Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,569 Posts
Yes, this one. I get a lot of sand dust where I live. Even though I park in my garage, I get quite a bit of dust in the garage from the wind, I do sweep it out about once a week. I don’t park at the beach so that’s not where it comes from. But I notice a lot of dust on my vehicle and the running boards. Will pay attention to the door frame and make sure it’s clean before putting them on. And thanks for the heat tip. I might have to wait and put them on in the summer.

As for the rear tailgate door sill, I have the Xpel clear protection on that and just Cautious with my suitcases back there.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,170 Posts
I previously poo-pood the idea of protecting the door sills; however now that I see ProdGirls pics I better understand.
They're not about protecting the door sills - they are designed strictly for appearance; and depending on price this Cheap Charlie could like them.

FYI: I don't see dust, it's invisible to me. What I do see is Lots of long Dog Hair - but that's a dealer problem come trade-in time.

I remember a few years back - when another user was marketing a similar product (designing custom stainless steel plates) for our much loved RidgeLine product; while I liked it I wasn't about to pony up his asking price + shipping.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,170 Posts
Another off the subject post (but still somewhat on subject). My father owned a dealership and as a teen I worked for him, cleaning cars @ 25 cents per. Working all day Saturday I often made $4 (tax free).

He once took in a 2 year old Buick station wagon that was used to carry goats, sheep, etc (as well as his being a cigar smoker) - and it obviously stunk to high heaven.

With joyful encouragement from his mechanics I literally hosed it out; after many days of summertime sun exposure it dried out (premium vinyl seats were then the norm), and it did make a difference. Still, Dad was not happy.

RIP Dad - as well as to every single one of his mechanics that encouraged me to enlist.

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
They're not about protecting the door sills - they are designed strictly for appearance; and depending on price this Cheap Charlie could like them.
With all due respect you are incorrect here: they DO protect the painted door sill area from scuffs and scratching! If do not believe it and think it is a huge conspiracy to separate you from your hard-earned money, then that's fine, but that is your opinion.

Anyone who gets in and out of their vehicles with muddy, dirty or wet shoes or boots may tend to drag them across the sill area which will leave scratching.

I've had previous vehicles without them and can tell you, that the sill area takes a beating and that is why I bought them and recommend them.

Cheers...

·
Registered
64 Posts
With all due respect you are incorrect here: they DO protect the painted door sill area from scuffs and scratching! If do not believe it and think it is a huge conspiracy to separate you from your hard-earned money, then that's fine, but that is your opinion.

Anyone who gets in and out of their vehicles with muddy, dirty or wet shoes or boots may tend to drag them across the sill area which will leave scratching.

I've had previous vehicles without them and can tell you, that the sill area takes a beating and that is why I bought them and recommend them.

Cheers...

·
Registered
64 Posts
i would also highly suggest diy it rather than paying dealers.... fml mfs wanted 130 for labor and think it was 79 for the part plus tax for install and im like ya'll must be high lol.

did it myself and paid 59 think shipped for the part

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,569 Posts
“Anyone who gets in and out of their vehicles with muddy, dirty or wet shoes or boots may tend to drag them across the sill area which will leave scratching”

Oh Jeez...and my nephews, who are 3 & 6, and the apples of my eye. If we don’t swap the car seats, which is rare because it’s such a PIA, I will buckle them in the back seat and drive them to the mailbox, maybe 100’ from their house...because they think Aunties car is COOL...but the dirt and little gravel rocks they drag along the running board, door sill, floor mats - and the seats! Yes...they jump on my seats - if I blink my eyes for two seconds and don’t catch them.

Reactions: stevenD

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,170 Posts
I guess it comes down to 'whats acceptable' wear. I don't believe a scratched door sill is worthy of (my) concern; your acceptance is obviously different.
While I question its long term durability (its just a film) - when new it does looks good.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
825 Posts
The Passport door sill protectors are thicker, harder and textured versus the normal clear paint film protector (like the rear bumper applique). It took more effort and heat to bend the door sill protector over the edges and insure it sticks.

I like to keep my vehicles in nice condition and typically own them for awhile (up to 200K mile and 10 years or more). I've had scuffs on the door sills of my sedans and coupes. The PP is higher with a wide painted door sill. It may be subject to more scuffing? If you are able to install it yourself, it is cheap insurance. Lastly, they're pretty.

This was our 2003 Accord with 200K+ miles and 15 years old at time of sale...

View attachment 4357
I’m with you. I keep my cars at least 15 years, so anything I can do to protect them for the long haul is a plus!

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
825 Posts
I've never heard of a vehicle being disabled from worn/ torn door steps.
If its a big concern then an annual touch up (with rattle can paint) should suffice.

I worry about wear on the Go/ stop Pedals - am thinking - maybe booties <Grin>.
I hate surfaces that get scratched up that I have to see every time I get into my cars. If I can install something to prevent the annoying wear, I’ll do it.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,170 Posts
How do y'all treat your hammers? Wrenches? There is an equal pride in using them (as designed).

Additionally I again ask, how well will a thin film resist dirty / muddy foot traffic?

·
Registered
137 Posts
A related question: how easily do the films come-off when they themselves are damaged and need to be replaced? Any paint damage?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
A related question: how easily do the films come-off when they themselves are damaged and need to be replaced? Any paint damage?
First, the protection film for the door sill and rear bumper are thick and stout in comparison to paint protection film. It would require something sharp or a hard blow to damage the film. I believe that the rear bumper film is self-healing with a little heat application? The other problem would be bad application with the corner or edges of the film lifting.

For removal if the underlying paint is factory original (or proper paint prep if resprayed), apply heat or steamer to soften the adhesive and gently lift. Then, clean up with adhesive remover.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Additionally I again ask, how well will a thin film resist dirty / muddy foot traffic?
Just fine. The film is relatively thick. Easily wipes down with a soapy solution, even for the rear bumper that is a dust and dirt magnet due to the nature of a hatchback.

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just received my Honda branded door Sill Protection from Bernardi's; $60.00. They look good and heavy duty. No, not cheap but seem nice. I decided to do this after I looked at my 10 year old FJ Cruiser sills as I was trading in for this Passport and realized how beat the sills looked. I had taken great care of that vehicle and never noticed that ugliness until then.

I've read the above posts and seems like the install is pretty straight forward. Are there any tricks or tips for installing these. It looks like a made up install solution should work fine?

·
Registered
White Diamond Pearl ****2019 Touring****
250 Posts
I've read the above posts and seems like the install is pretty straight forward. Are there any tricks or tips for installing these. It looks like a made up install solution should work fine?
Very easy. Only suggestion is kinda common sense: Make sure vinyls sit in the sun or are otherwise very warm; makes bending them over edge of door sill much easier without them 'springing' back up off the vertical edge. The squeegee and cover they provide is more than adequate. If unconfident of your skills, do the smaller rear door sills first, using the instructions regarding placement. Easy enough to move vinyl around on initial application, so don't worry about instant contact, however after several passes with squeegee to remove solution and air bubbles vinyl will adhere very well.

If you are also doing your rear liftgate sill, make sure sill is spotlessly clean, and your squeegee cover cloth likewise spotless. Since rear liftgate sill covers are clear, the slightest dust/dirt will show, especially along the edges, during installation. If you do get a dust-booger on the edge, more solution and lift slightly to flush it out. Do door sills first to get the hang of it before tackling liftgate sill.

Overall I am v-e-r-y satisfied with the results, and would highly recommend them. (y) Take your time and good luck.

Reactions: EKJ and kgamsg
21 - 40 of 49 Posts