Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a search and it seems like it’s been a few months since the first oil change topic was discussed, so I wanted to open this can of worms again.

My local HB Honda shop wanted to see me about 4,000 miles. Of course my working in San Jose, I knew that would be tricky. Sure enough, I’m at 3949 miles after my trip today with 50% oil life, I still need to get home, which isn’t until Sept. 15th, and that’s 400 miles.

The other issue is I am contemplating a trip to Oregon before going home and that’s at least another 1500 miles to and from San Jose + 400 or so from SJ to HB.

That would put me close to 6000 miles. I will have no time after this Tuesday to get to a Honda Dealer before I leave on 9/15 for an oil change in SJ.

Is this whole Oregon trip a bad idea without getting someone reputable to change the oil, and not a Jiffy Lube that’s open tomorrow!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about an oil change until the 8,000 mile range, your indicator is accurate, I trust it and the factory recommended change intervals. I’m about to make my second oil change, 8000 miles after the first.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
2,819 Posts
There was a lot of talk about doing the first oil change too early! Don't do it! At 50% oil life, you can go a lot further, without ANY worry...

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was a lot of talk about doing the first oil change too early! Don't do it! At 50% oil life, you can go a lot further, without ANY worry...
You think another 2,000 miles is ok?

I think I need to look for a bigger garage for my Passport, and a small home for me...in Oregon since So Cal isn’t working for me with our overpriced real estate market.

Reactions: Tats

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, another 2k is not only ok but better!

New Homes in Bend OR were going for around 350K last time I looked...

That's Bigfoot country.. http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=43491
Cool thanks guys. I had a feeling things changed in the last few months after the first round of owners started their maintenance plans.

I’m looking at some of the coastal cities, Coos Bay, Newport, Lincoln City, even Bend and older homes are fine. And I just need a 1.5 car garage and 500 sq ft for me, although most of the homes I’ve seen are a 2 car garage and 1200 or so sq ft., going for 225-350k easily. In so cal I can barely find a condo with a 1 car garage and $350 HOA for 350k. ?

With all my work travel, I’ve only flown into Portland for a layover to Seattle or Vancouver, so I know very little about Oregon.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just make sure to check the oil level yourself. I’ve had new vehicle needing oil added before the oil change was needed. I would rotate tires about 5000 miles or so.

Reactions: ProdGirl

·
Registered
85 Posts
I personally did mine at 3600 miles. Oil life reading was 20%. After this it will be every 5k.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Checked my oil dipstick today... 4106 miles, maintenance minder shows 30% oil life. Dipstick level is at about 40% from the lower hash mark. How much oil has my engine consumed from when the oil was at the top of the hash mark?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Checked my oil dipstick today... 4106 miles, maintenance minder shows 30% oil life. Dipstick level is at about 40% from the lower hash mark. How much oil has my engine consumed from when the oil was at the top of the hash mark?
Are you certain it was at full from factory? A lot of the new vehicles we get in at work, the oil level is midway between low and full. Just curious because typically people don’t check their oil level as soon as they purchase a brand new vehicle.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Are you certain it was at full from factory? A lot of the new vehicles we get in at work, the oil level is midway between low and full. Just curious because typically people don’t check their oil level as soon as they purchase a brand new vehicle.
Yes I did check it soon after purchase. It was at the full mark as I remember.

Reactions: Jermboy777

·
Registered
892 Posts
Are you using an s-vcm or vcm muzzler?
I'm at 4650 miles and 50% oil life. I will rely on the Maintenance Minder for my PP's service needs as I did with my '12 Pilot. I never had any engine/drivetrain problems relying on factory recommended oil changes and routine maintenance with the Pilot and, based on current operating performance with the PP, don't anticipate any in the future. Ken in PA

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm at 4650 miles and 50% oil life. I will rely on the Maintenance Minder for my PP's service needs as I did with my '12 Pilot. I never had any engine/drivetrain problems relying on factory recommended oil changes and routine maintenance with the Pilot and, based on current operating performance with the PP, don't anticipate any in the future. Ken in PA
Did you mean to reply to my question to Darksky?

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I personally did mine at 3600 miles. Oil life reading was 20%. After this it will be every 5k.
How'd you get to 20% oil life in 3600 miles?

·
Registered
434 Posts
How'd you get to 20% oil life in 3600 miles?
It’s not just based on mileage but engine run time as well. There’s some algorithm that calculates different variables then produces an oil life percentage. People who sit in high traffic long idle time situations (example: sitting an hour in traffic to go 10 miles) will require oil changes sooner than the 5000 or 10000 mile intervals.

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It’s not just based on mileage but engine run time as well. There’s some algorithm that calculates different variables then produces an oil life percentage. People who sit in high traffic long idle time situations (example: sitting an hour in traffic to go 10 miles) will require oil changes sooner than the 5000 or 10000 mile intervals.
Gotcha. That makes sense. I am still very new to this type of an oil life percentage after having a 13 year old Honda!

Reactions: Jermboy777
1 - 20 of 36 Posts