Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Been doing my research on the Passport. Right now it’s my #1 pick! My fear is that infotainment issue I keep reading about. As of right now I don’t need a car so I’m looking to buy at the end of 2021. Year: 2019 Elite trim in white!

hopefully by next November I can find a lightly used or CPO for 30-35!

my #2 pick is a 2019 Jeep GC altitude package.

any updates on the infotainment issue? Did Honda figure it out? Is it software or a wire harness issue?

I’m a city guy with no kids and not looking to go off roading. Need something good for the snow if a storm comes my way or something nice for a beach day!

good day to all

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
797 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! You’ve come to the right place for all things Passport! By the time you’re ready to buy, if there was an infotainment issue, the original owner may have had it fixed. You could always contact a dealer with the VIN to get the service records. I believe they still do that. Good luck researching and shopping!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great advice!!

I’ve been in the same car since 2010. Got an 07 Altima. Not one single issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum!! You’ve come to the right place for all things Passport! By the time you’re ready to buy, if there was an infotainment issue, the original owner may have had it fixed. You could always contact a dealer with the VIN to get the service records. I believe they still do that. Good luck researching and shopping!
I’m not looking to off road at all. Is the passport a nice ride for the highway.?

im
Definitely going to test drive one even tho I’m not ready to buy

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
797 Posts
I’m not looking to off road at all. Is the passport a nice ride for the highway.?

im
Definitely going to test drive one even tho I’m not ready to buy
I like the ride. Quite comfortable. It’s a bit firmer of a ride than the Pilot because of its “sportier” design. I find the seats to be comfortable. I have a bad back, and the driver’s seat is fine. Could use slightly more adjustment in the lumbar Support. I went from an 05 Pilot to a 2020 Elite, and it’s quite a change. Very roomy and versatile.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome. Coming from an 07 Altima im
Sure it’ll feel like a spaceship.
Did you drive the Grand Cherokee ??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all!

Been doing my research on the Passport. Right now it’s my #1 pick! My fear is that infotainment issue I keep reading about. As of right now I don’t need a car so I’m looking to buy at the end of 2021. Year: 2019 Elite trim in white!

hopefully by next November I can find a lightly used or CPO for 30-35!

my #2 pick is a 2019 Jeep GC altitude package.

any updates on the infotainment issue? Did Honda figure it out? Is it software or a wire harness issue?

I’m a city guy with no kids and not looking to go off roading. Need something good for the snow if a storm comes my way or something nice for a beach day!

good day to all
I have a 2019 and have been dealing with all kinds of electrical issues, including the infotainment issue you’re concerned about. I’ve been talking with Honda about it and it sounds like they might have a fix for it—apparently the wiring harness does not have enough slack so they have to go in there and extend some of the wires so as to not tug on other connections. From what I gather the fix has been somewhat successful.

I would absolutely not buy this car again.. today.. however if you’re going to be buying in the future then by all means go for it. Let us work out the kinks and by the time you write the check hopefully it will be working as well as the rest of the Honda line. If not for all the issues I’ve had with this thing I would be raving about it. The engine is perfect for the weight of the car (to compare, the Pilot isn’t quite as quick)... The suspension is just right and the road noise is negligible. If you don’t need a third row this car is perfect. I think the next step up would be to something German but they’re arguably less reliable and a hell of a lot more expensive. Honda upped their game with the interior in these... I traded in a CR-V because I wanted more space and something more comfortable for road trips and the Passport delivered.. I have no doubt you’ll love it, but wait awhile before you pull the trigger and pick up a 2020 if you can swing it.

Lastly, Jeep can’t even come close to the Passport when it comes to the driving experience....This thing really is... fun...

Now, if I can actually keep it in my garage instead of the shop at the dealership I’ll be a happy camper.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow great info!

sucks hearing about all these issues in a brand new car. I would be livid!!

if I’m going to buy a passport next year it would be a 2019. If nothing changed then I don’t see the point in getting a 2020 or a 21.

I shall do my research and test drive the GC and PP. The cx-9 was on the list too but I’m losing interest. I don’t need a 3rd Row.

like I said I would be coming from an 07 Altima. Legit ZERO issues in 10 years. But i also have ZERO technology.

hope you can let me know once the dealer fixes everything and you’re 100% done with these trips to the dealer!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Allow me to voice my opinion. I, too, am seriously looking at a Passport as my next ride - and I'm currently in a Jeep Grand Cherokee..... The GC is a very good car; stylish/reliability/fun, etc. So, why am I looking to jump ships? 1.) Rear seat leg room, and 2.) value. As nice as the Jeep (Limited) is, I can get a Sunroof/Heated Seat Passport for about 4 grand less.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Allow me to voice my opinion. I, too, am seriously looking at a Passport as my next ride - and I'm currently in a Jeep Grand Cherokee..... The GC is a very good car; stylish/reliability/fun, etc. So, why am I looking to jump ships? 1.) Rear seat leg room, and 2.) value. As nice as the Jeep (Limited) is, I can get a Sunroof/Heated Seat Passport for about 4 grand less.
Yea but look at this infotainment issue.

I do love the GC Altitude in white. 2019 only bc made their infotainment screen nice n flush.

if I’m gonna get a 2021 vehicle another contender is the Kia sorento 5 seater. Absolutely stunning****

·
Registered
302 Posts
My '19 has 17,000 miles on it and it's been trouble free. I don't like the adaptive cruise control as it it unrefined. There is a long thread on it here somewhere. The car rides nice (compared to my F150 and S2000) but is not a soft cushiony ride. I have personally driving over 1,100 miles in a day stopping only for fill ups and had no problems. On those long drives, I'm playing an audio-book on my iPhone and monitoring Waze on the big screen while using an independent, full-featured Garmin GPS on the dash. I have added mats, die-cast running boards, seat back protectors and mud flaps to my Elite.

All in all, I wish I would have bought a Mazda CX-9 Signature instead. Yes they are a bit more money and a 3 seater, but have a lot more refinement. Next time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow 1100 miles and no issues? That’s awesome. It can’t be that uncomfortable then.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The CX-9 is nice. I looked at one also. It's marketed more as a "driver's SUV", while Honda wants us to think we can drive up the non-road side of Pikes Peak in a Passport.

The biggest fault of the Mazda, in my opinion, is the miniature sunroof.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thing is I’m a city boy so I prefer comfort and peace of mind if I know snow is heading my way. Summer fun at the beach would be good too. So knowing I can take it on sand without any issues is a plus.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The CX-9 is nice. I looked at one also. It's marketed more as a "driver's SUV", while Honda wants us to think we can drive up the non-road side of Pikes Peak in a Passport.

The biggest fault of the Mazda, in my opinion, is the miniature sunroof.
I love the front of the cx-9. Sometimes the bubblebutt turns me off. Idk looks like a minivan sometimes.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Wow 1100 miles and no issues? That’s awesome. It can’t be that uncomfortable then.
We were making our annual pilgrimage from Florida to Montana - a total of about 2,653 miles. this was at the early outbreak of the KungFlu and we wanted to get home. I drove it in 3 days with about 1/3 of it on bad roads due to snow and ice. The car handled well on slush, ice and snow covered roads. At the time, the only thing on the roads were semi trucks. At one time I had to pull over (pic below) and bang the ice off the front H that houses the radar as our cruise and LKAS wouldn't function. It was covered by a 1/2" of ice.

Reactions: Beachbum07

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We were making our annual pilgrimage from Florida to Montana - a total of about 2,653 miles. this was at the early outbreak of the KungFlu and we wanted to get home. I drove it in 3 days with about 1/3 of it on bad roads due to snow and ice. The car handled well on slush, ice and snow covered roads. At the time, the only thing on the reads were semi trucks. At one time I had to pull over (pic below) and bang the ice off the front H that houses the radar as our cruise and LKAS wouldn't function. It was covered by a 1/2" of ice.

nice road trip! I was stationed out in MT. Sky so bright at night it felt like you could grab a star lol. Big sky country for sure.
Why do you use a gps? Is that the elite trim? Doesn’t it come with Navi?

View attachment 6617

1 - 20 of 24 Posts