Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else completely disappointed w the quality of the acoustic windshield?
I've got 17k miles, mostly around town driving, and windshield is totally pitted like it was sandblasted 馃槱.
Anyone replace acoustic w regular glass; if so, is it noticeably noisier?
Poor, poor quality IMO....

Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
I have over 30K on mine now, 50-50 mix of highway and local driving. In the sun my windshield shines like it has a pearlescent finish. :cool:
Really not a happy camper. :cautious:

Registered
I have 26K miles and some pits, but its not that bad yet. Most of the pits I've acquired from driving on dirt when it is windy, or after snow storms when there is sand on the road.

The Passport windshield seems average to slightly below average in toughness against pits to me, but Honda and most brands use major glass suppliers and are mostly all the same. I think the windshield angle and the airflow over the vehicle is a factor, as well as following distance, wind, how much abrasive debris is blown in the wind, etc.

It would really surprise me that acoustic vs. non acoustic would be much worse for durability, since the acoustic layer is between the glass layers. I have heard acoustic glass layers are thinner but reinforced. Perhaps due to the glass layer thickness, maybe pits show more readily?

Registered
26k miles on my 2019 Touring including two 3000 mile trips to the Pacific North West. Windshield looks like new. Maybe I have just been fortunate to have driven mostly on good roads, and perhaps lucky...so far.

Registered
2019 Elite B.F,2020 Ridgeline
We/wife have about 30k on odometer of our 2019 Elite. Have had 2 rocks chips repaired but rest of the glass seems in good shape. I typically "polish" the windshield every year or two on my vehicles, using an off the shelf type of kit and a handheld electric buffer. Seems to help with the nighttime fuzzy lights syndrome thing. I also wear glasses so try to keep them clean also.

Registered
8000 miles and have a bunch of pits, one RIGHT in my line of sight, driving me nuts. Ive been real careful trying not to accumulate these things, driving far behind the guy in front, etc but still accumulated a bunch so far. Its just the name of the game and Ive come to accept that windshields are replaceable wear and tear items. Sooner or later, you WILL need it replaced. Havent had a car in years that doesnt accumulate this type of wear, gets cracks and huge bullseye breaks, especially if you live somewhere in the northern part of the US. My last car, a VW had the windshield replaced 3 times in three years.

As far as "quality" goes, the windshield is made by Pilkinton, one of the biggest auto glass suppliers in the world. From what I understand the only difference between this and a standard windshield is that the plastic middle layer is of a different material. Otherwise, glass is the same.

Registered
2020 Touring
Honda Passport Acoustic Windshield:
Tuned specifically to attenuate wind-noise frequencies, the windshield glass uses an outer layer of 2.0 mm safety glass, a 0.7 mm thick middle layer of acoustic polyvinyl butyral (PVB) and a 1.8 mm inner glass layer for a total thickness of 4.5 mm. This helps the Passport place at the top of its class in wind-noise performance. The windshield also incorporates UV light-absorbing technology. The Sport trim utilizes 4.7 mm thick laminated glass with 2.0 mm outer and inner layers and a 0.7 mm regular PVB middle layer.

However I don't see where my Touring windshield SPECIFICALLY states "Acoustic" on it (No, AS1 does not mean acoustic. It just means it is laminated and meets safety tests)
Product Font Material property Gas Auto part

Hmm. Wonder if mine has an acoustic windshield?

Registered
Honda Passport Acoustic Windshield:
Tuned specifically to attenuate wind-noise frequencies, the windshield glass uses an outer layer of 2.0 mm safety glass, a 0.7 mm thick middle layer of acoustic polyvinyl butyral (PVB) and a 1.8 mm inner glass layer for a total thickness of 4.5 mm. This helps the Passport place at the top of its class in wind-noise performance. The windshield also incorporates UV light-absorbing technology. The Sport trim utilizes 4.7 mm thick laminated glass with 2.0 mm outer and inner layers and a 0.7 mm regular PVB middle layer.

However I don't see where my Touring windshield SPECIFICALLY states "Acoustic" on it (No, AS1 does not mean acoustic. It just means it is laminated and meets safety tests)
View attachment 13594

Hmm. Wonder if mine has an acoustic windshield?
I don't know if they are required to be always marked or not. I can't see a label on mine anywhere that declares it acoustic either.

Registered
I noticed pit marks like sandblasting throughout my entire windshield on my 2019 PP Elite from day one. I agree the quality is sub-par so I just live with it just like the auto high beam feature. Speaking of auto high beams I will say my wife's 2019 Chevy Equinox auto high beam feature works flawless. Maybe Honda should take a look at what GM did.

Registered
2021 AWD Sport Crystal Black / 2021 AWD EX-L lSteel Metallic
I think a lot of this has to do where one lives and the daily elements. If your in snow country and sand and salt is put out on a regular basis, these elements will be thrown in the air from vehicles ahead of you and will be like sand paper when it comes in contact with your windshield.
I live in the south and have never heard of this being a problem nor have i ever noticed excessive pit mark. I will say i do wax the windshield a couple times a year and this may help? I do it more for water beading.

Registered
I noticed pit marks like sandblasting throughout my entire windshield on my 2019 PP Elite from day one. I agree the quality is sub-par so I just live with it just like the auto high beam feature. Speaking of auto high beams I will say my wife's 2019 Chevy Equinox auto high beam feature works flawless. Maybe Honda should take a look at what GM did.
So Honda, on a 45K vehicle, told their glass provider...one of the largest providers of auto glass on the globe, told them to use "sub-par" materials.

Yeah.....not buying it.

Registered
Only 14K miles on my 2019 Elite and so far (knock wood) no chips or pits on my windshield.

When I first got mine I was curious about the "acoustic glass" and so I did a parts search for windshields using the Elite designation against the a standard model and they had different part numbers so there has to be something to it.

Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
16k or so miles, a few very small windshield chips. Too small to fill with resin, but they don鈥檛 cause an issue either. And this is the quietest of all my Honda鈥榮, Highway, city streets, long road trips, etc..

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive design

1 - 14 of 14 Posts