Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who change engine oil and filter yourself, what combo do you chose and why?

·
Registered
2019 Touring, White Diamond Pearl
23 Posts
I use these oil interchangeably on my other Honda, a 12-year old CR-V.
I have used synthetics exclusively for m-a-n-y years, and buy 'em whenever a GREAT deal comes up.
Royal Purple was on closeout at WalMart a year ago, $19.99; Mobil1 has frequent rebates, so under $15 after rebate; and Costco Kirkland brand was 2 for $26 a month or so ago.

As for filters, usually install WIX (buy 'em 6 at a time for $29 from 'friend' in the biz)

Buy in bulk and save . . . I am big believer in frequent maintenance, and we drive A LOT of miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good stash,PANDA!Mobil1 EP are great oil,mostly PAO,don't really know much about RP.For how many miles do you run kirkland?I am guessing using Wix xp you run longer intervals?How's kirkland brand oil holding?This is what i have for my next oil change.Mobil1 T&S was on sale for 14.99 per 5qt jug. I couldn't resist, even though I've never used it before. Next time I plan to use Fram Ultra oil filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Blurrg - have used Kirkland Synthetic in the CR-V only once (currently in engine), because I just bought this oil a month ago (CR-V has just over 1500 miles since that oil change).
However, have never observed a-n-y difference in performance or mpg, between any of the oils (same viscosity, different makers).
I have used synthetic motor oils exclusively (well, almost) since mid-80's.

CR-V - Oil filter/changes every 7500 miles like clockwork, well before Maintenance reminder has ever approached 15%.
Trans is drained & refilled every 5th oil change. Rear diff is changed once a year.
180k miles and still running very strong (but too light duty for our future wants/needs).

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The problem I've discovered with pre-purchasing things like oil filters is that for whatever reason I eventually lose/trade that specific vehicle and then I'm stuck with un-needed supplies. I've still got several extra (Purolator) oil filters - fitted for a previous 11 Ridgeline. I also have many opened oil jugs from past purchases.

Now I just visit my dealer and sit back in their waiting room, munching on their popcorn and sipping from their drink dispenser. Of course this Cheap Charlie also asks for their current discounted services and a FREE car wash.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good Point, Wrascal.

However, I tend to retain my vehicles for several years, and the kids still drive around with a couple of vehicles that formerly were ours . . . Dad is still their mechanic of choice [ie free maintenance/repairs].
0W-20 is the manufacturers recommended oil used in majority of all non-diesel, non-electric, non-HD-truck vehicles from most manufacturers since about 2010.

Those "several extra (Purolator) oil filters - fitted for a previous 11 Ridgeline" should be L14610, right?
They are direct fit to your Passport (and most other Honda vehicles in the last 12 years).

Time to put down that cup of coffee, dust off those filter boxes and tools, get your hands a little dirty, and let your neighbors peek out their windows in awe of your mechanical skills as you keep your motor happy and humming. . . and if it's warm, remove that shirt and give the Passport a bit of soap/water, too!! Make sure you keep the neighbor ladies at least 6-ft away! 😆 Covid19 and all

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm waiting for the Bosch D3323 distance to become available, again. Otherwise I'll use the K&N HP 1010 white oil filter.
Usually I use Penzoil or Valvoline full synthetic.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steele
408 Posts
OEM oil and OEM filter.

Why? The thing came with a warranty. I see no reason to give Honda or anyone else and excuse to void the warranty because I decided to play outside the box during that time. I also get my fluids and parts from my dealer. That way we both have a record of every transaction. I also write down the milage on the receipt and file them away.

I've never had a warranty issue with a vehicle or any other expensive product by keeping good records.

·
Registered
274 Posts
When I did my first oil change, I bought two 5 qt. jugs of Mobil 1 at Walmart. I took a clear 1 qt. jug and drew a line on it at the 20 oz. mark, which equals the .7 of the 5.7 qts. required for the oil change. Each time I change the oil now I'll just buy one 5 qt. jug and pour another 20 ozs. from the existing jug into the engine. The jugs hold 160 ozs. each and so I can get eight changes out of the jug I'm pouring 20 ozs. from.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do same thing, Nipper Dog, though I'm not as accurate as you.
Keep an old plastic one quart measuring cup in garage bin for that purpose.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I always use the larger Honda oil filter from the S 2000, it fits most Honda vehicles, except for the new crv with turbo.... I tried......
1) 15400-PCX-004, this fits the PP
2) 15400-PLM-A01, the A02 by Honeywell
Both of these are made by Filtech and are great quality, have a good bypass valve and more cleaning surface to catch dirt.
3) WIX

·
Registered
23 Posts
I always use the larger Honda oil filter from the S 2000, it fits most Honda vehicles......
Thanks for the recommendation Blue jean.
Great to learn about an alternative that may provide greater performance (more filtering media = greater filtering).
It appears your recommended S2000-specific filter is slightly shorter, but 3/4-inch wider than standard replacement Passport filter.
Got two filters left in my stock, so will definitely buy one (WIX 51334XP version, cause I have access to get that version), and try it on my next oil change this summer.

Thank you for the tip (y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts