Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2021 Elite (5k miles) has developed a grinding sound on cold start that lasts for maybe a second and then it stops.
It only does it during the initial start up after sitting overnight. No further grinding noise during the rest of the day startups.
Some folks on a Pilot forum have experienced the same noise I've described but no defined conclusion. Some thought it was an A/C compressor issue. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a little over 6k on my 21 and have noticed the same. It seems to have started recently though, hasn't been doing it since it was new for me. Interested to hear from others.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a little over 6k on my 21 and have noticed the same. It seems to have started recently though, hasn't been doing it since it was new for me. Interested to hear from others.
Does yours do it just on cold start?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Is it something that can be noticed while windows up and ac on during the car's start? Just wondering so I can listen next time. I'm at around 4600 miles.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it something that can be noticed while windows up and ac on during the car's start? Just wondering so I can listen next time. I'm at around 4600 miles.
Sometimes the grinding noise at cold start is louder than at other times. I have listened for it with the windows up and it can be heard if you're listening for it. Until recently, I did not know it might have something to do with the A/C compressor and paid no attention to the A/C being on or off during cold start. On my next cold start I'll make sure my A/C is off and listen for the grinding noise. I'll post what I find. My other 2021 Passport has 1600 miles on it and does not make any grinding noise on cold start. A dealer won't be able to duplicate the grinding noise unless they agree to let me leave it there overnight so they can start it in the morning. Even then, unless the tech. is paying attention with windows & or door open he won't hear it and it won't make the noise after the initial cold start. I know I'll hear "we couldn't duplicate the noise. Have a good day"
What a pain in the butt. I'll probably just wait until something fails and get it repaired then.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Check out my experience. Please read to the end
Notice to that I posted a link to the most common sounds.
I never had any of these sounds until around 5k mi.

I've heard mechanical noise so loud that it scared me to walk in front of PP when my wife was starting it. I thought something broke and would be flying thru the radiator.

I've been meaning to attempt to build a 'muffler' block of foam to fit in the area where the umbrella valve is to block any noise from it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sometimes the grinding noise at cold start is louder than at other times. I have listened for it with the windows up and it can be heard if you're listening for it. Until recently, I did not know it might have something to do with the A/C compressor and paid no attention to the A/C being on or off during cold start. On my next cold start I'll make sure my A/C is off and listen for the grinding noise. I'll post what I find. My other 2021 Passport has 1600 miles on it and does not make any grinding noise on cold start. A dealer won't be able to duplicate the grinding noise unless they agree to let me leave it there overnight so they can start it in the morning. Even then, unless the tech. is paying attention with windows & or door open he won't hear it and it won't make the noise after the initial cold start. I know I'll hear "we couldn't duplicate the noise. Have a good day"
What a pain in the butt. I'll probably just wait until something fails and get it repaired then.
Update......I cold started this morning with A/C off. The grinding noise was very, very faint but could be heard because I had the door open and my head hanging out listening for it. On some cold starts it's quite noticeable and other cold starts not so much. Happens on cold starts only. Nothing to do with cold weather.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Update......I cold started this morning with A/C off. The grinding noise was very, very faint but could be heard because I had the door open and my head hanging out listening for it. On some cold starts it's quite noticeable and other cold starts not so much. Happens on cold starts only. Nothing to do with cold weather.
If Honda history repeats itself, if you take it in your will get "normal," "could not duplicate," If it's broken, there is a TSB or a recall, only then you will get some cooperation. Otherwise it will just be lip service to "handle" you and do what service departments do, explain everything away. Other t.han creating a record on your file a dealer visit would be a waste of time.

One other thing you could try to track is when you shut the PP off, do you just hit the stop/start or do you put it in park and then hit the stop/start? On the Ridgeline forum there are videos of 9 speed Ridgelines jumping forward with remote start but the issue seems to never happen when one of the turning off the engine methods is used. Curious if this could be a contributor to the noise and if it's possibly coming from the transmission. It doesn't apply here but Hondas of the past were known for a VTC actuator noise on startup which I don't believe had a fix.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If Honda history repeats itself, if you take it in your will get "normal," "could not duplicate," If it's broken, there is a TSB or a recall, only then you will get some cooperation. Otherwise it will just be lip service to "handle" you and do what service departments do, explain everything away. Other t.han creating a record on your file a dealer visit would be a waste of time.

One other thing you could try to track is when you shut the PP off, do you just hit the stop/start or do you put it in park and then hit the stop/start? On the Ridgeline forum there are videos of 9 speed Ridgelines jumping forward with remote start but the issue seems to never happen when one of the turning off the engine methods is used. Curious if this could be a contributor to the noise and if it's possibly coming from the transmission. It doesn't apply here but Hondas of the past were known for a VTC actuator noise on startup which I don't believe had a fix.
I appreciate your input.
Cold started this morning with A/C off and no grinding noise at all. None, zippo, nothing. Just a normal startup.
Yesterday on startup as I mentioned earlier, only a very faint grinding noise with A/C off.
I shut the engine off by hitting stop/start as well as putting into park and then start/stop. What would make you think it could possibly coming from the transmission? I'm as layman as they come but, I think it's a starter problem.
The strange thing is it only happens on the first cold start only. I can shut it off as soon as the short grinding noise stops, restart and stop multiple times and it won't make the noise then or for the rest of the day.
As we both agree. The dealer won't do anything until they can duplicate the cold start grinding noise.
Even then, they'll probably want the noise to be easily duplicated before they'll do anything. I'm not going to play the back and forth to the dealer game hoping to get a fix. I'll use my other Passport for any trips of distance until this one fails or the noise is easily duplicated.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm only guessing about the trans and figure I'd throw it out there since you seem like the type to tinker.. You know know the combinations of how you shut off the PP so it would be easy to rule out coincidences. If you haven't heard about the one with a firm brake pedal on morning start that's another one that's fixable but Honda puts up some resistance. The noise you describe is starter teeth grinding with the flywheel? Let's not hope this is not an issue. I had a starter problem with my Accord that was widely covered in the forums that's not 100% fixable so it played into my trading it in last month. It involved rotating the torque converter or flywheel two bolt holes. Honda never offered out of warranty support.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm only guessing about the trans and figure I'd throw it out there since you seem like the type to tinker.. You know know the combinations of how you shut off the PP so it would be easy to rule out coincidences. If you haven't heard about the one with a firm brake pedal on morning start that's another one that's fixable but Honda puts up some resistance. The noise you describe is starter teeth grinding with the flywheel? Let's not hope this is not an issue. I had a starter problem with my Accord that was widely covered in the forums that's not 100% fixable so it played into my trading it in last month. It involved rotating the torque converter or flywheel two bolt holes. Honda never offered out of warranty support.
But why only on that first crank cold start and then not repeatable until it sits and becomes cold again?
No...I've not heard about the firm brake pedal issue. What is that all about? These two 2021 Passports are the first Honda's I've owned since 1988. I guess they don't build them like they used to.

·
Registered
373 Posts
But why only on that first crank cold start and then not repeatable until it sits and becomes cold again?
No...I've not heard about the firm brake pedal issue. What is that all about? These two 2021 Passports are the first Honda's I've owned since 1988. I guess they don't build them like they used to.
Maybe it's about oil settling? Heat? I've never heard about it on the Rideline forum and I read most of everything there. Maybe you are very observant and most others miss it. If you have the extended warranty that would help if it breaks. I haven't checked PP starter prices but on the Accord they are in the $700 range.
If I go into detail about the brake pedal issue, the mods will just edit my post. If you don't have it , that's great, no worries.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe it's about oil settling? Heat? I've never heard about it on the Rideline forum and I read most of everything there. Maybe you are very observant and most others miss it. If you have the extended warranty that would help if it breaks. I haven't checked PP starter prices but on the Accord they are in the $700 range.
If I go into detail about the brake pedal issue, the mods will just edit my post. If you don't have it , that's great, no worries.
Whatever this symptom is, I think something will fail before powertrain warranty expires. I doubt I'll still own either of these two Passports even before the 3 year/36k mi. expires. I've several other vehicles I want to experience in my retirement before.........game over. Thanks for all your info. Take care.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same cold start issue. To me it sounds like a knock in the engine for a second. It has been happening since new and I have about 5000 miles on it. I keep thinking it is the oil not circulating yet on the cold starts. Until I hear that somebody has had it resolved by the dealer, I won't take it in. It makes my blood boil when I hear the service writer say that he has never head of that before.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the same cold start issue. To me it sounds like a knock in the engine for a second. It has been happening since new and I have about 5000 miles on it. I keep thinking it is the oil not circulating yet on the cold starts. Until I hear that somebody has had it resolved by the dealer, I won't take it in. It makes my blood boil when I hear the service writer say that he has never head of that before.
Perhaps we're hearing the same noise but describing it differently.
The noise I hear is a grinding sound not a knock & wasn't happening when new but at about 4k miles.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Everything I see on youtube with that noise refers to the starter in the comments section.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts