Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 EXL-AWD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a great Oil pump extractor that I use for my outboard
Yamaha 150. It will pump out up to 8 quarts thru the oil stick tube. Can I use this on my 2020 Passport?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I don’t see why not but it’s not that hard to do it from the bottom. I do extraction on my S2000 because it can’t clear my ramps.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
184 Posts
It can be, I did mine 2 weeks ago with a Mityvac, worked well. I will say the oil filter is a bit of a PIA.
Location, clearance, shroud...I was like WTF!?

·
Registered
70 Posts
It can be, I did mine 2 weeks ago with a Mityvac, worked well. I will say the oil filter is a bit of a PIA.
I suffered only once doing an oil change on my 2016 Pilot, which has the same setup as my 2019 Passport! The insane location of the oil filter right above a frame arm, and barely the room to drop it out. The first time was a oily mess everywhere and down my arms. When winter came, I was changing my snowtires out and when the front passenger side tire came off.....there was the oil filter in plain sight! My oil changes are now during my tire swaps, I lay down a towel on the frame arm, pull off the filter and replace it. Easy! PP is already jacked up for tire swap, so easy to slide under and drain oil. 15 min max!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Use a clear zip-lock sandwich bag on the oil filter, after you crack it loose.
Hint...your hand stays on the outside of the bag, at all times.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would drain it from the bottom. You get any junk that might build up from engine wear that may or may not get sucked out from the top, especially as the car ages. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
18 Posts
After crawling under a car for 20 yrs to change the oil, mityvac is my new best friend. Now, when the warranty runs out I will install an oil filter relocation kit.

·
Registered
145 Posts
User Name Error said:
..when the warranty runs out I will install an oil filter relocation kit.
DId that on a few Mazda's. If you happen to research parts suitable for PP, place(s) to buy, post info - am sure many would appreciate it! May even be possible to use a larger size oil filter than OEM, depending on where to mount bracket.

·
Registered
462 Posts
On my 2nd oil filter change I did not like the clearance even after turning the wheel so I just trimmed the shroud about 3". Might not be the best move in areas with snow and slush. But here in San Diego we are not concerned about that sort of thing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
DId that on a few Mazda's. If you happen to research parts suitable for PP, place(s) to buy, post info - am sure many would appreciate it! May even be possible to use a larger size oil filter than OEM, depending on where to mount bracket.
Awesome! For sure! I mostlikely will piece all my parts together via Summit AN fitting /lines etc. I believe the needed thread is 20mm x 1.5mm. While trying to look up a kit, I saw some reusable oil filter that seemed interesting the brand name is called "System 1". I haven't done my homework on reusable filter. What are your thoughts on those type of filters?

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
184 Posts
Awesome! For sure! I mostlikely will piece all my parts together via Summit AN fitting /lines etc. I believe the needed thread is 20mm x 1.5mm. While trying to look up a kit, I saw some reusable oil filter that seemed interesting the brand name is called "System 1". I haven't done my homework on reusable filter. What are your thoughts on those type of filters?
Another "thing" to maintain...no thanks. The oem are designed specifically for the vehicle and are cheap enough to not do every oil change. It's like using a K & N air filter. Why?

·
Registered
75 Posts
When I had my Ridgeline I made a mess thinking it could simply wipe off the subframe where the spill collects. It actually got into the subframe and dripped out by a pushpin for months. Interestingly enough, I noticed on the PP there is a diaper on that section of subframe now. I tied the ziploc bag thing but didn't work for me. I simply turn the wheel, lay a rag on the subframe and no issues. It's not that bad compared to the Integras and Preludes that we had with the filter on the side of the engine by the firewall. I had to do this from underneath.

I hear nothing but good stuff about the extractors. I guess you could try it and then pull the plug as a test to see how much comes out and know it it really works.

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
184 Posts
When I had my Ridgeline I made a mess thinking it could simply wipe off the subframe where the spill collects. It actually got into the subframe and dripped out by a pushpin for months. Interestingly enough, I noticed on the PP there is a diaper on that section of subframe now. I tied the ziploc bag thing but didn't work for me. I simply turn the wheel, lay a rag on the subframe and no issues. It's not that bad compared to the Integras and Preludes that we had with the filter on the side of the engine by the firewall. I had to do this from underneath.

I hear nothing but good stuff about the extractors. I guess you could try it and then pull the plug as a test to see how much comes out and know it it really works.
It really works. 😉

·
Registered
18 Posts
Those Fumoto are brilliant! I just recently learned about them and installed one on my Dodge Ram since my MityVac 7300 won't suck the oil out on my Truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts