Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK ...So, I just wanted to use the Hands-free tailgate by using my foot. It has worked before and I know the settings are correct. When I waive my foot under the sensor today, NOTHING !!!! Could it be that it's raining hard today and the sensor is too wet to function ?
This and my Auto Idle stop not working is really disappointing me ...AAArgh !!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
OK ...So, I just wanted to use the Hands-free tailgate by using my foot. It has worked before and I know the settings are correct. When I waive my foot under the sensor today, NOTHING !!!! Could it be that it's raining hard today and the sensor is too wet to function ?
This and my Auto Idle stop not working is really disappointing me ...AAArgh !!!
Manual says this about tailgate operation see attached. So wet weather can affect operation

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: The tailgate is working. I think it was just a matter of me hitting the "sweet spot" with my leg and probably the combination of that and the driving rain ….

·
461 Posts
The handsfree liftgate is pretty handy as I have used it a few times now and I thought who cares when the sales lady showed me / one funny thing tho we have a couple of small terriers (15 pounders) and the Cairn walked under the PP and hit the sensor spot and the trunk opened as I was standing close by with the fob in my pocket and it took me a few to figure it out ? ?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sweep the leg, Johnny.

I had the hitch installed at the dealer which requires changing the sensor position for the automatic tailgate. It's working but I have to sweep my leg from center to the passenger side to trigger it. I'm wondering if they installed the sensor sideways. Is everyone able to operate it with a straight kick movement or is a sideways sweep normal?

·
461 Posts
I was shown st8 kick at the dealer but after my hitch it’s sorta to the right of the middle I figured out on my own as the st8 kick wasn’t doing it so I use a small sweep for me/hope this makes sense but sounds pretty similar and my neighbor probably thinks I have issues. ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wanted to post these pics of the hands free sensor since I know what it looks like because I attempted to install the trailer hitch and new hands free sensor my self but pulling the rear bumper off stopped me.
PIC#1 Shows the actual old rear panel with the old sensor connected to the long plastic brace that needs to be replaced on top (that your dealer stayed with and is probably going to sell to someone who wants to upgrade their passport sport to hands free)
hands free 1.jpg

PIC#2 Shows the old brace and sensor with the 2 (30 inch) sensor cables that I pulled off the brace so you can get a better idea of what they look like(they actually look like the cable from your cable box) on top and the new brace that you have to cut about a 1/4 off with the new sensor and 8 inch cables on the bottom.I didn't get a chance to take pics of the new panel with the holes cut out for the tailer hitch or the short sensor but it looks just like the old one just with the shorter sensor cables.so your sensor area goes from about the whole length of that small bottom panel with out the hitch to about 8 inches to the right of the trailer hitch.
hands free 2.jpg

PIC#3 shows the old sensor on top and where the new one needed to be cut with the new sensor on the bottom.
hands free 3 (1).jpg

I hope this helps everybody get a better understanding of how it looks and works,I always thought it was some kind of eye that worked the rear hands free.

·
Registered
498 Posts
@izzym , You were not able or did not attempt to remove the rear bumper yourself? I crawled under the bumper today, in hopes that the black cover (to be replaced by the new hitch cover) can be removed without disassembling the entire bumper. Unfortunately, the top right-side bolt on the cover is not accessible due to structural metal pieces. I did find a video on releasing the clips at the seam between the rear quarter panel and the rear bumper, at 0:50 mark. There are clips at the rear tail lights to be released, too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
DudeCS , I tried and took off all of the clips,anchors and screws but the two top bolts I couldn't reach and I didn't want to start pulling and take a chance of breaking anything, so I put everything back on and some one on this forum sent me a link that showed me that the rear bumber,rear wheel trim and tail lights need to come off.If the car was 10 years old I probably would of done it but I wasn't going to take a chance on a brand new car,I have never taken off body panels off a car and I wasn't going to try now.I took it to by local body shop and they did it all with the hitch for 100 dollars.This is what a member sent me (Pdog) if you want to try it yourself ,hope it helps... https://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/passport/2019/trailerhitch.pdf

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not sure what the sensor is wanting in order to activate the hands free tailgate, but when I wear white tennis shoes it works and when I wear brown leather shoes it does not.

Help please.

·
461 Posts
Not sure what the sensor is wanting in order to activate the hands free tailgate, but when I wear white tennis shoes it works and when I wear brown leather shoes it does not.

Help please.
Interesting observation / wonder if the sensor prefers bright colors / we have two smaller terriers and the lighter one has accidentally triggered the sensor but not the darker one ???

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
2,597 Posts
Maybe not so helpful, but I wear gray Merrell Jungle Mocs and they trigger it up & down just fine!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,677 Posts
Mine never worked. The dealer had it one two separate occasions and both times they told me it was fixed. I’ve given up on this feature for now and move on...

Reactions: bty890

·
Registered
534 Posts
After a month and a half of ownership mine started working intermittently. My wife tried it and it worked every time. I found that I was performing the "kick motion" too quickly. A slow kick motion seems to work best for me. Not too slow, not too fast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts