Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PP manual says 87 or higher. What's everyone running? I'm coming from a Mark 7 VW GTI that took premium so I'm used to the cost and my PP is brand new so I'm inclined to keep using it.

·
Super Moderator
1,330 Posts
The PP manual says 87 or higher. What's everyone running? I'm coming from a Mark 7 VW GTI that took premium so I'm used to the cost and my PP is brand new so I'm inclined to keep using it.
I just us the standard 87 and have no issues.

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
313 Posts
Regular for me.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Using a higher octane may seem like a good idea, but it will serve no purpose in your PP other than to deflate your wallet. I have to use it in our two BMWs but smile when I pull up to the pump in the PP and can use 87. But as of late, since we are both retired, and because of Covid-19 we are not using too much gasoline at all. But sure have increased our Amazon spending!
Just be sure to use a "Top Tier" gasoline, (which Costco is BTW), and stay away from the independents.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Every 5th or 6th tank, I will use 93 octane, from Shell or BP/Amoco. Otherwise 87 test.

Reactions: stevenD

·
Registered
289 Posts
87 for me. Never minded putting 93 in my Si cars, 2 of which required it due the high compression and redline, but no need in the PP. Highly debatable topic but I’m of the opinion that the octane rating is it’s resistance to pre detonation. Nothing to do with it’s quality.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
72 Posts
Why? What do you think the higher octane will do or provide other than over paying for gas? Why is it people still to this day and age of technology believe that higher the octane, the better performance or more power it will deliver?

Reactions: stevenD

·
Super Moderator
2,098 Posts
Follow the Mfg recommendation (87) and be happy the VW is in your rear view mirror...!

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
72 Posts
Every 5th or 6th tank, I will use 93 octane, from Shell or BP/Amoco. Otherwise 87 test.
Again, why? If you use quality top tier gasoline from Shell or Chevron all the time, 87 is all your vehicle will ever need.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Car engines have sensors out the wazoo to detect pre-ignition. (pinging) When that happens, it dials back the timing and fuel mixture to keep you from causing any damage. Cars that were designed to run on high octane fuel can still use 87 - they just won't perform as well.

(And, StevenD, the GTI is a sweet ride. Totally different than a Honda, granted, but still sweet.)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I found that using hi test a few times a year improved my mpg, when I used the 87 test.
My crx would get 53 mpg and after a few tanks it would get 51 mpg. When I put 12(ish) gallons of 93 octane and ran it down to 1/8th tank, my next tank of 87 would get 57 mpg.

I also noticed that my new Hondas would not get great mpg, until they had several thousand miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used Regular Unleaded for everyday driving with MPG between 25-27, and my trip home (200miles) my best MPG is 29. On my last trip home I used Super Unleaded and finally got over the hump averaging 32.2mpg. This is over mountains and with A/C...pretty happy with those numbers.

·
Super Moderator
2,098 Posts
87 from Costco..... every 3 weeks or so...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Using JACKDEF's numbers - 87 Octane with 29 MPG over 200 miles equals 6.89 gallons burned. 93 Octane yielded 32.2 MPG for 6.21 gallons.

Using current N.E. Ohio prices, he used $14.40 in 87 Oct ($2.09), and $15.46 in premium ($2.49).

*Your actually cost differences may vary. No animals were harmed in these calculations.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts