Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a front obstruction sensor in the center of the Passport? I know there is a radar sensor behind the emblem for the ACC but not sure if that's a one-trick-pony sensor.

My depth perception is horrible (so I'm either 10 inches from the screen as I type or 12 feet) so I rely on the front/rear Passport sensors quite a bit. If I'm pulling forward at an angle and get too close the front/right or front/left sensors alert, respectively. However, if I pull straightforward just a couple of inches from a wall I get no alert. So either I'm not close enough to trigger it (which I'm surprised by) or there isn't one at all.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Is there a front obstruction sensor in the center of the Passport? I know there is a radar sensor behind the emblem for the ACC but not sure if that's a one-trick-pony sensor.

My depth perception is horrible (so I'm either 10 inches from the screen as I type or 12 feet) so I rely on the front/rear Passport sensors quite a bit. If I'm pulling forward at an angle and get too close the front/right or front/left sensors alert, respectively. However, if I pull straightforward just a couple of inches from a wall I get no alert. So either I'm not close enough to trigger it (which I'm surprised by) or there isn't one at all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the image. I'm pretty certain I was far closer than 26 inches from the wall and the bottom/left pic is showing a center sensor so I'll need to measure the next time I park to see if mine isn't working correctly.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oddly, in this case both the left and right front sensors alerted but not the center which was well under 26 inches away from the fence

·
Registered
385 Posts
That is all you have in the front, on both corners. They alert you from objects at the side corner and ahead of each corner. You will not see an alert showing the center.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is all you have in the front, on both corners. They alert you from objects at the side corner and ahead of each corner. You will not see an alert showing the center.
That's an unfortunate design choice, sigh, considering the Honda logo has an ACC sensor that can obviously also handle parking duties and on at least one occasion neither left/right front sensor warned when I was really close to a wall.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I believe most vehicles have about 4 sensors on the front and back. We have 2 on the corners. Honda could have done a better job here.
Mike

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe most vehicles have about 4 sensors on the front and back. We have 2 on the corners. Honda could have done a better job here.
Mike
Yeah, I totally agree. For every feature I enjoy (cooling seats, LED speedometer, comfort, armrest, wireless charging), seems like there's something Honda skimped on or poorly implemented (ineffective ambient lighting w/o alternate color options, lack of remote start from an app, free use of the app, app quality, annoying disclaimer when starting vehicle, missing front center parking sensor, 360 camera, front camera). Most of those faults wouldn't be costly to correct since all of the tech already exists (heck, some of their other vehicles have them)

Moments ago I parked within 6 inches of a car in front of me and no sensors warned me that I was close, I could understand the lack of a front/center sensor if they had a front camera. In the diagram that 19BCPDave posted above, the bottom-left image shows a center sensor that can detect obstructions closer than 26 inches which is obviously a lie on multiple accounts.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I agree with all if the above. My wife has a BMW X3 and with a front camera. She gets a view like we do with our rear camera. How hard would that be for Honda to add???
I do find when approaching walls or other cars that the two front sensors will alert when 12-14 " away. I just approach very slowly.

·
Registered
201 Posts
In the diagram that 19BCPDave posted above, the bottom-left image shows a center sensor that can detect obstructions closer than 26 inches which is obviously a lie on multiple accounts.
It's just showing a sideview of the vehicle and stating an object within range of the sensors needs to be within approx 26 inches before triggering them. The sensors are still only at the corners up front as pictured above that. (Left side of picture is corner sensors. Right side is center sensors showing nothing up front)

But I agree with the need. I parked in a parking space once with a car in front and they never went off. Got out to find myself within 1/8" of that cars bumper.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I agree 100% we definitely need a sensor in the center. I have come terribly close to a sign post or post in front of me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't understand why they can't overload the ACC sensor in parking situations (< 5 mph) where it detects front-center objects. If it can work at 100 mph (not that I know from experience) it should be able to function at 2 mph. I really don't understand how the Honda gurus came to the conclusion that such a wide-vehicle (compared to an Escape) doesn't need a sensor between the 2 corners of the front yet needs one in the rear-center.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Honda lies. The specs and window sticker say “front parking sensors,” but you can creep into another car or a brick wall and it won’t utter a peep. Delve into the user manual and you‘ll find the sensors are front corner parking sensors. This is deceptive, and we would not have leased a Passport had we known this. Got a Touring model just for front sensors. Several of the electronic driver assist features, including radar cruise control, are also crude and abrupt. This is our 5th Honda, and likely our last. Just glad we leased instead of buying.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Honda lies. The specs and window sticker say “front parking sensors,” but you can creep into another car or a brick wall and it won’t utter a peep. Delve into the user manual and you‘ll find the sensors are front corner parking sensors. This is deceptive, and we would not have leased a Passport had we known this. Got a Touring model just for front sensors. Several of the electronic driver assist features, including radar cruise control, are also crude and abrupt. This is our 5th Honda, and likely our last. Just glad we leased instead of buying.
Did you test drive the PP before leasing?
There are indeed two "front parking sensors" One at each corner as you mentioned. I have found them to work 100% of the time to help me park about 15" behind a car or away from a wall as in a garage. I do always creep in slowly. Perhaps there is something out of specs with your sensors ???
I do wish the PP had a front camera like our BMW X3 has. But the PP has a better backup camera with the 3 view choices,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts