Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a front license plate holder with my new Elite PP. There were no screws or anything, just the bracket.

The bottom of the bracket hooks under the grill and the top has holes for screw mounting. The only issue with this is, there are no pre drilled holes for the bracket.

I assume I would need to get some screws and drill out the holes unless I am missing something.

Has anyone else mounted the front license plate holder? If so, did you have to drill out the holes first?

·
Registered
42 Posts
My holder was already mounted on my bumper, but the dealer made crooked screw holes when they applied the dealer plate. Do you see any part numbers on the back of your license plate holder? I'd like to know what the part number is so I can order a new one. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can look for you tomorrow. I can see how that can happen, as 4 holes to be drilled in the bracket, and 2 in the bumper itself.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just took my bracket off and it looks like they just screwed it straight into the bumper. I would not drill out the holes since it looks like they used self tapping screws when they installed it. There is obviously something on the back side of the bumper that the bracket screws into, so self-tapping screws will probably do just fine for you. Here is a pic of the screws they used:
Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 5.39.16 PM.png

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I took one of the screws out of the rear plate holder and tried to run it in without drilling, but it just kept falling off the drill and would not start, I think it needs a pilot hole to start.

·
Super Moderator
2,308 Posts
I plan to buy the WeatherTech License plate holders (the ones that are about $25 each) I have had them on my last few cars and they are awesome!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I plan to buy the WeatherTech License plate holders (the ones that are about $25 each) I have had them on my last few cars and they are awesome!
I looked at these WeatherTech frames, but ended up buying these:

Ohuhu Black License Plate Frames

Can you say a few words about why you liked the WeatherTech bumper frames? I still might decide to go that route.

·
Super Moderator
2,308 Posts
The have a very hi-grade plastic cover that seals your plate so no dust or water get on it! And they have screw covers, so they look very clean...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked at these WeatherTech frames, but ended up buying these:

Ohuhu Black License Plate Frames

Can you say a few words about why you liked the WeatherTech bumper frames? I still might decide to go that route.
An observation on the frame you linked. The Honda frame included with the PP, has hooks on the bottom to attach to the grill, therefore there is no place to use screws in the bottom portion of the frame. If you order that frame, you will only be able to use 2 screws, unless you mount that frame to the included Honda frame.

·
Registered
278 Posts
An observation on the frame you linked. The Honda frame included with the PP, has hooks on the bottom to attach to the grill, therefore there is no place to use screws in the bottom portion of the frame. If you order that frame, you will only be able to use 2 screws, unless you mount that frame to the included Honda frame.
My current plan is to use 4 screws with the included Honda frame. I'll know later today how well that will work.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My current plan is to use 4 screws with the included Honda frame. I'll know later today how well that will work.
Here is a pic of the Ohuhu license plate installed on the front Honda frame. Looks pretty good and didn't cost much. I'll see how it holds up over time.

IMG_0121 (1).jpg

·
Registered
278 Posts
Did you mount the OEM Honda frame first, then mount the ohuhu plate to that?
I just removed the dealer frames and put these on. On the right side you can see the Honda frame behind the Ohuhu frame. That's what the screw shown in my pic is screwed onto.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ok, mine was just laying in the cargo area. No holes drilled in the OEM frame or on the bumper.
Interesting. I was under the impression from photos that I have seen that all Passports came with two holes pre-drilled in the front. I guess that's not the case ...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts