Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are looking at replacing a 3 year old Mazda 3 with an SUV. We have driven a Mazda CX-5, a Ford Edge and finally the Honda Passport. We would like a larger car as we snowbird from the cold, snowy NW to the warm weather of the emerald coast. We like them all but are probably leaning toward the Passport Elite. My chief complaint with the Honda are those obnoxious black wheels. We may wait for the 2020 to see if Honda offers an alternative. I'm not into buying a $40K car just to buy aftermarket wheels but these are bad IMO.

Anybody else?

Reactions: Homer

·
Registered
278 Posts
My wife and I are looking at replacing a 3 year old Mazda 3 with an SUV. We have driven a Mazda CX-5, a Ford Edge and finally the Honda Passport. We would like a larger car as we snowbird from the cold, snowy NW to the warm weather of the emerald coast. We like them all but are probably leaning toward the Passport Elite. My chief complaint with the Honda are those obnoxious black wheels. We may wait for the 2020 to see if Honda offers an alternative. I'm not into buying a $40K car just to buy aftermarket wheels but these are bad IMO.

Anybody else?
When doing my research I looked at the features that the Elite offered over the Touring (I also did not want the black wheels). I thought they were incremental improvements or features that I really didn't need. Of course everyone's needs/wants are different. Opting for the Touring with the gray wheels might be the way to go. You can add some of the Elite features to the Touring as accessories, if so desired.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I like the black finish on the wheels as well, but understand that they aren't for everyone. Rather than buying a whole new set, I'm sure you could have them refinished/wrapped for much less.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've grown to like the black wheels, but that might also depend on the color of Passport you prefer.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think we'll be seeing more and more vehicles with black wheels in the future because the brake dust doesn't show as much.

·
Registered
534 Posts
When doing my research I looked at the features that the Elite offered over the Touring (I also did not want the black wheels). I thought they were incremental improvements or features that I really didn't need. Of course everyone's needs/wants are different. Opting for the Touring with the gray wheels might be the way to go. You can add some of the Elite features to the Touring as accessories, if so desired.
I also don't care for black wheels and did the same... bought a Touring with the gray wheels, didn't need or want the extra features on the Elite.

·
461 Posts
I’m a huge fan of the black wheels but to each their own and my experience has been positive with them as my 2018 GT has them and they still look new (granted only 3200 miles on them) ? I cant wait to get the PP’s nice and dirty ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I opted for the Elite because of the extra features even though I HATE shiny black wheels. Here in Denver you can powder coat wheels for about $700-900 depending on the color you go with and have a lifetime warranty on the finish. I actually used Plasti-Dip in gray before I found the powder coating option and really love the look (as long as you take your time and do it correctly). When the Plasti-Dip wears off or starts looking like crap I'll have them powder coated because of the durability...

Here are some pics of Plasti-Dipped wheels ($45 for 4 cans): https://www.passportforums.com/threads/shiny-black-wheels-no-more.635/#post-7253

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm sort of surprised that wheel brands like Vossen hasn't jumped on the Passport. Its such an important product for Honda and a great customer base for selling wheels. Unless i'm not looking in the right places.

·
461 Posts
I'm sort of surprised that wheel brands like Vossen hasn't jumped on the Passport. Its such an important product for Honda and a great customer base for selling wheels. Unless i'm not looking in the right places.
I agree and I’m sure it will come shortly just too bad companies in general don’t proactively come out with new products when a vehicle is released suppose it’s on Honda getting the autos to them in time and that would be a nightmare to control, so I will wait it out as I drive my PP today ?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I can't say I completely dislike the black wheels; what I don't like is the gloss finish on them. For an "off road adventure" vehicle that look doesn't work for me. Thinking about slappin' on some matte clear plasti-dip to see if that tones down the gloss appearance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think we'll be seeing more and more vehicles with black wheels in the future because the brake dust doesn't show as much.

That's it! That completely does it for me. More and more, they were growing on me, looking better and better with my dark obsidian blue paint job. But it didn't even occur to me that they were solving the appearance problem posed by brake dust on otherwise snazzy wheels. That's the clincher, along with more and more complements. Thanks for helping me see the light, Nipped Dog!

Reactions: Scooter Dude

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm the OP. I see in the Wheel and Tire section there are others in my camp. And, there are those that like the black wheels over those sold on other trim levels and are willing to trade.

I'll probably look in that direction if I pull the trigger on a Passport.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ask the Dealer about wheel trade-in or similar. Sometimes they offer you a different wheel, dealer installed, and will give you credit for your black ones. I personally LOVE the black wheels, but I understand that look isn't everyone's favorite.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Ask the Dealer about wheel trade-in or similar. Sometimes they offer you a different wheel, dealer installed...
Yeah, I was offered this when I told the sales guy I wanted an Elite but wasn't sure about the black wheels. He told me I can trade down (from Elite wheels to Touring wheels, for example) but couldn't trade up to Elite wheels. In my case I eventually decided to stick with the black wheels.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Honestly, the only reason why I am even contemplating the Elite is because the black wheels look awesome on the white color. Otherwise, I would just consider the Touring version.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts