get off my street if the plow is late in winter. At the same time, it'll be my wife's daily driver and I'd like for my 75-year-old mom to be able to get in and out without using a ladder. 😁 So bigger, better tires that raise the clearance to ~9" is a pretty good compromise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts