Honda Passport Forum banner

Do I wax after sealing?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  carpayments4life 
#1 ·
Looking for advice. I sealed my PP (Meguiar's) just after getting her and as I have never seal a vehicle before I was wondering if I should or even is it necessary to apply a wax every so often? Thanks

#2 ·
First, this is a good primer on the differences between sealant and wax. The major difference is, from the article...

Many car enthusiasts feel that Carnauba wax, like the popular Carnauba by P21S, adds an element of depth and warmth and shine. It looks more natural.​
Paint sealants, on the other hand, tend to offer more brilliance, sparkle and lasting protection.​

Sealants will provide a little longer protection, but should be reapplied regularly as well. If I am planning a long road trip and have the time, I will apply a sealant for the base and then apply a wax after a couple of days (for the sealant to cure). The purpose is to facilitate clean up from bug splatter and minimize etching into the clear coat from the bug's enzymes. The top wax layer acts as a sacrifical layer.

#3 ·
There are 2 very, very good options:
1. Fusso coat soft 99 $26 Fusso Coat Soft 99 will bead water, like crazy, for 9 months in direct sun. The label says it lasts a year. Apply sparingly and the $26 can will last 7-10 years. Con: don't get it on anything plastic.
2. Turtle's Seal and Shine $9 Seal and Shine, beads water for 6 months, in direct sun and can/should be applied to plastic and glass. Wipe on and dry off. Dry a 2nd time to avoid all streaks. Con: One $9 bottle does two SUVs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.