Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you didn't buy a Passport, what was you fallback choice?

(I'll go first)

Since there was not one single SUV out there that matched the Passport capabilities, I probably would have went with a "Cement" colored Tacoma 4-Wheel Drive Off-Road model, long bed with the off-road wheels they offer...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mazda CX-9 - While it is a 3 rower, Mazda SUVs are well refined and well appointed. The weakness is the paint's susceptibility of rock chips and scratches.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
My needs were simple, I wanted something larger than my 16 CRV. Additionally I have a long history with Honda vehicles (and my Honda dealer) so he would have still made a sale.

The newer CRVs were larger, but only incrementally so; absent the Passport Hondas' only other entry was the Pilot. Of those two I would have went with the Pilot.

So - in order of MY preference:
1. Passport
2. Pilot
3. CRV

·
Registered
274 Posts
I was coming from a V6 Accord and I wanted something that was taller for better visibility. I went to the LA car show specifically to check out the CRV. I really liked it and it seemed to meet my needs so I visited my local dealer to test drive one. I could immediately tell that the CRV wasn't gonna work for me. I just couldn't get past that whiney little 4 banger. I went home and began seaching online for SUVs with a six cylinder engine and found the PP. I was so focused on the CRV at the car show that I didn't even see the Passport on display.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steele
408 Posts
My needs were simple, I wanted something larger than my 16 CRV. Additionally I have a long history with Honda vehicles (and my Honda dealer) so he would have still made a sale.

The newer CRVs were larger, but only incrementally so; absent the Passport Hondas' only other entry was the Pilot. Of those two I would have went with the Pilot.

So - in order of MY preference:
1. Passport
2. Pilot
3. CRV

In general I agree with your first sentence, however I wanted smaller than my Pilot. Not as long a history with my Honda dealer but have found that they are an excellent dealership to work with.

For me the Pilot was more than we needed with the 3rd row and unused back cabin entertainment system. If the Passport did not exist, then I would have probably gone for a new Pilot as the CRV is not as big as I would like.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I might have gone with a Hyundai Santa Fe. I had a 2008 Santa Fe.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I might have gone with a Hyundai Santa Fe. I had a 2008 Santa Fe.
and thats exactly what led me to my PP. I was happy with my 08 Santa Fe (until it was stolen and crashed). Needing something quick I picked up a CRV, thinking it was similar in size to the Santa Fe - Wrong. Wonderful car but way too small for me - about 8 months later I dumped it, at a big $ loss. Hello PP.

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
85 Posts
I probably would have bought another Chevy Equinox if they hadn’t made it slightly smaller and taken away the V6.

I’m really enjoying all the technology in the Passport and the extra room so I couldn’t see myself ever going back now.

·
Registered
2019 Touring, White Diamond Pearl
23 Posts
If you didn't buy a Passport, what was you fallback choice?
Atlas Cross Sport
Same concept as Passport:
  • 2-row 'shortened' version of pre-existing 3-row model.
  • Same larger engine/transmission as its 3-row model
  • Larger tow cspacity than its smaller sibling (CR-V, Tiguan)
Also considered Sante Fe (but lacked sufficient towing), and Telluride (hugely popular + fast selling inventory = long wait + large additional dealer mark-up . . . & its 3-row)

Bought Passport for little more than top CR-V, and so far it's been all smiles from my wife.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was trading in 2016 Accord with money left on it so it was either a Ridgeline(which I was not impressed with) or a Pilot.
if was i was looking outside Honda a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I do love my Passport though

·
Registered
'20 Passport EX-L AWD (Modern Steel/Black)
4 Posts
I would have gotten a 20 CR-V instead of the 'Port since I was getting rid of my 17 CR-V. But I'm happy so far a week into my decision.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I actually looked at Mazda CX-30's and the new Kia Seltos the days before getting the Passport since I was replacing a Jeep Compass. I was about to overpay on a lease for a CX-30 or CX-5 when I figured I better call Honda and see what they could do, and got an awesome payment on a Passport. I hadn't been considering a Passport because I never thought I'd get a lower payment than what I was paying on my Jeep Compass. We were going to consider a Passport to replace my wife's Highlander next year. I called Honda dealership on a whim to see what the lease would be on a CR-V and they surprisingly had a better deal on a Passport. I seriously can't believe I was going to pay $40-50 a month more on a Mazda CX-30 that is literally tiny next to the Passport … either Honda has way better leases or the Mazda dealership was trying to rip me off. Even the Kia Seltos was going to be significantly more a month. I get both the CX-30 and Seltos are totally brand new only out for a few weeks vehicles though, but still …

1 - 13 of 13 Posts