Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

We got our ‘port about 6 weeks ago and really love it. We love it so much that I laid on my back for a good hour or two applying Fluid Film to the bottom of the vehicle to prevent future rust from road salt.

While I was under there I noticed wht looked like missing welds on the rear lower crossmember. I’m not sure if that’s what it’s called but it’s the member that the rear diff mounts are mounted to. It the black steel component that the diff also passes through. The “hole” in the steel is about 1/2-3/4” wide and is on both sides of the vehicle more towards the wheel well than the center. In these 5 or 6 pics, there are all the same 2 sides with one missing weld on each side. I just wanted to include a few different angles.
The pics that look greasy and “wet“ are of the drivers side that I applied fluid film to. The pics of the dry member are of the passenger side which, at the time of the pics, I hadn’t yet applied the Fluid Film.
Please let me know you what guys think.

·
Registered
85 Posts
There's a recall on missing welds for the passport. However they said it only affected one passport and 9 pilots. Maybe that one passport is yours. Or maybe Honda missed more than they were thinking. This doesn't look right though.

Disclaimer: I have no idea where the welds are missing in the recall.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey all,

We got our ‘port about 6 weeks ago and really love it. We love it so much that I laid on my back for a good hour or two applying Fluid Film to the bottom of the vehicle to prevent future rust from road salt.

While I was under there I noticed wht looked like missing welds on the rear lower crossmember. I’m not sure if that’s what it’s called but it’s the member that the rear diff mounts are mounted to. It the black steel component that the diff also passes through. The “hole” in the steel is about 1/2-3/4” wide and is on both sides of the vehicle more towards the wheel well than the center. In these 5 or 6 pics, there are all the same 2 sides with one missing weld on each side. I just wanted to include a few different angles.
The pics that look greasy and “wet“ are of the drivers side that I applied fluid film to. The pics of the dry member are of the passenger side which, at the time of the pics, I hadn’t yet applied the Fluid Film. View attachment 4344 View attachment 4345 View attachment 4346 View attachment 4347 View attachment 4348 Please let me know you what guys think.
You need to check out the thread "Recall for 1 Passport". Apparently this is a real issue and now I'm wondering how many are affected. Thanks for the pics, gives us something to look for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I read about the recall after I found those missing welds and it describes the passport recall as welds in the front of the car higher up on the unibody. These are missing from the rear and are on that lower crossmember. It doesn’t seem to be really a part of the unibody so I don’t think my missing welds would have any negative effect in a crash situation. Maybe I should be, but i’m not really concerned about the safety aspect of it. I more concerned with the long-term resilience of that structure. Not to mention the overall build quality. I’m hoping someone could crawl under their passport and see if they are all like this.

·
Registered
91 Posts
...I’m hoping someone could crawl under their passport and see if they are all like this...
I just went under my Passport. I can't tell where you took these pics... need a little help where those weld gaps in question.
As I look around looking at welds, there are gaps in certain areas, like weld weld weld weld gap weld weld weld. Hard to say if normal or not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for helping. In the most broad terms, the area is between the two rear wheels. I’m no mechanic so trying to give a pinpoint description of the area is tough.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, Nieuport17! VERY interesting. So should we assume the vehicles are meant to have these gaps? If so, why do the gaps look so sloppy? I mean, robots are welding them so you’d think both sides would look identical. If it matters, my Passport has a build date of 9/2019 and was made in the Alabama facility.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thank you, Nieuport17! VERY interesting. So should we assume the vehicles are meant to have these gaps? If so, why do the gaps look so sloppy? I mean, robots are welding them so you’d think both sides would look identical. If it matters, my Passport has a build date of 9/2019 and was made in the Alabama facility.
all Passports are made from Lincoln, Alabama. Probably the same robots that did this weld job : )
hard to say why gaps are in certain area, only engineers that design this would know, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it : ) Btw, as I was under the car looking at BlazinPassport's pictures, I was like, He/She went this far to look at the weld? lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hahaha yes, I needed to get all the nooks and crannies with that Fluid Film. This is my wife’s car (guess it’s a good time to mention I’m a “he”:)) and its out first SUV. I was amazed to find I could lay on my back and work under there without jacking it up or driving onto ramps. It was cool to get a up close look at how Honda designed everything.

I’m grateful you took a close look at yours to compare. It would be great to get a couple more confirmations from other owners. I’d be pretty concerned if someone reported that they had no gaps in the welding.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,163 Posts
When I start hearing weird creek/crack noises followed by odd movements of the car going down the highways I'll worry about it.
Until then Ignorance is Bliss.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
I believe those are left like that for water to drain if you get too deep into it...otherwise it will just puddle up in that area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a new left over passport from 2019 and had it up to do some undercoating. I'm a autobody technician and I to noticed the super shabby weld job on the rear subframe. Weld splatter and the welds sit high which normally mean low penitration. Can see it being a recall in the future as seems to be how all the passport subframes are. Does not look machine welded. Something was not right when the part was welded. Shouldn't look like that even if it was hand welded tho. Shabby job either way on a 50k suv.

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
450 Posts
I just got a new left over passport from 2019 and had it up to do some undercoating. I'm a autobody technician and I to noticed the super shabby weld job on the rear subframe. Weld splatter and the welds sit high which normally mean low penitration. Can see it being a recall in the future as seems to be how all the passport subframes are. Does not look machine welded. Something was not right when the part was welded. Shouldn't look like that even if it was hand welded tho. Shabby job either way on a 50k suv.
They had a recall on some missed welds, but if memory serves me right, it was only a handful of Passports.

·
Registered
183 Posts
to me that looks like it was intentional and not a mistake. I am not going to crawl under mine to inspect it.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
826 Posts
Hey all,

The pics that look greasy and “wet“ are of the drivers side that I applied fluid film to. The pics of the dry member are of the passenger side which, at the time of the pics, I hadn’t yet applied the Fluid Film. View attachment 4344 View attachment 4345 View attachment 4346 View attachment 4347 View attachment 4348 Please let me know you what guys think.
How much Fluid Film did you need, and where did you get it? Thx

·
Registered
176 Posts
There's a recall on missing welds for the passport. However they said it only affected one passport and 9 pilots. Maybe that one passport is yours. Or maybe Honda missed more than they were thinking. This doesn't look right though.

Disclaimer: I have no idea where the welds are missing in the recall.
I assume you have not gone to the dealer. if these are on the bottom, they may be weep holes. Water cannot puddle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts