Honda Passport Forum banner
161 - 180 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
You observed Hondas (open road, easy/ steady pace) momentary peaks, not a true long distance average.

The only way to know your true MPG numbers are to consistently track it (mile after mile, tank after tank).
Come on Wrascal - Josef simply posted that he averaged 29 & 27.5 MPG on a specific road trip. And that he drove "gentle on the throttle".
He confirmed that he posted Honda's trip computer number, and I don't doubt him.
I also believe he may have achieved close to those figures, too, be it your Fuelly app or pencil, paper, and long division.
Josef posted about a single trip, not his average MPG of time. Careful driving and throttle management can yield impressive results.
After purchasing our Passport, after it's 165-mile drive home, with careful driving; Honda trip computer stated 28.5 MPG.
Tank filled at dealership immediately before leaving; 164.6 miles trip home; all highway; 55-60 MPH; gentle road; fillup at gas station immediately before arriving home (5.84 gallons, $16.90); Pencil/paper/long-division results: 28.185 MPG. And yes, I track every fillup & maintenance in my little car book.
Very likely Josef is a better driver than my wife, too (hope she doesn't see this post)

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,163 Posts
All true, HOWEVER outsiders considering a PP may assume that his result is typical of everyday driving. I'd rather they be informed vs. disappointed.
Over its life 21 MPG is an attainable everyday average, 28 is not.

Another note: the reason for tracking this over many Many tankfuls is to account for the differences in when you stop pumping fuel. You likely will not consistantly fill it slam full multiple back to back times but eventually this discrepancy will show up with later fill-ups.

Incidentally - I've long stated that white vehicles get better MPG; you've just proven my theory.

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
450 Posts
I drove from my company’s Fort Worth office to our Dallas office a couple of weeks ago and the trip computer said that I got 32.5 MPG. There was hardly any traffic on I-30 so I was able to set my cruise control and just go.

I work in IT. I have a letter in my car that says I’m essential but I haven’t had to show it to anyone. When all this is over maybe I’ll hang it on the wall in my office.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,163 Posts
A 30 mile commute at a steady uninterrupted pace is ideal for appearing as a high miler vehicle.
Meticulously track your fuel (and miles) for several consecutive months and let us know the results.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I know that my Passport doesn’t get 30 miles to the gallon, I just thought it was cool to see 32.5 on the trip computer. It’s never been that high before or since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Come on Wrascal - Josef simply posted that he averaged 29 & 27.5 MPG on a specific road trip. And that he drove "gentle on the throttle".
He confirmed that he posted Honda's trip computer number, and I don't doubt him.
I also believe he may have achieved close to those figures, too, be it your Fuelly app or pencil, paper, and long division.
Josef posted about a single trip, not his average MPG of time. Careful driving and throttle management can yield impressive results.
After purchasing our Passport, after it's 165-mile drive home, with careful driving; Honda trip computer stated 28.5 MPG.
Tank filled at dealership immediately before leaving; 164.6 miles trip home; all highway; 55-60 MPH; gentle road; fillup at gas station immediately before arriving home (5.84 gallons, $16.90); Pencil/paper/long-division results: 28.185 MPG. And yes, I track every fillup & maintenance in my little car book.
Very likely Josef is a better driver than my wife, too (hope she doesn't see this post)
Also, I forgot to mention that i have the VCM tuner 2 thingy installed, which prevents my PP from cruising on only 3 cylinders. It seems like around town, I get less mpg, but still in the low 20's.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just did a trip for work round trip 1200kms(756 miles) averaged 10l/100km (23.5mpg) mostly 4 lane highway doing
125 to 130kph there was 110kms of 80-90km too
all in all not to bad just wish it didnt have stupid honda non sensing and the crappy infotainment..

·
Registered
29 Posts
When we decided on a PP instead of the Mazda CX-9, my biggest concern was the PP's gas mileage. I've been driving a 2014 Subaru Forester which averaged 30-31 on the highway. We've only had our 2020 Elite since Thursday, but in two trips, we've gotten about 30 mpg on both trips (210 miles and 190 miles). Both were mostly freeway on Ohio's rolling roads going the posted speed limits. I'm very pleased. I hope it continues. We have a small teardrop trailer that weighs about 1350# loaded. It will be interesting to see what kind of gas mileage I get towing that. I got about 20mpg with the Forester.

·
Registered
173 Posts
First gas mileage calculation for my new 7 day old car - 23 miles per gallon..not in Econ mode.... Will be interesting to see next week when I take a long distance trip...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have 19000 miles on mine and at 70 mph (100% highway) I get consistent 28 mpg. Combine at latest fill 24.5. What’s not to like in this large an automobile

Reactions: stevenD

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’ve had my Passport AWD for 5 days and am averaging 18mpg in mixed driving. A little lower than expected. Is this the norm amongst Passport owners ?
If your drive is strictly in town, stop and go, you might never see 20 mpg’s. Not with this engine. Mixed with highway however, mileage will be much better.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
My Passport gets better gas mileage than my Chevy Equinox did. I'm getting between 24 and 26 MPG, where the Equinox only got between 20 and 21 MPG.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Elite
4 Posts
Just got an Elite about a month ago. I'm averaging 13-14 mpg around town, which was pretty surprising to me. Our Jeep Grand Cherokee gets 16-17, so I thought the Passport would be comparable if not better for in town. I'm planning a road trip from NJ to FL to see the in-laws, so I'm hoping I'll get well over 20. I'll be disappointed otherwise. MPG wasn't a buying factor for me, but it has been a bit of a surprise so far.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,110 Posts
Just got an Elite about a month ago. I'm averaging 13-14 mpg around town, which was pretty surprising to me. Our Jeep Grand Cherokee gets 16-17, so I thought the Passport would be comparable if not better for in town. I'm planning a road trip from NJ to FL to see the in-laws, so I'm hoping I'll get well over 20. I'll be disappointed otherwise. MPG wasn't a buying factor for me, but it has been a bit of a surprise so far.
You driving in "S: mode? that sounds unbelievably low...
Can you post a pic from your Trip display?

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,110 Posts
Dang, that is low!

Here is something you could try: Fill up/top off your tank, reset the travel-meter and drive 3 or 4 days with the ECON button pushed in, then refill the tank and check your mileage...

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Elite
4 Posts
Dang, that is low!

Here is something you could try: Fill up/top off your tank, reset the travel-meter and drive 3 or 4 days with the ECON button pushed in, then refill the tank and check your mileage...
oof. the ECON button, that's a big ask, lol. Now that you mention it, that reading is from the first tank. I'll keep an eye on the next couple.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Made 300+ mile trip in midwest week ago. It took around 5 hours one way , mostly on highways. On the way up ,my trip odometer shows close to 28 mpg. On the way back, around 26. Most of the trip was with ACC and ECO mode
turned on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just finished a 2,000 mile trip to the peoples republic of kalif. Avg 25 mpg, doing 75-85. Very comfortable except for the armrests. When you lean the passenger chairback, the armrest stays too high. Will be looking for a very firm square pillow, maybe find a light gray leather or if naugahide are in season, may try to cover to match seats.

161 - 180 of 217 Posts