Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought a 2020 touring and I’m getting ready to put together a maintenance plan and I was hoping to get some feedback;

Does pretty much everyone do their own service?

Did you replace fluids after some break in period, like 500 or 1000 mils, or just wait until the first scheduled service?

which fluids did you replace, oil, trans, diff? Any Amsoil fans, is it worth the added expense?

I usually use Napa filters, pads, and rotors, and a synthetic blend oil. Tips or tricks on servicing the new ride are welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
184 Posts
Greetings, I read my manual, followed the recomendations, used a quality Synthetic in the recommended viscosity and a oem Honda oil filter. There is a wealth of information good, bad and subjective on oil choice, filter choice and schedules here, just search the topic. What I did learn was what a royal PIA the filter is to access and remove due to location and lack of clearance. The plastic quart bag method was very helpful. The maintenance plan is already outlined in the manual and your vehicle will let you know via the service minder. Whether you choose to perform it earlier or more often is dependent upon you and your ability to waste money. Welcome and enjoy the 20 Touring.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I get 3 free oil changes from my dealer so I will be doing that for awhile. I will keep to the maintenance schedule minder.,

·
Registered
103 Posts
="Restonledo, post: 48034, member: 3484"]
Hello, I just bought a 2020 touring and I’m getting ready to put together a maintenance plan and I was hoping to get some feedback;

Does pretty much everyone do their own service?
No. Part of my negotiations for the vehicle was 5 years free service at the dealership.

Did you replace fluids after some break in period, like 500 or 1000 mils, or just wait until the first scheduled service?
No, engines are machined to higher tolerances than the old days. Engines are also filled with fluid, hooked up and run in factory for a period of time to verify their performance after they are assembled, They are then drained and refilled with fresh oil for installation. For AWD there is a 12,000 mile first service as the rear differential needs to mesh which will cause somer rubbing of gears. Unlike the engine or transmission there is no filter in the rear differential so it should be changed on time.

which fluids did you replace, oil, trans, diff? Any Amsoil fans, is it worth the added expense?
Honda fluids & Honda filters, on time every time. I also check the oil every fill up. I'm old school so I like to see that little slick on the dip stick, not just rely on a sensor. I do all service on time every time. That includes brake fluid every 3 years, PS fluid every 3 years, coolant every 3 years. I have spent the last 20 years replacing tires, brake pads, batteries and shocks/struts as needed. All expected expendable items.

I usually use Napa filters, pads, and rotors, and a synthetic blend oil. Tips or tricks on servicing the new ride are welcome and appreciated.
Honda full synthetic oil, Honda oil filter, Honda pads. As for rotors, I don't know as I never had to replace a rotor on a Honda.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I generally change oil every 7,500 miles with Mobil One and their filter. Honda Differential fluid for the rear end at 15,000. Easy, easy to do yourself. I have a set of ramps that I run up on to do the change. Change the crush washer and add one of the ValvoMax Stainless Oil Drain Valve to simplify the next change. I use a small strap wrench to loosen the oil filter.

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
18 Posts
I do all the wrenching on my vehicles. I recently picked up my Passport and the first thing I needed was a journal to log miles/dates/receipts and a repair manual for torq specs. I also use Napa for my most of my parts. I'm not a young buck anymore so I plan on installing a oil filter relocation kit (after warranty runs out) and use my mityvac to suck out the oil to make the oil changes easier. Amsoil is a great product but can get expensive and sometimes a pain to find last min. I use Liqui Moly on my Audi it's also a great product and they sale it at my local Napa. I have yet to change my oil and hoping my quickjacks fit this passport.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I do all the wrenching on my vehicles. I recently picked up my Passport and the first thing I needed was a journal to log miles/dates/receipts and a repair manual for torq specs. I also use Napa for my most of my parts. I'm not a young buck anymore so I plan on installing a oil filter relocation kit (after warranty runs out) and use my mityvac to suck out the oil to make the oil changes easier. Amsoil is a great product but can get expensive and sometimes a pain to find last min. I use Liqui Moly on my Audi it's also a great product and they sale it at my local Napa. I have yet to change my oil and hoping my quickjacks fit this passport.
What's wrong with using the Honda Owners site as your journal? Under your account information there is the vehicle maintenance section where you can enter 3rd party including your own work, into the information for that vehicle. That way you have all of that already listed if you have a warranty issue as well as an easily accessible location when it comes time to sell the vehicle. It will list everything that Honda has ever done to the vehicle as well as any outside work you do to the vehicle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Since my PP is a lease unit I purchased a 3 year servicing program for all recommended services. When I got my 2016 Civic I had the oil changed out with Penzoil Platinum at 5K miles. I ran it for a week and noticed a 1.5 mpg loss in fuel economy. After a week I took it back to the dealer and had their oil and a new filter installed. Mileage immediately went right back to original reading. I understand some dealerships are better than others in regard to "cost cutting" measures like buying non-Honda bulk oil and still billing the same price as OE product and skimping on performing the check list items. As long as my engine warranty is at stake I will have the dealer perform my oil changes Yes, I know about MM Warranty but it's nice to have more leverage than less if something goes sideways.

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
18 Posts
What's wrong with using the Honda Owners site as your journal? Under your account information there is the vehicle maintenance section where you can enter 3rd party including your own work, into the information for that vehicle. That way you have all of that already listed if you have a warranty issue as well as an easily accessible location when it comes time to sell the vehicle. It will list everything that Honda has ever done to the vehicle as well as any outside work you do to the vehicle.
I would say there is nothing wrong on which journal one picks. Use whatever works best for your needs! (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts