Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellows PP owners and fans. I am a new Canadian owner located on the West coast of Canada. My attempts to find a skid plate for my PP in Canada so far is futile. Then the option is to look south to USA. There area a few options there, at least couple explained in details on this forum. I was quoted anywhere between 79 to 125 USD for delivery and adding this to a package of 2 plates (front being 275, rear 200) that is a good amount of money for 2 pieces of 5052 aluminum sheets 3/16 gauge.
The other option is to try and make one myself. Did anyone attempted that?

Well, I may end up buying what is already on the market but before that I want to explore what else is there for us to take care of our toys :)

Stay safe everyone and happy driving, wherever your PP takes you.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Have you considered going plastic?
Search HDPE in your area and take a look at a sheet of it. It's quite strong and provides great protection.
A lot of hard core crawlers use it with favorable results. There are other plastics out there too.
Much easier to bend, shape and drill access holes in.

Just a thought.
MJ

Reactions: FirePassport

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello fellows PP owners and fans. I am a new Canadian owner located on the West coast of Canada. My attempts to find a skid plate for my PP in Canada so far is futile. Then the option is to look south to USA. There area a few options there, at least couple explained in details on this forum. I was quoted anywhere between 79 to 125 USD for delivery and adding this to a package of 2 plates (front being 275, rear 200) that is a good amount of money for 2 pieces of 5052 aluminum sheets 3/16 gauge.
The other option is to try and make one myself. Did anyone attempted that? If yes, care to share your research information?
I had a few minutes under my car and noticed a few dimensions of interest:
- immediately after the bumper there is clear line of flat plastic held by 4 bolts x 10mm
The lengths of this section is 25.2 inches and it is around 5 inches wide before it starts slopping towards the oil pan.
  • the slope is around 10" long, one may want to make it a bit wider compared to the first section and that slop goes down to about 2" lower than the first section
  • then you have a flat section to cover the engine bay and transmission, roughly 16 inches. (need to measure it again as i did not go deep enough under the car.
That is roughly all about it. Then comes cutting of holes for the bolts, the oil drain plug, the 2 holes for servicing the transmission and a few venting openings and that looks like it is all it is to it.
It got me thinking how hard that could be to do? If one have access to a press to bend the sheet, this is a relatively simple and quick procedure. The cutting of the holes is a bit more involved.

Well, I may end up buying what is already on the market but before that I want to explore what else is there for us to take care of our toys :)

Stay safe everyone and happy driving, wherever your PP takes you.
Have you checked with your local dealer? I work in the parts department at my local dealer in the Toronto area and every trim model of the Passport comes with a skid plate. They go for $55.00 CAD plus tax and hardware.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Have you considered going plastic?
Search HDPE in your area and take a look at a sheet of it. It's quite strong and provides great protection.
A lot of hard core crawlers use it with favorable results. There are other plastics out there too.
Much easier to bend, shape and drill access holes in.

Just a thought.
MJ
With a melting point of 200 degrees F, I'm not sure I would want a sheet of plastic below a hot engine, especially one with a front primary converter at the manifold. Just me maybe.

·
Registered
857 Posts
With a melting point of 200 degrees F, I'm not sure I would want a sheet of plastic below a hot engine, especially one with a front primary converter at the manifold. Just me maybe.
It's used all the time. My Turbo razor has runs at 205 degrees. Except for some scratches, my plastic skids look brand new.
Just throwing out ideas.

Reactions: FirePassport

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have checked a few metal shops for custom made and the prices are way above the USA ready over the shelf units even if you factor in the delivery and custom charges, i keep investigating and will post when I get any news

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Sport
54 Posts
I have checked a few metal shops for custom made and the prices are way above the USA ready over the shelf units even if you factor in the delivery and custom charges, i keep investigating and will post when I get any news
Once we get this year done and after covid is solved the border should open up again. I have a mailing address just over the US Canada border in blaine. Can always ship em there and pick up,install, go find some mud, get dirty then drive home;)🤫

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Once we get this year done and after covid is solved the border should open up again. I have a mailing address just over the US Canada border in blaine. Can always ship em there and pick up,install, go find some mud, get dirty then drive home;)🤫
I got my skid plate custom made on my own design and will have it installed next week by the latest

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Please give specs and price. Are you in BC lower mainland area?

Design looks 👍. Maybe a black colour for stealth missions;)
Specs as per the attached picture. The one additional info is the weight: 10.8kg without the bolts/washers (6 attaching points 4 front and 2 back). I like it shiny :) so no paint plus aluminum is very picky on accepting paint. Lastly u cannot see it under the car unless you bent over to look for it. Not sure yet if this will be a commercially available product. I got stubborn on finding a way to get what I want for my car from Canada 🇨🇦 for once without loosing a kidney or other precious body parts lol so a close person of mine and I spent some fun time on the ground under the car to measure, draw, build a few prototypes and finally decided to get it done for real. If u have a way to source USA plate and pay no shipping or travel expenses then USA plate will likely be cheaper, in my calculations. USA labour is cheaper, i guess, compared to Canada as I have no other explanation for price difference when considering that Canada exports aluminum to USA (pay not much attention to this part of the comment as this is speculation, not a fact).
Still waiting on the rear mounting bolts to arrive (couldn't not find readily available one from any local hardware store despite my efforts). Will report once mounted. The issues i want to verify are: mounting holes precision, service holes (so far looking good but likely will remove the plate at oil changes) and last but not least is the clearance between various car components and the plate, including possible friction/noise generating spots (hate clicking or ratling noise and aluminum tends to do that when weather is colder due to thermal related shrinkage). Vancouver, BC location.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The issues i want to verify are: mounting holes precision, service holes (so far looking good but likely will remove the plate at oil changes) and last but not least is the clearance between various car components and the plate, including possible friction/noise generating spots (hate clicking or ratling noise and aluminum tends to do that when weather is colder due to thermal related shrinkage). Vancouver, BC location.
For oil changes, I've left the skid plate on and made a deflector of thin sheet metal that fits up into the slot and in front of the oil drain. The oil will gush out (horizontally) when the drain bolt is removed. It still makes a small mess, but deflects most of the oil downward. I'll have to make a better deflector. If the access hole on your skid plate is larger, it may be more effective with a deflector. Otherwise, install a quick drain valve as others have done?

Spacers (1/2" nut is an ideal height) with fender washers on the two rear bolts have eliminated the clicking or creaking noises for me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To the BC, 🇨🇦 fellows Passport owners, I may be able to arrange a batch of skid plates produced if there is a sufficient interest (i.e. 5+) For a plate with the thickness of 3/16 aluminum 5052 and the attachment bolts and washers, the price is around CAD 350-375 ( plus tax) range, depends on how many will be needed. If in Vancouver area, i may also deliver it for free, if not in Vancouver, shipping will be extra. Contact me if interested and let see what happens.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
3/16 thickness, yes. Working on the gas tank one to complete the holly trinity of skid plates for the Passport

1 - 20 of 21 Posts