Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

Registered
Post a photo of any car that you currently own.
I could post a photo of my 2019 Passport and my 1967 fully restored Chevelle Malibu but I'll save the bandwidth. I do own them both, paid off.

Registered
I own four cars outright. Last purchase was a 2018 Rav4 XLE. Paid cash. Shall we move on to houses? Retirement accounts? There are two things, IMO, that should go unspoken; money and politics. Time to be a bit more mature. 馃檮

Here鈥檚 a good book with excellent advice.
馃憤That book came to mind before I clicked the link......excellent read. I 1st heard about it listening to Dave Ramsey.馃憤

Like you, have not pulled the trigger on a PP just yet.......but getting closer.

Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Future Purchase
I stopped by my dealer and their service department yesterday. Before I went in, I drove around their back lot to check out different colors of the PP. I noticed that three PPs with license plates on them were parked in a back corner. I went in and spoke with the service manager and asked about those three PPs. He said they鈥檝e been waiting on parts and responses from Honda for at least two weeks, as they can fix the issues.

I did notice that they mainly had new EX-L PPs in stock. Didn鈥檛 see any Elites. They do have another lot in a different town, but again, mostly EX-L. There鈥檚 always the dealer swap option when the time comes.

Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Future Purchase
馃憤That book came to mind before I clicked the link......excellent read. I 1st heard about it listening to Dave Ramsey.馃憤.
i knew an older man that was a friend of my brother. He always looked disheveled, wore old clothes, and drove an old Cadillac. My brother later mentioned that the man owns a freight company, owns a few homes, and is a multi-millionaire. My brother goes to trucking auctions with him to buy tractors, trailers, equipment, etc for their businesses. The man would sometimes spend a million bucks at a single auction.

As my mother would always say, never judge a book by its cover!

Registered
After the tsunami Honda NA made drastic changes so there parts supply chain wouldn't be disrupted again,NA plants were running at less then 50% due to lack of parts.They now have back up's and more back up's to keep the plants running and usually have 3-4 weeks of parts on hand, they are not reliant on China/Asia only anymore,they learned from that! Having said that, this is a different senario thats affecting the entire globe so there back up system may not work now, and NA goverments are slowly starting to impose lockdowns. Will be interesting to see what happens in the next week or so. Prices may go down or stay the same but interest rates are going down so yeah it's a great time to buy a new car!

Registered
It is my understanding ...

There is an undisclosed price that the dealers can drop to - after that Honda will take back these unsold vehicles (and crush them).
At that price point the dealers have no incentive to move them.

All to maintain overall prices.
LOL nothing gets "crushed" everything gets sold eventually.

Registered
Pr
It is my understanding ...

There is an undisclosed price that the dealers can drop to - after that Honda will take back these unsold vehicles (and crush them).
At that price point the dealers have no incentive to move them.

All to maintain overall prices.
Pretty sure that鈥檚 not the case

Registered
That's not how it works at all, having worked nearly 14 years in the auto industry.

It works something like this; dealers buy vehicles from the manufacturer at invoice price, then at some point they get credit or a discount under invoice, typically this is tied to two things; the number of vehicles they buy and manufacturer incentives. That way when cars are moving slow, at the end of the model year, or when the manufacturer wants the dealer to move more vehicles they drop the price to the dealer by thousands of dollars, at which time many (not all) dealers can further reduce the price or the vehicles or keep the extra profits for themselves. This is different than the cash back or other incentives that the manufacturer offers the buyers. It's an old wives tale, that any manufacturer takes cars back and crushes them, that never happens...
But it did happen once with Honda in the early days when they were selling the Honda 600 car here. They sent a load of them to Portand and offloaded them. They then discovered there was a problem with the engines. They then ordered the cars destroyed. Apparently it was cheaper to destroy them than to ship them back to Japan, change all the engines and ship them back to America.

Registered
That's not the way it's done according to 2 sources I've talked to on the down low. Honda Corp retains ownership until the vehicle is sold.
In years past, the dealers of the big 3 did it that way.

Registered
I was always under the impression that dealers got vehicles on something called a 鈥渇loor plan鈥 or similar. Meaning the manufacturer sends the vehicles to the dealers and they are allowed a certain period of time to move them. After that time interest is charged or similar. Maybe that鈥檚 the old way but that has been my understanding.

Registered
Something similar to that may occur - the details between the dealers and the Corp get a little fuzzy. But there is no bank involvement like before. This only applies to Honda and Acura. I was always puzzled why the dealer didn't care much about how long the new ones sat on the lot. No floor charge as it was explained to me.
There is a Passport on my local dealers lot that I test drove 11 months ago. They didn't want to deal, so there it sits. No concern about any floor charges.
And if I wanted to buy local and a dealer out of the area had what I wanted, Honda can force a swap/move, because they still own them.

Registered
'Mostly right, except for the last part. The manufacturer can never force a dealer to trade with another dealer.

Honda doesn't own the cars on a dealer's lot. The dealer is financing them - be it through Honda or Chase Bank, or whoever.

The same idea applies to people who have a mortgage - the bank finances your house, but you "own" it. And control it as long as you make the payments.

Registered
Orders are placed from the dealer to head office, head office orders from the factory.The factory ships directly to dealers,once it leaves the factory it isn't there problem anymore. Dealers are franchises, they order the vehicle from head office and they finance the vehicles through there own banks.Head office is just a middle man that oversees everything. They are allowed to trade among themselves and do it often to grab the sale. When I leased my Ridgeline,I wanted a silver and the dealer only had white and black they traded with another dealer 1.5hr away, same with my PP, they only had black and I wanted the modern steel,few days later they had one for me. The way it was explained to me was head office is the factory's customer, the dealer is head office's customer and we are the dealer's customer.

Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steele
Interesting since the part numbers appear to be the same for both.

Registered
I looked at the ridge when looking at the PP. From memory, the seat height felt a few inches lower than the PP.
OK, thanks.....much appreciated.

I recently sat in a Gen 2 Ridgeline and really liked the very easy (on a bad back) ingress/egress compared to our lower sitting CRV. Do not want p/u #7 and no PPs within a 150 miles to sit in/drive so I thought I would ask how they compared. Anybody else? Thanks.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts