Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the factory window tint percentage? Is the glass actually tinted glass? Wanting to tint the front windows but want it to match.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,979 Posts
Does anyone know the factory window tint percentage? Is the glass actually tinted glass? Wanting to tint the front windows but want it to match.
Factory window tint is crap. It’s just tinted glass and offers no protection from UV rays or heat.

If you go to a reputable shop they can offer you many options and they will look great.

I had mine done with a ceramic 60% on the driver and passenger window, 80% on all the others and a clear UV protection on the front with a strip along the top.

Reactions: Jermboy777

·
Registered
892 Posts
Factory window tint is crap. It’s just tinted glass and offers no protection from UV rays or heat.

If you go to a reputable shop they can offer you many options and they will look great.

I had mine done with a ceramic 60% on the driver and passenger window, 80% on all the others and a clear UV protection on the front with a strip along the top.

View attachment 3585
Heather, with your PP's windows tinted as you have, does it affect your night driving vision?

·
Super Moderator
1,979 Posts
Heather, with your PP's windows tinted as you have, does it affect your night driving vision?
Well...I have rarely driven it at night, at least for a distance. I do have to roll the passenger side windows to park in my stupid small garage day or night (yes, that is still a thing, but working on it). :mad:

I had my CRV about the same darkness - here's a photo of it, and it was ok driving at night.
Parking in my garage was the same, had to roll down my windows.

However, I have had so many skin cancers on my left side and currently recovering from the latest removal on my back/shoulder area, I will never go without the tint. Actually, I got my windows done the Monday after buying the Passport on a Saturday!

Heather

Reactions: Moab Junky

·
Super Moderator
1,979 Posts
I love that CRV! That’s back when they looked cool!
Thanks - It was a 2006. I had never wanted to get rid of it until I saw my Passport!
Thankfully, my Honda shop bought it from me so I don't have to see it someday all jacked up from the sea air.
I garage parked it as well and even put leather seats in it about a 1 1/2 years before selling it.

·
Registered
183 Posts

View attachment 3585
and the cost for all of that?

·
Super Moderator
1,979 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Well...I have rarely driven it at night, at least for a distance. I do have to roll the passenger side windows to park in my stupid small garage day or night (yes, that is still a thing, but working on it). :mad:

I had my CRV about the same darkness - here's a photo of it, and it was ok driving at night.
Parking in my garage was the same, had to roll down my windows.

However, I have had so many skin cancers on my left side and currently recovering from the latest removal on my back/shoulder area, I will never go without the tint. Actually, I got my windows done the Monday after buying the Passport on a Saturday!

Heather

View attachment 3591

·
Registered
892 Posts
We were CRV owners back in 2008, it was our first Honda. It was that very popular champagne sand color that every third CRV on the road had. Yours look like silver. We loved that car it was so practical and reliable. My only complaint was the back hatch was a swing door with the spare tire mounted on it. We had a Ford Explorer prior to the CRV with the lift hatch and had gotten used to it protecting us in a sudden rain, etc. which the CRV door did not.

·
Super Moderator
1,979 Posts
It’s funny you say that about the swing door on the CRV. It’s the one thing I wish the Passport had. With my ridiculous garage I can’t use my cargo door on my passport whereas my CRV, I could. And I’ve had a couple things from Home Depot that don’t fit either because the window doesn’t pop open. Not that I surf, but the hatch window would be great to pop a surfboard out the window.

And that was one thing that bothered me too was how common they were. I tried to customize mine a little which helped make it stand out, and that it was a 13 year old car that looked so new. Plus all the road noise was awful no matter how top of the line my tires were. Other than that, I thought my CRV was going to outlive me, before the birth of our 2019 Passports❣

·
Registered
892 Posts
It’s funny you say that about the swing door on the CRV. It’s the one thing I wish the Passport had. With my ridiculous garage I can’t use my cargo door on my passport whereas my CRV, I could. And I’ve had a couple things from Home Depot that don’t fit either because the window doesn’t pop open. Not that I surf, but the hatch window would be great to pop a surfboard out the window.

And that was one thing that bothered me too was how common they were. I tried to customize mine a little which helped make it stand out, and that it was a 13 year old car that looked so new. Plus all the road noise was awful no matter how top of the line my tires were. Other than that, I thought my CRV was going to outlive me, before the birth of our 2019 Passports❣
Funny you mentioned how common they were. On several occasions, I "lost" our CRV in parking lots where several were parked when we lived in Northern VA, a suburb of Washington, DC. I had to actually try to unlock the door to see if it was ours as I had no external identifying marks, flags, etc. On one occasion I stuck my key in the driver's side door and could not understand why it would not unlock, until, through the window, I saw the owner sitting in the driver's seat looking at me with great disbelief that a guy would try to steal his car with the owner sitting in it! Those were the days . . . .

·
Super Moderator
1,979 Posts
Funny you mentioned how common they were. On several occasions, I "lost" our CRV in parking lots where several were parked when we lived in Northern VA, a suburb of Washington, DC. I had to actually try to unlock the door to see if it was ours as I had no external identifying marks, flags, etc. On one occasion I stuck my key in the driver's side door and could not understand why it would not unlock, until, through the window, I saw the owner sitting in the driver's seat looking at me with great disbelief that a guy would try to steal his car with the owner sitting in it! Those were the days . . . .
Haha! That I did with my Civic coupe and CRX several times! One time I remember my key unlocked another CRX but didn’t start the engine and after I got in it and couldn’t start it, I realized it wasn’t mine! ??

·
Registered
892 Posts
Haha! That I did with my Civic coupe and CRX several times! One time I remember my key unlocked another CRX but didn’t start the engine and after I got in it and couldn’t start it, I realized it wasn’t mine! ??
I share your surprise and experience! Too funny, now anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know the factory tint, but we had 32% tint put on our front driver and passenger windows and it's noticeably lighter than the factory tint.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was told by my local tint shop the percentage is 20% in the rear from factory. I added 80% in the rear to protect against UV and 18% for the front. It’s not legal but I’ve been doing this for the past 10 years and I have been pulled over but not for tint. Just be careful tinting the rear too dark because you will have visibility issues at night.
sun at 5:00pm on passenger side.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Regarding the tinting. I find that cars with tinted windows makes it hard to see the driver. For example, my least favorite road situation is the four-way stop at an intersection with two cars arriving at the same time. I will usually wave to the other car to go ahead, or he/she might do the same for me. With tinting this is problematic. Just my two cents on the tinting matter.
Another comment/question: Do tinted windows make it easier to drive at night (thinking headlight glare) for drivers with older eyes?

·
Registered
211 Posts
elder prep... no, it impedes. Coming from experience with a "Florida" car I bought some years back with super dark tint like the person above... No, it IS difficult to drive at night especially backing up with windows up... you just can't see especially if it's dark (no lighting around). Pulling in a driveway or near a fence post and then later backing up... Forget about it!!! LOL!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts