Honda Passport Forum banner
181 - 200 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Elite
4 Posts
I did a 2k+ mile too roundtrip from NJ to FL. I averaged 24-26 mpg. I have it reset at each fill-up, so at any point, it was somewhere in that range. No ECO or Sport. Definitely relieved my concerns from my last post about sub 15mpg city marks.

Overall a pretty great road trip vehicle, but I agree having some sort of middle console cushion would be nice. Maybe make a leather-wrapped foam block lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For some reason, I am getting only 15.6 MPG in the City, even when I am in Eco mode. When Eco Mode is off, I am getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 14.5 14.0 Miles per gallon. I took it to my local Honda dealer in Columbia, MO and they said that was normal. I don't think so. For that I would have bought a large truck. Any Ideas on the issue with gas mileage here. I have a 2019 exl, AWD. With tow package. Would the tow package bring down the gas mileage that bad? I haven't even towed anything yet. I'm very disappointed in the gas mileage with this SUV. And the Dealer also said I'd need to put premium in it to get the "ideal number" that was on the sticker. Guess I should have bought something else, cause I'm getting no acknowledgement from the dealer. I have around 3500 miles on it .

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,110 Posts
For some reason, I am getting only 15.6 MPG in the City, even when I am in Eco mode. When Eco Mode is off, I am getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 14.5 14.0 Miles per gallon. I took it to my local Honda dealer in Columbia, MO and they said that was normal. I don't think so. For that I would have bought a large truck. Any Ideas on the issue with gas mileage here. I have a 2019 exl, AWD. With tow package. Would the tow package bring down the gas mileage that bad? I haven't even towed anything yet. I'm very disappointed in the gas mileage with this SUV. And the Dealer also said I'd need to put premium in it to get the "ideal number" that was on the sticker. Guess I should have bought something else, cause I'm getting no acknowledgement from the dealer. I have around 3500 miles on it .
Seems low to me too, not surprising at all that the Dealer doesn't want to get involved...

·
Registered
107 Posts
2019 Sport AWD, I get about 18 mpg US in town driving gently and 14 mpg if I horse it. About 27-28 US on the highway. If I go right at the speed limit and drive real gentle on the highway about 30 mpg US.

Driving behavior makes a big difference to this V6, IMO.

·
Registered
2019 Elite B.F,2020 Ridgeline
193 Posts
Just some thoughts
Air filter, Mass Airflow sensor, partially stuck brake caliper, low tire pressure and are you driving stock tires, driving style, carrying extra weight, running A/C a lot.
Probably all things you have thought about but that's what comes to mind.

My wife has lead foot, especially at takeoff, and if she is driving , mpg's suffer for sure

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 2020 EX-L with 1500 miles on it is giving me 19 mpg in stop and go driving, haven't done enough highway driving to get past 20.5. I also do a fair amount of idling which probably holds me back somewhat, unfortunately. My 2018 Crosstrek was only giving me 22.5 mpg (6 MT) however the performance of the PP is offsetting the additional fuel expense : ) Hopefully after break-in and some freshy synthetic oil she'll reward me with another 1-2 mpg.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Pete, your going in the right direction regarding improved milage. However, your still probably in the break-in oil phase of maintenance, and your recent driving style is the least favorable to good mileage numbers. Compare these numbers with ones when you take your fire long-distance drive. I have almost 13k on my 2019 Elite and even in mixed drive styles, I'm getting 22 to 24 mpg. Keep your tires inflated at the recommended 37 PSI and with no unnecessary cargo and you will see improvement.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the reply EP ! I have winter coming fast which won't bode well for my idling time either. I refuse to use the ECO mode due to reduced power and possible long term engine wear/issues. On the plus side the varying engine speeds are giving me a good "running in" as the Brits say. My oil is at 70% right now and I did add a half quart last week. Time will tell I reckon...

·
Registered
2020 Passport EX-L Black Copper w/ black interior.
21 Posts
2020 EX-L AWD
Overall average 23.1 MPG. Currently at 6,800 miles. I'm in ECO Mode and do mostly Highway miles ( 70% /30% ). Very happy with that number. Beats my Wifes' 2018 RX350. 😊

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2019 EXL AWD and I am averaging 14 MPG in town and 15.6 on Eco mode. What happened to Honda and their gas mileage. Or maybe it's just mine. My Chrysler Pacifica was getting better gas mileage, and that car was a lemon. Any Idea what might be wrong with mine?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have a 2019 EXL AWD and I am averaging 14 MPG in town and 15.6 on Eco mode. What happened to Honda and their gas mileage. Or maybe it's just mine. My Chrysler Pacifica was getting better gas mileage, and that car was a lemon. Any Idea what might be wrong with mine?
Tekrob, I've got 13k miles on my 2019 Elite (purchased April 2019) and routinely get 21 in town and 25 mph on trips. I've never yet used the Eco mode and drive conservatively. I maintain the 37psi tire pressure and don't carry around unnecessary 'stuff' in the back and use the "D" setting for all my driving. Driving styles have a lot to do with gas mileage. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Elite Lunar Silver Metallic/Black
43 Posts
Nearly 2k miles and averaging 21 MPG. Would of course like better and I am mostly on ECO mode. Can say I am a little heavy on the Pedal, but also work a 9-5 Job so I hit NY traffic daily...

·
Registered
923 Posts
Nearly 2k miles and averaging 21 MPG. Would of course like better and I am mostly on ECO mode. Can say I am a little heavy on the Pedal, but also work a 9-5 Job so I hit NY traffic daily...
One other thought to keep in mind, which I have mentioned earlier on the Forum. SUV's as a class don't have ideal aerodynamic properties. One member once commented that his 2012 Pilot has the aerodynamic styling of a brick. There is a tradeoff between the fuel consumption of our pilots and their practical design.

·
Registered
2021 passport sport 2wd
13 Posts
I’ve just purchased my 2 wheel drive model 4 days ago and I’m still on the last remaining gallons of the first tank , I traded in a 2019 accord 1.5 turbo that averaged 33 mpg on my daily work commute , so for on my commute in the passport I am averaging 26-27mpg I drive 38 miles to work in the morning and 38 miles back in the afternoon my route is composed of 28 miles on a 55mpg highway with no stoplights or stop signs and I set my cruise there at 61 , the remaining 10 miles is larger highway with a 65 mph speed limit that I set my cruise at 71 on ....only one stop light on the whole commute , and one small speed trap town where the speed drops to 45 , so far I’m impressed , I’ve only gotten 300 miles out of the tank so far and the trip computer estimates I have 90 miles till empty ...my accord got 470 miles to a 14 gallon tank so I’m hoping I can get somewhere near there so I can continue only filling up once a week.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I’ve just purchased my 2 wheel drive model 4 days ago and I’m still on the last remaining gallons of the first tank , I traded in a 2019 accord 1.5 turbo that averaged 33 mpg on my daily work commute , so for on my commute in the passport I am averaging 26-27mpg I drive 38 miles to work in the morning and 38 miles back in the afternoon my route is composed of 28 miles on a 55mpg highway with no stoplights or stop signs and I set my cruise there at 61 , the remaining 10 miles is larger highway with a 65 mph speed limit that I set my cruise at 71 on ....only one stop light on the whole commute , and one small speed trap town where the speed drops to 45 , so far I’m impressed , I’ve only gotten 300 miles out of the tank so far and the trip computer estimates I have 90 miles till empty ...my accord got 470 miles to a 14 gallon tank so I’m hoping I can get somewhere near there so I can continue only filling up once a week.
Welcome, Ebbyjay to the Forum. Sounds like you got the right PP for your commuting needs. You'll find a wealth of information and driver/owner experience here to further your enjoyment of your Honda.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ve had my Passport AWD for 5 days and am averaging 18mpg in mixed driving. A little lower than expected. Is this the norm amongst Passport owners ?
I have a 2020 Exl AWD with 5000 miles. My average is 17-18 mpg as well - I drive 70% city and 30% highway.

·
Premium Member
2019 Passport Elite
106 Posts
I have an AWD (Elite); I've been getting 20-21 mpg.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I’m stable around 18-20 going the backroads to work, 17-18 in just city traffic running VTM tuner2 on all six cylinders all the time.

181 - 200 of 217 Posts