Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Passport was 24 hours old so I thought I'd start tearing it apart.
The dashcam I have runs on 5v USB so was looking for mounting locations for the 12v to USB converter. I looked up under the driver's side although it's quite busy with the two brakes, throttle, OBD2, fuse box, steering, etc. so went looking for other areas that might be available.
I removed the panel under the glove box (four clips on the top of the panel & two lower alignment pegs on the bottom) It comes off quite easily in a straight downward direction of the clips. I used a plastic trim removal tool, but a plastic knife works also.
Under the panel is the ventilation blower, but to the right of that is a rather large empty area. I have an EX-L, so the Touring or Elite may have additional goodies in that spot. It looks like something else goes there because there are two unused studs welded to the chassis. (I used one as the grounding point for the adapter).
I took a scrap piece of wire and snaked it down from the top of the dash in the corner and it came through right where I needed it to. I used that to tape the usb cable to it and pulled it up through with enough slack to reach the camera which I mounted behind the mirror, then loosely hid the cable under the headliner & A pillar trim. I'm probably going to get some weather stripping foam to keep the cable from falling back out in a couple spots. The 12v to usb converter has double sided tape on it to secure it.
Hardest part was passing the 12v lead from the adapter over to the fuse box on the driver's side. I made sure it was away from moving parts and used a piggyback fuse on the #40, "ACC" 7.5 fuse. I used a 5A fuse for the side going to the USB adapter.

Sorry for the poor quality pics.

h1.jpg
c3.jpg
a4.jpg
i7.jpg h1.jpg b2.jpg c3.jpg a4.jpg i7.jpg

h1.jpg

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
155 Posts
Glad you made this post, its finally time to install my front and rear dash cams. Thank you for the pics and details!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Interesting way to do it. I have been wanting to do similar. I'm concerned with running anything through A pillar or such due to the air bags being in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm concerned with running anything through A pillar or such due to the air bags being in there.
I'm not too concerned about it compromising the airbag. The wire is tucked in along the trim and windshield, not between the bag & occupant. This is how I did it, but not suggesting or guaranteeing there is no risk at all. And of course I wouldn't jam anything like a screwdriver or similar in there to push the wire in. There was so much gap on mine that I may have to put a little weather stripping foam to keep it from falling out.
Thanks for the comment & good luck with yours. A few years ago I never thought I would have wanted such a thing as a dash cam, but I have used it to review video on several occasions & find it a must have now.

I had a motorcycle on a trailer behind my truck on this one. Good thing I had it secured down well, and shows a good reason not to swerve because I'm sure the trailer would have swung around.

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
155 Posts
Got my front & rear camera mounted today and ran/tucked the wire for the rear camera. Just need to hardwire it now. 👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts