Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I pulled the trigger on the Pilot etrailer hitch for around $130 with free shipping. I tried to mock it up and while the two bolts closest to the bumper (one on each side) to line up, the other 4 do not and the back of the hitch (toward the front of the vehicle is about 3" too long.

What did I do? Did I send it back? no. I measured the width and that matched the vehicle. I measured the distance of the holes on each side and they are 102cm CtC. I marked them and I have drilled new holes and cut 3" off the hitch that is toward the front of the vehicle. It now mounts up and I now need to do a little tweaking of the holes themselves and repaint the areas that were cut or drilled. I should be able to post a picture of the installed etrailer hitch in about 1-2 days max. The Pilot holes are wider than 102mm. More like 118mm if I had to guess. I need to add a little wiggle room in the holes I made for alignment drift.

This can be done by anyone but I must warn you that I essentially have a machine shop at my place. If you want to do this, you don't have to have a machine shop, You can do it with a hand drill, a pilot drill bit and high quality step bits but you have to be very precise with your measurements. The final install doesn't require any cutting of the factory lower plastic on the bumper and it will not be as clean as the factory setup but it is $130 and I'm installing it for a bike rack. I may at some point install the factory setup but I wanted to see if I could make a 2019 pilot etrail hitch work and the answer is yes but it will take some patience and tools.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the trailer hitch installed. I know it doesn't look factory but that's how the pilot trailer hitch from etrailer looks as well. I just need it for a bike trip coming in May and $130 for this seemed better than the cost of a factory one for now. it's still off the ground plenty. The hitch still sits higher than the one on my Element.

trailer hitch.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if I keep this setup, I'm going to cut 1" out of the middle of that gap in the hitch and have it rewelded.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That size difference makes sense.
The Passport is 6” shorter. So the hitch needs to be shorter.
The spare is inside. So the hitch doesn’t take to be as tall.

Glad you’re able to do the mods yourself.
It’s looking good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That size difference makes sense.
The Passport is 6” shorter. So the hitch needs to be shorter.
The spare is inside. So the hitch doesn’t take to be as tall.

Glad you’re able to do the mods yourself.
It’s looking good.
Etrailer offers one for the Passport, how come you didn‘t order that one? The website says it bolts right up in 20 minutes without any modifications. It’s $158. Delivered.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The Curt with from E Trailer is tight up against the bottom of the bumper on my 2020 Passport........ and it still requires a drop hitch

·
Registered
460 Posts
This is the trailer hitch installed. I know it doesn't look factory but that's how the pilot trailer hitch from etrailer looks as well. I just need it for a bike trip coming in May and $130 for this seemed better than the cost of a factory one for now. it's still off the ground plenty. The hitch still sits higher than the one on my Element.

View attachment 2403
Maybe it just my eyes, but that hitch seems to be really low. Will it be used to pull a trailer or just for a bike rack mount?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe it just my eyes, but that hitch seems to be really low. Will it be used to pull a trailer or just for a bike rack mount?
I believe this one is a little lower because it was originally designed for the Pilot which has its spare tire below the vehicle rather than in the cargo area like the Passport. I am going to be putting on the Curt one for the Passport this weekend-the pictures I have seen show less of a gap than the above.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
215 Posts
Going with OEM because I like the clean look and the purpose designed rear panel.
$279 to my door. If I feel the need to add a harness I'll go with the Curt T-connector $45.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts