Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased a 2019 Passport in January of this year. Before purchasing the vehicle, we test drove the base model and due to the sweet end of year pricing, we upgraded to the Touring trim (badged as the ‘Elite’ trim level in the USA). The sales guy said there was no difference in the handling or ride of the various trim levels so we didn’t test drive the higher end model. I did recognise the wider and slightly lower-profile tires that come with the Touring, but was told the ride wouldn’t be noticeably different.

Fast forward a few months, and while we generally love the vehicle the ride is really unpleasant. We feel every bump in the road, big or small. Medium to large gaps in the road cause the vehicle to rock front to back more than I would expect on a new vehicle. I took it back to dealer and had them drive the vehicle (…while I had the leak in my A/C fixed - wtf Honda). Unsurprisingly, they told me the ride was normal and that my salesperson was apparently wrong about the ride quality between trim levels.

Interestingly, the service tech indicated that the Touring models have different front and rear shock absorbers compared to the other trims (the full response is copied verbatim below). This was news to me as its not mentioned in the Honda specs or any where online. Can anyone confirm what the differences are in the suspension between trim levels?

Living in Alberta (Canada) the roads are pretty shit, I’m not sure we would have bought the vehicle if we had test driven the model we took off the lot. After reading other reviews and many of the comments in this forum, other drivers seem to universally praise the ride quality. We have a 15 year old KIA that's more comfortable to drive than this new $50K vehicle. Can any other Elite/Touring owners comment on the ride quality, or am I just out to lunch?

Service Story:
VEHICLE WAS TEST DRIVEN ON THE HIGHWAY AND DID NOT NOTICE ANYTHING OUT OF THE NORM. THE VEHICLE SUSPENSION AND UNDERCARRIAGE WERE CHECKED AND FOUND THAT ALL COMPONENTS ARE GOOD. ANOTHER HONDA PASSPORT OF THE SAME MODEL WAS TEST DRIVEN AND FOUND SIMILAR RIDE QUALITY CHARACTERISTICS. TAKE NOTE THAT COMPARED TO OTHER TRIM MODELS, THE TOURING MODELS HAVE A SPORT LIKE SUSPENSION SHOCK ABSORBER ON THE FRONT AND REAR OF THE VEHICLE. DUE TO THIS, A HARSHER/FIRMER RIDE FEEL WILL BE EVIDENT.

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
450 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The different suspensions is news to me, but a lot of people on here have traded the stock 20” wheels and tires for 18’s. They say it makes the ride less stiff. Personally, I’m fine with how my Elite rides with the stock wheels and tires.

·
Registered
462 Posts
18" wheels with tires that are the same outside diameter as the OEM 20" tires will give you a much higher sidewall and thus a much more comfortable ride. Of course, a lot depends on the new tires. I would suggest calling and discussing it with Tire Rack.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
825 Posts
My 2020 Elite is comfortable to drive. Nothing that makes me regret my purchase. It does have a tight/firm feel to it, but bumps are not jarring. It is a sportier ride more than a cushier Pilot-like ride. If your roads are crappy, then you may be feeling the pain of a stiffer suspension than others may experience. I’m not a big fan of the 20” wheels, but like I said, the ride is quite comfortable. Most of the roads I drive on are in pretty good shape. New Jersey is the state of endless repaving, at least on the major roads. I drive 150-200 miles each weekend, and so far, I’m pretty impressed with the ride.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I do agree with you that the PP’s ride is on the firmer side. I expected a much plusher ride common to a large suv. The big wheels and relatively short sidewalls are the culprit. But this allows this big SUV to handle surprisingly well and still be fun to drive. With that said, I still find the ride to be smooth and comfortable.

Anyway, the ride quality is obviously a subjective thing to some extent. I’m not aware of any suspension differences between the trim levels. I thought the top trim levels had slightly wider wheels but not 100%. I think if you went to a smaller wheel and larger tire combo, you may be happy- like a set from a Ridgeline.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have both OEM 20 and 245 50r 20 tires and 18" wheels from a Ridgeline and 245 60r 18 tires it is like night and day difference. Quieter, rides better and I don't see a bit of difference in handling. The big thing is I have some side wall and curbs are going to hit the wheel.......

·
Super Moderator
2,453 Posts
I also have never heard of any difference in the Shocks, one way to verify this is to contact the Honda Parts department and ask for the part number for an Elite/Touring shock and a Sport/EX-L shock and see if they are in fact different part numbers!

I also recommend going to a 265 60 R18 tire on a 18" wheel..

·
Registered
163 Posts
I also have never heard of any difference in the Shocks, one way to verify this is to contact the Honda Parts department and ask for the part number for an Elite/Touring shock and a Sport/EX-L shock and see if they are in fact different part numbers!

I also recommend going to a 265 60 R18 tire on a 18" wheel..
That size you 265 60 r 18 is too large in diameter 30.5" a 245 60r 18 is 29" in diameter same as 245 50r 20 OEM and 265 45r 20.......

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have both OEM 20 and 245 50r 20 tires and 18" wheels from a Ridgeline and 245 60r 18 tires it is like night and day difference. Quieter, rides better and I don't see a bit of difference in handling. The big thing is I have some side wall and curbs are going to hit the wheel.......
I feel the PP rollover onto the sidewalls when cornering hard already with the 50 series. No doubt a 60 series would slow me down at least 5 mph and induce some push/sliding. But most people probably drive their PP like the big suv it is and would never know the difference.

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
450 Posts
Touring/Elite Shock Absorber Unit, Rear - Honda (52611-TGS-A11)
Sport/EXL Shock Absorber Unit, Rear - Honda (52611-TGS-A02)
I learned something new.

·
Registered
462 Posts
In addition, I believe the AWD PPs have a slightly higher ground clearance due to a difference in the springs. If so, stands to reason that an AWD Touring or Elite should ride a little stiffer than a FWD Sport or EXL. Assuming OEM wheels and tires and 37 psi in the tires.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I feel the PP rollover onto the sidewalls when cornering hard already with the 50 series. No doubt a 60 series would slow me down at least 5 mph and induce some push/sliding. But most people probably drive their PP like the big suv it is and would never know the difference.
Being im 76 I see no difference with the way I drive now. Having had a 1967 911S and Corvettes and a Cobra I think I can qualify my statement.LOL you would have to call 911 to get out one those babies now

·
Registered
312 Posts
Being im 76 I see no difference with the way I drive now. Having had a 1967 911S and Corvettes and a Cobra I think I can qualify my statement.LOL you would have to call 911 to get out one those babies now
I’m envious. Never had anything terribly exciting, YET. All sport compacts. That new Supra has been in my dreams lately. At 42, I do still drive like a 16 y/o male at times just in a manner that’s a hair back from the edge. Anyway, my opinion is this PP handles surprisingly well for it’s size albeit at the sacrifice of a little ride quality.

Edit: completely forgot my ‘92 Mustang GT. Not all rice cars. Will never forget the sound of that v8 with the flow masters.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was blessed with good paying jobs in my dyad I remember going to the dealership and trading my newer VW in on that 67 911s it was silver with black leather. It was a Keeper but young and dumb go to gather like ham and eggs...
For my needs now the PP. far exceed my need for speed and handling, but I just went down to the HomeDepot and put to new storm doors in the PP. and closed the hatch....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was blessed with good paying jobs in my dyad I remember going to the dealership and trading my newer VW in on that 67 911s it was silver with black leather. It was a Keeper but young and dumb go to gather like ham and eggs...
For my needs now the PP. far exceed my need for speed and handling, but I just went down to the HomeDepot and put to new storm doors in the PP. and closed the hatch....
😂

1 - 17 of 17 Posts