Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I posted this in another forum but I'm checking to see what you guys think as well...

I'm trying to determine if AWD is worth having (or not) for my situation. Here in S Florida we get no snow. The streets are flat. No hills, no mountains, no off-roading. We do get a good amount of rain, sometimes torrential rainstorms. Will AWD help in the rain, or is it a waste of money in my case since it's more expensive, heavier, worse gas mileage.

Any thoughts to share? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you are never going to use a vehicle in snow, mud or on dirt roads, I personally don't think rain - even heavy rain - is justification for having AWD.

That being said, when I lived in southern California, I did have AWD (or 4WD) on my SUVs, mainly for the times we headed to the nearby mountains during the winter.

But if you drive like you're supposed to drive in rain, I don't think having AWD will make much of a difference.

Just my two cents...YMMV.

·
Registered
110 Posts
For me the justification of AWD is for better road handling and acceleration.

Both my FWD CR-V and previous RWD pickup would be prone to wheel slip/spin when trying to turn out into traffic and accelerate, moreso with damp roads. A friend has an Audi with their Quattro AWD system and it drives like it's on rails in those situations.

As the adage goes though all cars already have four wheel brakes, so AWD isn't going to help you if you're going too fast or not leaving proper following distance for the conditions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Stability control, ABS, EBD, etc. are all good to have. BUT having more wheels with traction to grip the road is always a good thing.......esp if you have to do emergency handling in the wet (or any foul weather) to avoid something or get around something.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just to clarify, I'm not unaware of the value of having AWD. But the way I see it, the OP was asking a cost/benefit question and I stand by my opinion.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that even those who know and state the benefits of having AWD in this thread probably also have 2WD vehicles in their households.

If cost is no object, sure, go for it. (Better to have it and not need it vs. need it and not have it. ;)) But having AWD mainly in case of an emergency is an expensive option for some. And I seriously doubt that an AWD Passport will accelerate faster or even handle better than FWD in normal driving on paved roads.

·
Registered
110 Posts
And I seriously doubt that an AWD Passport will accelerate faster or even handle better than FWD in normal driving on paved roads.
It's the Acura SH-AWD system that applies torque vectoring during cornering, it definitely has an effect on paved roads.

Notice the turns while accelerating starting around 23m, my CR-V would have been spinning the front wheels all over for that maneuver. I haven't made a firm decision yet but I definitely want to test drive the AWD version and see if it makes a big of a difference on-road as I've heard claimed in many Pilot and Ridgeline reviews.

Also I agree that it's really not necessary, just seems like a nice-to-have capability that you usually only find on luxury segment vehicles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think you'll have to wait and see what the price difference is between the FWD and AWD model and make your decision then. Imo a good set of rubber will be more than satisfactory for wet conditions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Its the same. I also have a pilot with it. You can see the active torque vectoring on the gauge cluster while its working on the passport.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Based on my own experience (had both 2WD and 4WD SUV models from Honda/Acura), 4WD definitely improves driving in heavy rain. I greatly regretted not getting the 4WD version. At the end of day, tires are the only contact points between your car and road, and difference between getting the power to all 4 tires (when needed) and only 2 tires can be HUGE. In some extreme cases, it could be difference between avoiding an accident or not. It's your own call since it's your $$, but extra ~$2k seems worth it to me, especially if you're driving around with your family in it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes I have seen the video. Its the same system, tweaked for the application.

Regarding AWD/FWD, if you can't wait for a Passport test drive go drive a FWD pilot in an empty wet parking lot and then compare with an AWD Pilot. Give it some gas on a turn. FWD Pilot will have a tendency to push into the corner, AWD will have more rotation as the torque vectoring will help bring the rear around. I think this will help out your decision on whether its worth it. I know AWD holds a better value in the north but not sure about FL. Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FWD Pilot will have a tendency to push into the corner, AWD will have more rotation as the torque vectoring will help bring the rear around. I think this will help out your decision on whether its worth it. I know AWD holds a better value in the north but not sure about FL. Good Luck!
Thanks. And thanks! :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Its the same. I also have a pilot with it. You can see the active torque vectoring on the gauge cluster while its working on the passport.
I leave the ATV view on my information panel when I'm driving. It's fascinating to see how the system delivers the power to the wheels it determines requires it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Me too! And I am amazed at how the AWD power is distributed...
Same here. I find it very interesting to see how power is distributed to the individual wheels even on dry pavement. Very noticeable watching the torque vectoring screen while manuvering through a corner. I realized I had to turn off that screen as not to watch it more than watching the road. I won't be doing any off roading with my Passport and likely never use the "sand" or "mud" modes, but still, I wouldn't be without AWD if it's a choice.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Same here. I find it very interesting to see how power is distributed to the individual wheels even on dry pavement. Very noticeable watching the torque vectoring screen while manuvering through a corner. I realized I had to turn off that screen as not to watch it more than watching the road. I won't be doing any off roading with my Passport and likely never use the "sand" or "mud" modes, but still, I wouldn't be without AWD if it's a choice.
Good point. It is distracting but fascinating to watch and I have to remind myself to drive and watch the road!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts