Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did an experiment yesterday evening. Had to make a run to the Orlando airport and back. Each way was about 35 miles, 30 on the freeway.

On the drive down, in D with cruise control set at 72, I was able to get 24.5 mpg. I'm impressed.

On the drive back, in D but with Econ pressed and cruise control at 72, I was able to only get 23.2 mpg.

I guess Econ isn't for freeway cruise control driving.

*shrug*

(Odometer = 500 miles.)

·
Registered
349 Posts
I wonder what the RPM was at 72mph in ECON & Non-ECON mode . ECON may have choosen a higher gear making the engine work harder when in ECON mode?

·
Registered
349 Posts
You’re one of those 12 miles to school in the snow uphill both ways guys, aren’t you?
I will let you know, without no shoes on too..

·
Registered
19 Posts
I learned a long time ago that (in my 16’Civic Touring Sedan) the Econ button actually hurts the fuel economy contrary to what it sounds like... I will never hit that button ever again...

B. A.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I did an experiment yesterday evening. Had to make a run to the Orlando airport and back. Each way was about 35 miles, 30 on the freeway.

On the drive down, in D with cruise control set at 72, I was able to get 24.5 mpg. I'm impressed.

On the drive back, in D but with Econ pressed and cruise control at 72, I was able to only get 23.2 mpg.

I guess Econ isn't for freeway cruise control driving.

*shrug*

(Odometer = 500 miles.)
Econ Button is for the people who has a heavy foot starting from 0MPH. The gas pedal RPM is slower and softer response, you will notice the difference when you are stepping on the gas pedal. On the freeway you are not going to notice a huge difference, due to a vehicle that is already in motion while you are accelerating.
If you are going up the hill, i definitely recommend turning off the Econ button, because you will use low rpm with higher gear which will hurt your MPG more.
Try to drive the vehicle to the airport the other way around, turn on the EcoMode when you are going and turning it off when you are coming back. You will know the difference. When i use my daily vehicle for work (Honda Fit) i get about 43MPG, but on the way back i get 37MPG both with econ button on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Passport is so sluggish with the ECON button pushed, I feel like I'll get killed if I leave it on and try to cross a street. Feels like my HP drops from 280 to 80!! My 2017 Accord was barely noticeable when the button was pushed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I used that button all the time on my 15 Accord and it actually made a nice difference in gas milage without sapping the power much. I have not used it yet in the Passport though. I'm pretty happy with the power profile without that pedal dampening button activated. I'm mildly curious as to how much gas mileage increases with it, just not enough to actually use it unless someone posts a huge difference using it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I tried Econ for the first time recently after owning my Passport since mid-March. After only a few miles I decided to turn off the Econ mode and never turn it on again.

·
Registered
732 Posts
After reading all the posts regarding the Econ button, the experiences all seem to be negative. Does it have any useful/positive uses? To me, its function seems to starve the engine of fuel to improve MPG and reduce performance.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I run in econ all the time. Most of my driving (since I retired) is around town at 25-40 mph. With traffic, I must accelerate slowly to moderate. I find the econ mode easier to drive in these conditions, I have more petal travel to work with accelerating. I also seem to drive "smoother" while in econ mode. it took a bit time time to get used to it but it is now my normal way to drive. The only time I take it off is on the expressway when I'm in high speed traffic and need instant power to pass or change lanes.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I run in econ all the time. Most of my driving (since I retired) is around town at 25-40 mph. With traffic, I must accelerate slowly to moderate. I find the econ mode easier to drive in these conditions, I have more petal travel to work with accelerating. I also seem to drive "smoother" while in econ mode. it took a bit time time to get used to it but it is now my normal way to drive. The only time I take it off is on the expressway when I'm in high speed traffic and need instant power to pass or change lanes.
thank gregc for some balance in the Econ discussion and how it enhances your driving style.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is it weird i use the car in Sport Mode in conjunction with Econ all the time? I average 22-24MPG

·
Registered
274 Posts
It's like a whole new vehicle!

I've had mine for about two months now and have had it in Econ mode since I bought it. After reading this thread, I decided to switch it out of Econ mode just to see what it would be like. Man, it feels like it went from a big lumbering beast to a svelte little sports car.

(Well, almost :LOL:).

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's like a whole new vehicle!

I've had mine for about two months now and have had it in Econ mode since I bought it. After reading this thread, I decided to switch it out of Econ mode just to see what it would be like. Man, it feels like it went from a big lumbering beast to a svelte little sports car.

(Well, almost :LOL:).
OMG LOL! Im so sorry for your lost time . ENJOY

1 - 20 of 58 Posts