Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Passport EX-L 2WD
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using a hand sanitizer wipe and placed it down on cup holder shifter console and it stripped the paint off. So now it’s a discolored strip and looks bad. Anyone have this issue and any fix?

Car Vehicle Product Automotive design Plant

·
Registered
830 Posts
Not surprising,70% or more isopropyl alcohol is the active ingredient in most hand sanitizers. Isopropyl alcohol, will often cause a white dull haze on various forms of plastics.

As for restoration you might try something like Dr. Beasleys or some other make of plastic restorer.

·
Registered
314 Posts
That sucks… if paint coating is gone I’m thinking you have 3 choices:
1) Remove and repaint and clearcoat
2) Buy the replacement console trim piece (pricey)
3) Buy like a carbon fiber trim kit and just use the center console pieces so you cover the bad paint, but don’t change the entire interior look too much

·
Registered
3 Posts
$51.91 before shipping for that part:

I haven’t had to pop the center console trim cover off in my Passport but have done it in my Civic and if they’re similar at all, it’s likely just a bunch of clips holding it in place.

·
Registered
21 Passport AWD EXL
10 Posts
I was using a hand sanitizer wipe and placed it down on cup holder shifter console and it stripped the paint off. So now it’s a discolored strip and looks bad. Anyone have this issue and any fix?

View attachment 16015
Some pretty strong chemicals in that stuff, can you imagine what is being absorbed through your skin into your body?
Same thing happened to me near starter button. Stelerships won’t help you and I don’t think Honda will either although I am trying. I know on thing though, I will look closely on any new vehicle for that cheap plastic that goes into the dashboard. I wonder if new 23 CRV has this problem, anyone know?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I doubt that panel is painted, it probably just needs a plastic polisher or something similar. I would give Griots Garage a call and maybe send them a photo of the piece, they may be able to recommend a product. I’ve had very good luck with their detailing products, especially their plastic restorer

·
Registered
416 Posts
I doubt that panel is painted, it probably just needs a plastic polisher or something similar. I would give Griots Garage a call and maybe send them a photo of the piece, they may be able to recommend a product. I’ve had very good luck with their detailing products, especially their plastic restorer
It is painted. It's a metallic grey. You can see the bare black plastic showing through towards the shifter.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Passport EX-L 2WD
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the feedback, it was all very helpful, because Honda paints the top of the plastic, the only way to correct this is to replace the plastic ( I will order the 60.00 part that was provided here), and just be careful moving forward.

View attachment 16015

·
Registered
21 Passport AWD EXL
10 Posts
Just get a new one for the $50 bucks as noted on the link above and replace yourself. If youre skittish, have a trusted body shop or dealer do it. It wont cost a ton and youll be good as new.
In a non-fairytale world the stealership might want $400 to install too. Mine did for the strip above the place you are talking about. Find an independent and trusted body shop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts