Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in NH and it is time to consider whether or not I should get winter tires. My previous cars were a 2007 Honda Pilot 4WD and before that a 2000 Toyota Sienna AWD. Both vehicles did great in snow and it was not needed for me to get a different set of tires for winter. Where I live is hilly so I will need the traction in the winter weather. With that said, I am a good driver in snow and ice, knowing how to handle the vehicle to prevent going off the road or the other lane of traffic.

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
644 Posts
We had lived in New England and our last winter was in 2014-2015 when it was the worst. If all-season tires have been sufficient for you in the past, it may be sufficient for you with the Passport and needs? However, all-season tires are no substitute for winter tires. Traction for stopping is as critical and forward motion. I had a set of winter tires on a couple of previous FWD Accord and they handled great in the snow and slush. Icy roads is a challenge even for winter tires. As you already know, it is best to wait for the roads to be plowed or treated when it gets really bad.

Another story to relay... Our son was returning to college in Albany following a job interview in CT. The weather had turned bad with icy conditions on I-90. En-route, he reported that there were a number of cars that had gone off the road. He was driving an Accord with winter tires and did arrive at his destination safely... attributed to his safe driving and winter tires.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,114 Posts
Sorry, I'm in Southern California and have no idea what snow tires even are...

Reactions: Werlyb23

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in the Canadian Rockies and we already have over 4" of snow. The factory tires are rated M+S (mud and snow). I haven't had any issues slipping and sliding in the snow or icy roads. I do see the iVTM-4 working on icy patches and while it is just the start of the winter, I haven't felt the Passport slip even once.

Obviously as the temperatures get extreme, the tires won't perform as well as true winter tires, but I think they are very good all-season tires.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm in the Boston area and put winter tires on all 3 of our vehicles. As noted above, it's not so much about getting traction but being able to turn and stop on slippery roads. I picked up a set of used 18" Pilot wheels from my dealer and just ordered a set of Nokian Hakka SUV R3 winter tires.

If you don't want to get winter tires, at least replace the OE Contis with a set of Nokian WR G4 all weather tires.

·
Registered
218 Posts
completely agree! I did buy 4 new Blizzak's for my Elite. It's about turning and stopping. The reassurance factor and being able to relax behind the wheel in the worst of conditions is a huge payback!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd say yes. But then again, I live in Quebec and snow tires are mandatory on December 1st. We're getting our first 2 inches of snow next Monday and I'm eager to try the snow mode on my PP and my new Observe GSI-5 winter rubbers ?

Reactions: Dro1984

·
Registered
218 Posts
I used to think mandatory "Winter Tires" was a bad idea, but when you factor in you will get more life out of your regular tires too, I think it all evens out.
We've already had wet snow here north of Detroit (Michigan) a few morning's ago... hit the ground...melted and refroze as it was only 28 degrees out. Black ice on every bridge and overpass here. I have a feeling it's going to be one of those Winters. (Fall)... LOL.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've lived in Idaho and Montana for 50 years. I have owned around 35 cars, trucks and SUVs during that time. Some have been FWD, RWD, 4WD and AWD. I have never owned a set of winter tires. I have generally lived outside of town and worked a 8 - 5 job. I have never felt the need for winter tires. That's just my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts