Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spoilers first, here are photos of the completed install for the rear seat-back protectors...

IMG_4116.jpg IMG_4117.jpg IMG_4118.jpg

If you wish to attempt a DIY, the PDF attached below is the installation instructions for the 2019 Passport. It can also be found online from sellers of Honda OEM accessories. No need to repeat the instructions, but below are some tips. It is not difficult.
  • Unpack your order and be sure that you have all necessary parts and hardware for the install. I am missing one part and awaiting the seller to replace it.
  • A work light will be helpful, especially for dark interiors.
  • A roll of wide masking tape will be more efficient.
  • A second drill helps to expedite the install. One for the pilot drill bit and one for the cutter or larger drill bit.
  • Have a vacuum nearby. (addition)
  • Be careful handling the headrests. There is lubricant on the shafts of the headrest.
  • The female snaps attached to the protectors have some adjustment/movement to it. You do not need to be precise, but it helps to center the female snaps before marking the holes for drilling...
    IMG_4106.jpg
  • Take your time with the placement of the protector and marking the holes for the first two snaps. That will dictate location of the other snaps.
  • If you are using a Rotabroach cutter, clean the cutter after cutting through the carpet layer. The carpet and masking tape clogs the cutter. There is metal below the carpet and will require more pressure.
    IMG_4115.jpg
  • Re-tighten all the male snaps on the seat-back prior to completion. They may loosen slightly from the protector being taken on/off.
  • If you are feeling really LUCKY versus being OCD, you can mark and drill a couple of holes at a time versus one at a time per instructions to speed up the installation.
  • As Scooter Dude noted, you may want to add extra Velcro around the edge.
Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks! The is excellent info! I'm looking foward to getting the parts in next week to repeat your install. Looks great.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Got the seat back protectors installed last night. Used regular drill bits (1/8 and 5/16) instead of rotobroach and it worked fine. I stacked up some sockets and used them as drill stop as per @mcrimm. I found a few of the snaps a little tricky to get snapped, but eventually got them all on. One thing to note is that if the snap is not snapping, be careful and don't just try to add more pressure - this can actually deform the soft plastic of the male snap piece, making it even harder to eventually get it snapped. Will be adding velcro as per @Scooter Dude, for aesthetics, and just because the snaps weren't quite as "snappy" as I thought they would be.

I also noticed that on the right side passenger seat back, with the protector aligned as per instructions, it catches at the bottom when folding the seat back up, which is kind of annoying, you have to hold it down to get the seat up smoothly. I could've positioned it higher to avoid this, but it does seem perfectly aligned as per instructions. Minor issue though.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I also noticed that on the right side passenger seat back, with the protector aligned as per instructions, it catches at the bottom when folding the seat back up, which is kind of annoying, you have to hold it down to get the seat up smoothly. I could've positioned it higher to avoid this, but it does seem perfectly aligned as per instructions. Minor issue though.
Mine is the same.....bump up the back seat a notch to eliminate this problem.

Reactions: ksulliva01

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport EX-L
1 Posts
Does the larger hole need to be the same depth as the pilot hole? I want to be sure not to drill too deep.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the larger hole need to be the same depth as the pilot hole? I want to be sure not to drill too deep.
Yes, it is the same depth. You will be drilling through a layer of carpet and sheet metal. It is hollow behind the sheet metal. Push through slowly and you will know once you have drilled through the sheet metal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts