Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Why do you use a gps? Is that the elite trim? Doesn’t it come with Navi?
Yes it does but I use the internal screen to monitor WAZE via CarPlay from my iPhone. The factory GPS is weak compared to my Garmin DriveSmart that contains lots more bells and whistles. I'm an old techie guy who likes bells and whistles.......and yes, Montana is called the Big Sky Country for a reason. It is absolutely beautiful in the late spring, summer and fall. It does kinda suck in the winter. That's why we go south for half of the year.

Reactions: Beachbum07

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey all!

Been doing my research on the Passport. Right now it’s my #1 pick! My fear is that infotainment issue I keep reading about. As of right now I don’t need a car so I’m looking to buy at the end of 2021. Year: 2019 Elite trim in white!

hopefully by next November I can find a lightly used or CPO for 30-35!

my #2 pick is a 2019 Jeep GC altitude package.

any updates on the infotainment issue? Did Honda figure it out? Is it software or a wire harness issue?

I’m a city guy with no kids and not looking to go off roading. Need something good for the snow if a storm comes my way or something nice for a beach day!

good day to all
I believe there are two infotainment issues, the harness which apparently causes speaker crackle and the issue I have
when you get no sound says radio unavailable then when you shut vehicle the infotainment says on until the fuse is pulled or battery cable pulled.
Mine only happens when using carplay normally running waze.
Had it happen twice where I was on a long trip got tired of listening to music
so turned radio offf and then wasn't able to turn radio back on just say radio unavailable.
Never had issue when I dont use carplay.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I reallyyyyy hope they figure it out. Luckily I’m not buying til the end of 2021. I’d be pissed if I dropped 44k on a car and it give me nothing but headaches.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey all!

Been doing my research on the Passport. Right now it’s my #1 pick! My fear is that infotainment issue I keep reading about. As of right now I don’t need a car so I’m looking to buy at the end of 2021. Year: 2019 Elite trim in white!

hopefully by next November I can find a lightly used or CPO for 30-35!

my #2 pick is a 2019 Jeep GC altitude package.

any updates on the infotainment issue? Did Honda figure it out? Is it software or a wire harness issue?

I’m a city guy with no kids and not looking to go off roading. Need something good for the snow if a storm comes my way or something nice for a beach day!

good day to all
Love the infotainment system. Much better in my 2020 Passport Elite vs one in my 2020 Acura RDX. Nav and voice commands work much faster too. Be careful with Jeeps. Not rekiae for long term. I like the Passport as not many on road whereas entire world in Jeep GC.

·
Super Moderator
2,107 Posts
Hey all!, Been doing my research on the Passport. Right now it’s my #1 pick! My fear is that infotainment issue I keep reading about. Any updates on the infotainment issue? Did Honda figure it out? Is it software or a wire harness issue?
Years ago I was considering a BMW and joined a BWM Forum. It was FILLED with complaints, issues and problems! But every BMW owner I spoke to claimed they were great cars and they loved theirs. Well I went ahead and bought a 2002 330i and it was an awesome car for the 10+ years I owned it, never broke down and a few issues here and there were minor, so I bought a 2012 328i Coupe and had that bunch of years and again, great car, no problems. In fact, for the 16+ years I drove two BMW's they were the most reliable and well built cars I have ever owned, and that includes the four Honda's and three Toyota's I've had.

What I finally figured out about the BMW site is that the people there complaining were an extreme minority and the the majority of the owners never had issues, but again, you would never know it by going to the Forum and reading the horror stories..

Well, that is EXACTLY what is happening here! I suspect that the Infotaintment issues only affect somewhere in the neighborhood of 1% to 3% of the total vehicles! Meaning 97% to 99% of the vehicles DO NOT HAVE THIS ISSUE.

It only looks massive due to the number of people with problems that join the Forum to complain or looking for others who have had the same issue. While the majority of PP owners (the ones with no problems) do not join or post on this site!

This would also explain, why Honda appears to be doing very little, as a problem that occurs in 1% of their vehicles sold is not going to trigger a global recall!

So, while I cannot guaranttee your PP will be error free, it is far less likely than what you would be led to believe by reading the complaints here.

You are making a great choice, I love mine...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Love the infotainment system. Much better in my 2020 Passport Elite vs one in my 2020 Acura RDX. Nav and voice commands work much faster too. Be careful with Jeeps. Not rekiae for long term. I like the Passport as not many on road whereas entire world in Jeep GC.
Exactly. I love how I don’t see many PP on the road. Hoping that by end of next year I can find an Elite at a dealer for like 30k. Trying not to go past 30.
But if you see a GC on CarGurus it has like 5 star reviews from owners. I think they’re reliable now!
I need to test drive both.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Years ago I was considering a BMW and joined a BWM Forum. It was FILLED with complaints, issues and problems! But every BMW owner I spoke to claimed they were great cars and they loved theirs. Well I went ahead and bought a 2002 330i and it was an awesome car for the 10+ years I owned it, never broke down and a few issues here and there were minor, so I bought a 2012 328i Coupe and had that bunch of years and again, great car, no problems. In fact, for the 16+ years I drove two BMW's they were the most reliable and well built cars I have ever owned, and that includes the four Honda's and three Toyota's I've had.

What I finally figured out about the BMW site is that the people there complaining were an extreme minority and the the majority of the owners never had issues, but again, you would never know it by going to the Forum and reading the horror stories..

Well, that is EXACTLY what is happening here! I suspect that the Infotaintment issues only affect somewhere in the neighborhood of 1% to 3% of the total vehicles! Meaning 97% to 99% of the vehicles DO NOT HAVE THIS ISSUE.

It only looks massive due to the number of people with problems that join the Forum to complain or looking for others who have had the same issue. While the majority of PP owners (the ones with no problems) do not join or post on this site!

This would also explain, why Honda appears to be doing very little, as a problem that occurs in 1% of their vehicles sold is not going to trigger a global recall!

So, while I cannot guaranttee your PP will be error free, it is far less likely than what you would be led to believe by reading the complaints here.

You are making a great choice, I love mine...
Great point! Enjoy your PP. im
Not looking to go off road at all with mine so 4x4 not a must.

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
319 Posts
I don't offroad, but I had to borrow a 2WD Touring for a few days and I missed my AWD.

·
Registered
58 Posts
negative. I want the elite trim. Awd
Where are you? I'm in California, thinking about selling mine to get something a bit more capable off road. Zero issues with mine and I've put about 25K miles on it, various pictures and info on mine posted on the site.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Please look at other models. The passport is just not a drivers car. The suspension is very stiff and this car drives you. It's no wonder there are many on the lot with huge discounts. Couldn't wait to dump my sport for a CRV.
I haven’t test drove it yet. A lot of people are loving their PP though. But I’m definitively testing out a Jeep GC too before I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Not in the market for one right now. I live overseas but got evacuated due to Covid. All my shit is at my duty station and I won’t be back in the states til the end of next year. But my plan is to find a PP and Jeep GC in my area so I can test both out so when I move back I don’t waste my time looking for a car.

I love researching cars bc I’ve been in the same one for 11 years. Excited for an upgrade.

i have a sedan and now I want an SUV and the PP has caught my eye.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just my $0.02 here ...
I chose the PP because of my history with Honda and I had been waiting for years to have a Pilot without the third row. I have owned 8 Honda cars and 3 motorcycles. Only one car gave me problems and that was a personal preference problem. The thing just did not power through corners correctly and used to piss me off to no end. That car only lasted three years in my stable, the rest were in excess of seven years with my first being 11 year old. When I traded it, I got about 20% of what I paid for it originally. Now to the PP - it is either the best or the second best Honda I have owned. The ride is fantastic, quiet, and lots of power. If I need to off road or travel in snow, I will not fear. The features are generally very good but I do take issues with the trends by all manufacturers to make the vehicles stupid proof. I like to drive and if I am stupid, then I deserve to be rewarded with a Darwin award. I just hope that it does not involve others. Therein lies the reason for many of the "stupid proof" features. That said, I use normal cruise control, not the adaptive in all of our cars. It drives me crazy, even worse than the engine off at idle. Both of which are turned off in my PP.
Overall, you are going to find happy people here to say buy a PP and I am one of them. Just make a list of your requirements and size it against the PP. I will bet you will find the best bang for the buck with the PP.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
agree, Honda’s reliability is what makes me sleep at night. First car ever was a Civic. My favorite motorcycle now that you mention it was my Cbr600f4i!

im coming from such an old car that has regular cruise control so I’m sure I’m gonna have to get used to the new technology.

I love the look of the passport. Especially in white.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Part two: BTW, we did test drive a number of vehicles before buying the PP. The CX-5 Mazda was nice, but not enough cargo space. The Toyota Rav - very truck like. The KIA, to high priced. As a result of our test drives, my wife bought the Volvo XC-60. It is much more of a car than an SUV but its electronics and app are far superior to the Honda. However, so to was its price. Just an FYI ...

21 - 39 of 39 Posts