Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain to me what happens mechanically in the engine of the Passport when you go into economy mode?

·
Registered
36 Posts
ECON mode affects mostly throttle response, HVAC operation and possibly transmission shift points. Nothing technically “inside” the engine changes. VCM, on the other hand, disables half the cylinders, is automatic and not selectable by the driver.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ECON mode affects mostly throttle response, HVAC operation and possibly transmission shift points. Nothing technically “inside” the engine changes. VCM, on the other hand, disables half the cylinders, is automatic and not selectable by the driver.
How does it affect the HVAC operation?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Why doesn’t the passport engine have the variable displacement feature that was on my hybrid accord years ago. It was terrific. Got great highway mileage

·
Registered
147 Posts
Why doesn’t the passport engine have the variable displacement feature that was on my hybrid accord years ago. It was terrific. Got great highway mileage
I don’t think you’ve been reading; it does but it’s the VCM and it will destroy your engine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don’t think you’ve been reading; it does but it’s the VCM and it will destroy your engine.
You apparently haven’t been keeping up with the times. The modern implementation of VCM is much better than gen 1 that did indeed have issues. Newer VCM-equipped engines are much improved. Oil consumption that was prevalent on the older cars is nearly non-existent now. There’s no need to fear VCM in newer Hondas.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You apparently haven’t been keeping up with the times. The modern implementation of VCM is much better than gen 1 that did indeed have issues. Newer VCM-equipped engines are much improved. Oil consumption that was prevalent on the older cars is nearly non-existent now. There’s no need to fear VCM in newer Hondas.
Actually, I have been reading about this issue since taking ownership of a 2019 Honda Odyssey in May 13, 2019. I’ve heard of cylinder deactivation before and never gave it a thought until...I started reading about these issues AND experiencing some of my own in my brand new Odyssey.
The Odyssey was at the dealership constantly over the 90 days of ownership. I kept the car stock as far as the engine is concerned. I had ordered the VCMTUNER2 several weeks before being asked to trade it in on my newer Passport. I never installed it because I never had the car home long enough to do so.
The engine would shake at times, especially at idle. It was never as smooth running as the same engine in my Passport. It struggled in the foothills of North Carolina and would jerk you around during downshifts.
No. I never saw blue smoke. No. I never measured the oil level.
There were far too many people on the Odyssey forum having worse issues than I was having - and still driving their vans. All who installed the VCM disabled saw improvements in overall performance, comfort, and little impact on gas mileage - the reason for the variable cylinder management in the first place.
The motor mounts in these engines are about $1000 EACH and there are two, I believe. Most people feel nothing - until it’s too late. By that time the damage is done.
I’ve had seamless performance improvement since my installation and excellent gas mileage that exceeds manufacturer estimated mileage.
Instead of masking the pain of a toothache, I’d rather prevent it by good dental hygiene. That’s how I feel about this excellent Honda engine! I’m not advocating anyone decide to do anything to their personal vehicle they are not convinced will be of benefit. I’m being proactive in prevention on my side of the table and I’ll be interested to discover any findings for those who chose to do otherwise in a few thousand miles.
Condescension really has no place in this forum, by the way. These vehicles aren’t cheap and I’m doing my best to stay abreast of anything that will prolong life, performance, and reliability regardless of what efforts Honda May have expended to rectify even in the recent past.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Actually, I have been reading about this issue since taking ownership of a 2019 Honda Odyssey in May 13, 2019. I’ve heard of cylinder deactivation before and never gave it a thought until...I started reading about these issues AND experiencing some of my own in my brand new Odyssey.
The Odyssey was at the dealership constantly over the 90 days of ownership. I kept the car stock as far as the engine is concerned. I had ordered the VCMTUNER2 several weeks before being asked to trade it in on my newer Passport. I never installed it because I never had the car home long enough to do so.
The engine would shake at times, especially at idle. It was never as smooth running as the same engine in my Passport. It struggled in the foothills of North Carolina and would jerk you around during downshifts.
No. I never saw blue smoke. No. I never measured the oil level.
There were far too many people on the Odyssey forum having worse issues than I was having - and still driving their vans. All who installed the VCM disabled saw improvements in overall performance, comfort, and little impact on gas mileage - the reason for the variable cylinder management in the first place.
The motor mounts in these engines are about $1000 EACH and there are two, I believe. Most people feel nothing - until it’s too late. By that time the damage is done.
I’ve had seamless performance improvement since my installation and excellent gas mileage that exceeds manufacturer estimated mileage.
Instead of masking the pain of a toothache, I’d rather prevent it by good dental hygiene. That’s how I feel about this excellent Honda engine! I’m not advocating anyone decide to do anything to their personal vehicle they are not convinced will be of benefit. I’m being proactive in prevention on my side of the table and I’ll be interested to discover any findings for those who chose to do otherwise in a few thousand miles.
Condescension really has no place in this forum, by the way. These vehicles aren’t cheap and I’m doing my best to stay abreast of anything that will prolong life, performance, and reliability regardless of what efforts Honda May have expended to rectify even in the recent past.
Condescension was not my intent, but a blanket statement that VCM will destroy your engine with no supporting argument came across as a viewpoint of someone who was burned by the first-gen VCM issues and wrongly assumed that Honda sat back and let those issues continue all the way to present times without addressing them. The Odyssey issues you describe are all new to me. Reports of VCM issues, other than the occasional "rumble strip" effect, seem to be fairly few and far between on other Hondas.

Disabling VCM is an option, and frankly, one I tried on my '17 Accord V6 as some of the operation, noises and sensations seemed related to VCM. After nearly a year with it disabled, I re-enabled it and realized that most of my complaints were due to the 6sp transmission and it's sometimes erratic behavior and noisy torque converter. The only downside to disabling VCM could come in the form of hassles from the dealer if they discover it during a warranty claim, or can show evidence of it being disabled.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts