Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the afternoon applying Door Sill Protection Film on each of the door sills. Looks good on white and also on black (seen at dealership). Applied the Rear Bumper Applique, too. Both require prep, time and patience. The rear bumper was more difficult. Because the applique is clear, have to insure there is no specks of dirt under the film and it is necessary to remove all the air bubbles for best results. Requires 3M Protective Tape Application Solution or make your own (25% alcohol, 75% water, 4 drops dish detergent liquid per pint). Heat (hair dryer) helps with adhesion and bending the film over the edge.

Front right, rear right, left bumper, right bumper...

IMG_4073.JPG IMG_4072.JPG IMG_4074.JPG IMG_4077.JPG

·
Super Moderator
2,315 Posts
Oh, those look great, I ordered these with my car, still waiting for the dealer to get them in though..

BTW: the week after next, I'm getting my entire front end (Hood, fenders, headlights, fog & turn lights, and the gloss black piece around the grill, mirror-fronts, and door handles) all covered with the clear mylar stuff...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone installed generic Door Sill protection, not branded with logo ?
The Passport door sill protectors are thicker, harder and textured versus the normal clear paint film protector (like the rear bumper applique). It took more effort and heat to bend the door sill protector over the edges and insure it sticks.

I get that you want to protect your pretty - but doorsills, that's strange to me.
I like to keep my vehicles in nice condition and typically own them for awhile (up to 200K mile and 10 years or more). I've had scuffs on the door sills of my sedans and coupes. The PP is higher with a wide painted door sill. It may be subject to more scuffing? If you are able to install it yourself, it is cheap insurance. Lastly, they're pretty.

This was our 2003 Accord with 200K+ miles and 15 years old at time of sale...

DSC_6507.jpg

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not the plastic molding that I care to protect as some scuffs and marks will develop over time, am fine with that. It is the metal painted area under door as several of our PP's have small dents there.

Something like this https://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/08F05-TVA-100.html
The Passport branded door sill protectors serves the purpose of protecting the metal area. If you do not like the black branded protectors, try a generic XPEL film and cut to length?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Our Ridgelines come with these OEM installed, all of them, no logo, just a clean look.

Our PP's have an even wider metal area which is "hit" each time driver or passenger gets in/out.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,170 Posts
I've never heard of a vehicle being disabled from worn/ torn door steps.
If its a big concern then an annual touch up (with rattle can paint) should suffice.

I worry about wear on the Go/ stop Pedals - am thinking - maybe booties <Grin>.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@DudeCS did you leave your door open for awhile or certain time after installing or it’s ok to close them after few mins?

Thanks
After it has been applied, it is okay to close the door. The door does not make contact with the protective film. The adhesive grips upon installation and cures overnight.

·
Registered
64 Posts
After it has been applied, it is okay to close the door. The door does not make contact with the protective film. The adhesive grips upon installation and cures overnight.

awesome thanks again , hope nothing bad happens overnight
It’s 61 atm

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,495 Posts
Hey guys! I’m contemplating getting the thinner material proliferators with the Passport logo on them. However, those who have had them for a bit, do you get any dust build up around the edge of the appliqué? That would make me a little crazy!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys! I’m contemplating getting the thinner material proliferators with the Passport logo on them. However, those who have had them for a bit, do you get any dust build up around the edge of the appliqué? That would make me a little crazy!
Do you mean the Honda accessory Door Sill Protection Film? The door sill area does not get very dirty or dusty because it is behind the door seals. Unless you are in a very dusty area? The OEM film is relatively thick and requires a bit of heat and effort to bend it over the edge.

On the other hand, the Rear Bumper Applique that is clear and exposed to the elements does suffer from dust and dirt build up. Very noticeable on my white. A quick spray and wipe removes it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Not on mine. They’ve been on since May.

Reactions: ProdGirl
1 - 20 of 45 Posts