Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Elite
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2020 Elite. My question is for you mechanically inclined amongst you. I know what emergency roadside equipment to carry. Such as triangles flares, fluids, first aid kit, jumper cables etc. what my question is in the way of tools like sockets, end wrenches, screwdrivers and the like. Given most modern cars aren’t exactly the same as the old days when you could do many things on the roadside. I’m just curious what many of you would recommend. As I tend to be a bit OCD and over do things somestimes. I just don’t want to carry a bunch of stuff I will never use. Thank you all in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2,322 Posts
Sounds like we should be asking you (lol)..

Here's what I have in my PP, that go a bit beyond the obvious:

1) In the center Console, I mounted a Inova T2 flashlight (uses CR123 batteries) in the very back area above the area that juts out, it is held in place via velcro, with the soft (fuzzy) side of the velcro wrapped around the flashlight and the hard-plasticy side attached the the upper console wall, this way it stays completely out of view and is ready when/if I need it.

2) In the small rear cubby (the one closest to the subwoofer) I have a small lock box (similar to the link), the cable is attached (locked) the the closest (chrome) child-seat tether. the cable and lock are also hidden under the rear mat. This box is ideal for locking valuables, locking your wallet, watch, etc. if you are at the beach, you can use it to lock a hand gun when traveling, etc.

Lastly, in my large cargo compartment, spare tire (lots of room on top of it) and the other small cubby, I have: a small Coleman chair, (2) waterproof jackets, a hat, water bottle and towel (to wipe any bird droppings spotted on my vehicle) a first aid kit, a small tool kit and may reusable grocery bags...!

·
Registered
431 Posts
In addition to most of the above:
Lithium Jump Starter Portable Power Bank with LED Flashlight (Costco)

18" long 1/2" breaker bar with lug nut socket.
Glass cleaner, paper towels
Box of surgical face masks (Costco)
Nitrile gloves (Costco)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Why the breaker bar, is it longer or stronger than the one that comes with the passport? where did you get it?

·
Registered
431 Posts
It is longer and stronger than the OEM tool. It makes taking off tight lug nuts much, much easier. I purchased from Amazon but also available at auto parts stores.

·
Super Moderator
2,322 Posts
I also need to get some pepper spray, I used to carry it in the center console of my previous vehicles, but haven't bought a new canister for the PP. I like it as a precaution, if any charges up on me. Which has never happened, but for $5 bucks, I still like having it at arms distance...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all of your answers. I really wasn’t so much looking for suggestions on first aid kits, or lighting and pepper spray. All useful items for sure. But more along the lines of tools screwdrivers, pliers, things that could be used for a minor repair. Given that so little on today’s modern cars are actually anything one might tackle in the field. I’m just wondering with the most likely things to happen what one should have on hand in the event of a minor problem.
And the gentleman that mentioned the breaker bar is very wise. Don’t slays assume you can break loose the lugs in a pinch especially if you aren’t the ones that last tightened them. Some shops or mechanics put them on to tight sometimes. Not on purpose maybe just not paying attention to the air gun settings. They are human after all.
Thanks again guys

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've found that the most useful tools to have are for a repairable tire puncture... 1) tire plug kit, 2) plier or multi-tool for removing shrapnel, 3) a decent 12VDC compressor. Waiting for roadside assistance may take an hour+ or never in a remote area.

If you desire other tools, metric hand tools (ratchet & sockets, combination/open-end wrench) and a Philips screwdriver. Specific sizes that are most useful are: 10mm, 14mm, 17mm and 22mm (for lug nuts). I've not had a need for these in an emergency.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I appreciate all of your answers. I really wasn’t so much looking for suggestions on first aid kits, or lighting and pepper spray. All useful items for sure. But more along the lines of tools screwdrivers, pliers, things that could be used for a minor repair. Given that so little on today’s modern cars are actually anything one might tackle in the field. I’m just wondering with the most likely things to happen what one should have on hand in the event of a minor problem.
And the gentleman that mentioned the breaker bar is very wise. Don’t slays assume you can break loose the lugs in a pinch especially if you aren’t the ones that last tightened them. Some shops or mechanics put them on to tight sometimes. Not on purpose maybe just not paying attention to the air gun settings. They are human after all.
Thanks again guys
Both kinds of screwdrivers in large and small sizes, crescent wrench and needle nosed pliers will do for almost everything that might happen - things come loose and these are useful for things brought with you or around you and not the car itself (tent, cooler, who knows).

·
Registered
130 Posts
It is longer and stronger than the OEM tool. It makes taking off tight lug nuts much, much easier. I purchased from Amazon but also available at auto parts stores.
So I have replacement wheels with spline nuts not regular lug nuts. I can find a ½" drive cheater bar (basically a big socket wrench) but can't find a ½" socket drive for the spline nuts, they all are just wrench driven. Did I just get a big socket to fit over the end of the existing spline socket I have (Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 1378SDKEY 13/16" and 7/8" Hex Lug Nut: Automotive

·
Registered
96 Posts
GiantsFan70 - I too like to carry a set of tools with me...I have screwdrivers, adjustable wrench, adjustable channel locks, pliers, multi-tool in a tool bag..Also, tow strap, jumper cables, duct tape, rain suit, wind breaker, camping type shovel, fire extinguisher, leather gloves,and a hammer. I like the suggestion of a breaker bar in the kit. I'm an Eagle Scout so it is hard to leave stuff out since I always want to Be Prepared. :)

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
265 Posts
Reactions: P0nzy

·
Registered
325 Posts
I put a 2" x 10" x 18" board in my rear storage tray. I'll use it under my OEM jack, for stability.
A 1/2" x 18" breaker bar, a 3" x 1/2" extension, and a socket in the storage tray, for my lug nuts.
A #2 Phillips screwdriver, to remove the air intake plenum, if I have to use my homemade "transmission to neutral tool" or if I have to gain access to the battery.
A pair of needle nosed pliers, to pull fuses and an assortment of micro fuses.
A standard screwdriver, a set of jumper cables, and a flashlight.
My 600 page owners manual is in the passenger door pocket. I should get a lighted-magnifying glass to read it, though.

I installed led lights in the engine compartment and have killed my battery only once, so far, because I forgot and left them on.

In case you want the OEM tranny release tool it's part# 07aaa-tz3a100 and is available on e-bay $131 + $6 shipping

Reactions: Reid Matthews

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here is my list of the emergency gear in my Passport.
4 way tire iron, I found a 16" that fits down inside the spare wheel.
A wrench support stand. Has multiple uses besides Just removing stuck lug nuts.
An inexpensive tool kit for roadside repairs. I do not remember the brand name, but it is very similar to this. Just fits in the under bed carrier tray.

EDIT: This is the exact set that I have in the vehicle. SAE & Metric to cover roadside repairs. I wouldn't use them all day every day but for emergencies they will do.

Compact 3 ton bottle jack and stabilizing pad. (I hate scissor jacks)
2 wheel chocks, Jumper cables, flares, emergency blanket & an emergency medical kit.
In the winter I also have a small shovel and a small tub of non clumping clay cat litter.

I guess I'm a bit old school, but I still will stop and help a stranded motorist or one that has been in an accident so I try to be prepared.

·
Registered
321 Posts
A fire extinguisher, a power pack for jumping, small socket set, multimeter, flashlight and first aid kit

·
Registered
White Diamond Pearl ****2019 Touring****
245 Posts
Masks, bottled water, navigation, cell phone, and a full tank of gas when driving in Oregon at this time . . .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi all. I’m just wondering? If I want to carry a set of emergency tools. For instance end wrenches and sockets. Are all the fasteners on a 2020 Passport metric?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts