Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just purchased a new Elite. I noticed my drivers door panel doesn’t sit flush with the door handle surround. Does anyone else have a small gap and play around the drivers door handle area? I can push in with my finger and it sits flush and looks right. All other 3 door panels look perfect. Any fix or do I need a new door panel if my OCD keeps giving me fits? Thanks!
Car Automotive design Automotive tire Grey Automotive exterior

Hand Car Vehicle Hood Automotive design

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's just say the Passport is not the best of the build quality you expected from Honda.
So, it sounds like even if I’m able to get a replacement door panel, chances are it could be just as bad? If so, I guess I need to live with this and deal with it. It’s not mechanical but since it’s my door handle, I notice it all the time. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
335 Posts
So, it sounds like even if I’m able to get a replacement door panel, chances are it could be just as bad? If so, I guess I need to live with this and deal with it. It’s not mechanical but since it’s my door handle, I notice it all the time. Thanks for the reply.
You can try giving it a smack see maybe a pin didn't seat all the way?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can try giving it a smack see maybe a pin didn't seat all the way?
Good idea, and one I’ve tried already. I thought about applying some super glue (carefully) but am worried I may screw it up worse. If dealer is willing to get me a new door panel, I will consider. Of course, they make make things worse. It’s not hurting anything but I notice it and it stands out. So……..

·
Registered
447 Posts
Good idea, and one I’ve tried already. I thought about applying some super glue (carefully) but am worried I may screw it up worse. If dealer is willing to get me a new door panel, I will consider. Of course, they make make things worse. It’s not hurting anything but I notice it and it stands out. So……..
Using super glue in that location is a no no because the door handle housing is meant to be separable in order to remove the door panel, there's also no guarantee that the result won't look worse than before the super glue was applied. If I'm in the same situation I will live with it if it's no wider than an hairline, there are loads of such fit and finish issues all over most cars if you care to look for them. I have a fob with the Honda logo not sitting perfectly vertical, the tilt is by a few microns but it's visible if you look for it. I considered prying the logo off and gluing it back on but after a while I learnt to live with it.
Honda could certainly have done better with some design and build aspects of the Passport but the effects of all the factory shutdowns around the world in the past couple of years will likely continue to be felt in various ways by car buyers for the next decade or more. Reduced choice and less rigorous quality controls are now present everywhere you look.
Nevertheless, you may also want to consider asking the dealer for a replacement panel, that probably won't make you very popular with them as they might think you are nit-picking but if you are within days of your purchase it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The other thing is the clip can be shifted out of place not hooking to the door panel correctly. You can try removing the door panel and reseat yourself. Or just take it to the dealer.
I would not use superglue

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. So, I removed the door panel today (VERY easy), and tightened some bolts, checked clips, and it helped a little. I took double sided tape and placed between the door handle surround and door panel gap from behind and that helped a little as well. It looks close to the other 3 doors now, and not so obvious. I can live with it. I’m very OCD and am confident there is nothing else a dealer could do other than order a new door panel. Of course, when they install it, who knows what else they would break. So, I’m happy with the result and love fixing and tinkering with things. Cheers everyone.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just checked my 2022 Elite. Same issue here. Did not notice it until reading this post. It’s not a huge deal but should line up like the rest of the panels. Other than tightening some screws let us know if you get the issue corrected. I don’t think there is a clip or anything to hold it in place better - it’s just the way it was designed unfortunately.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'll echo what others have said. The fit and finish of the passports is not the best. I had a similar plastic panel issue in the rear cargo area on the right side. Was obvious when purchased new, and dealer said they'd replace it. They did, and there's still a slight misalignment, although no where near as bad as before. Also have found inconsistent body panel gaps between driver and passenger side. With all of the other comments I've read on here and other places, I've come to settle that this is just how they're built.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Passport EX-L
2 Posts
Hello There i also noticed my 2022 EX-L has the same issue you have... drivers side door inner panel where the handle and memory seat trim...its just not in right and there is a gap... it might be on all models they offer on the 2022's... this might be a factory flaw or assembly plant flaw... also noticed plastic inner door panels have rough edges i guess thats how they were molded. I was pretty pissed when i saw it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts