Honda Passport Forum banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
826 Posts
Don't do it Drummer. Even if they were included free I would never allow a dealer to change my oil. WAY Too many incidents of dealers and service stations doing the dreaded dry start. They drain your oil , replace your filter and then simply forget to add oil. Then they start the thing up and when they hear the valve's clicking they shut her down and add the oil. Keep in mind that they normally give oil changes to the youngest and most junior mechanics who are spending their work shifts dwelling on the problems they're having with their 20-something girlfriends and defaulted truck payments. Your passport then becomes a ticking time bomb. Happened to me with a new Tundra. Never again. Oil is the life blood of your Passport. If you allow someone else to change it, you are a BAD passport owner.
I agree with you!! Not only do you get a low end mechanic, you also have to deal with the upselling by the service advisor. I’ve had all kinds of problems with my local Honda dealers over the years. TWICE, they left tools on top of my engine cover and closed the hood. Got a few dents from those stupid moves. Also got random dents on my cars after servicing. Grease marks on my upholstery and carpet. Dashboard scratches. Countless missing push pins and clips. Had a radiator replaced and they forgot to put the lower shroud back on. Complete morons! That’s why I started doing my own maintenance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Folks - My Honda PP has run in 1350 miles. It is a 2019 Elite. The oil maintenance screen shows 70%, but it also shows the code 'A'. Does this mean I have to change the oil? I took delivery end of Nov 2019.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had the same kinds of concerns and started a thread about it. You may want to read through this:

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,163 Posts
Perhaps this will be in line with the original posters intent:

an oil change IS a simple, beginners mechanic skill. I trust the dealer will make any mistakes right.
Plus for $50 I no longer wish to get on my back and get dirty; I'll sit inside and enjoy their complementary snacks / beverages.
Then I'll smile at their free car wash.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did my first oil change at 3,500 miles after 1yr 3 mos. of ownership. You definitely need a good filter wrench to get it off. I removed 3 plastic pins for the thin plastic shield near the filter for more room access without removing it completely. I used an old filter wrench which worked but a newer fitted one will be better. I made a filter oil trap out of a litre bottle. Cut it to shape and it worked just fine. Not a single drop spilled. I even enjoyed the soda beforehand. I also made a funnel extension since the oil port is low in the engine for easier filling. Syn. Oil was $15, Filter $10, Soda .99 cents. Clear Hose $1.25. Not bad for the first oil change.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Reactions: Moab Junky

·
Registered
14 Posts
Collating information for those interested in a DIY engine oil and engine oil filter change on the 2019 Passport. It will be a while before I'm ready for service.

See PDF attachment below for the two page excerpt from the 2019 Passport Owner's Manual. This is different from the 2019 Passport Owner's Guide.

Other pertinent information as follows:
  • Supplies...
    • Engine Oil Filter Element: 15400-PLM-A02 or equivalent (same as most other Honda vehicles)
    • Engine Oil Drain Plug Washer (20mm): 94109-20000 or equivalent (same as most other Honda vehicles)
    • Engine Oil: 6 quarts of 0W-20 (recommended)
  • Tools...
    • oil filter wrench (such as, 3/8" ratchet & engine oil filter wrench 07AAA-PLCA100 )
    • 17mm socket & 1/2" ratchet for drain plug removal/install
    • torque wrench, as needed
  • Engine Oil Filter Torque: 12Nm / 8.7ft-lb (from an Accord factory service manual, see below)
  • Engine Oil Drain Plug Torque: 39Nm / 29ft-lb (from User's Manual)
  • Engine Oil Change Capacity: 5.7 US qt oil (from User's Manual)
Source for engine oil filter torque spec:

The Owner's Manual is not clear on the location of the Engine Drain Plug. It is located on the right side and pointing towards the rear of the vehicle. The photo is taken from behind the front-right wheel and perhaps the best access.
The engine oil filter (blue canister) is located inboard of the front-right wheel (first photo). It is visible through the wheel spokes with a light. It is accessible from behind the front-right wheel. Alternative is to remove the wheel for unobstructed access. There is a frame member below the engine oil filter, so a deflector or cardboard may help to prevent oil from dripping on the frame member and creating a mess.
Reset of Maintenance Minder.

View attachment 2795

Please advise if there are any corrections required. Happy wrenching!
20mm washer ?

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
20mm washer ?
No, I had it wrong in the original post. I just updated the information (previously, I was not able to edit). The correct washer information is here.

The correct part number is 94109-14000 (14mm). I will correct the posting, if possible. It is the same size washer for all current generations of Honda vehicles. One size fits all. :) You can buy it by the boat load on Amazon. Approximate dimensions per Q&A:​

• 14.32mm, 0.564" I.D ... I verified this dimension.
  • 21.76mm, 08565" O.D.

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you are into DIY oil changes then I would suggest the following to make it easier and less messy.
1. Set of ramps. Makes it easier to get under the vehicle and will allow a bit more of the old oil to drain out.
2. A Fumoto oil drain valve. Install once and done. A vinyl hose for the valve makes it simple to drain the old oil into an empty jug.

3. A box of 1 gallon Ziploc type bags. Loosen the oil filter wrap an bag around it, remove the filter and zip it up in the bag, Again no mess.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So did my first oil change yesterday. Pretty straight-forward so won't go into detail here. However, I did have a question. I purchased my 2019 Passport Elite back in February 2020. Car had 10 miles on it and I've only put on 1400 miles since purchasing the car. Upon checking the oil life indicator, the car only showed 30% life. Is this normal after so few miles?

·
Registered
729 Posts
So did my first oil change yesterday. Pretty straight-forward so won't go into detail here. However, I did have a question. I purchased my 2019 Passport Elite back in February 2020. Car had 10 miles on it and I've only put on 1400 miles since purchasing the car. Upon checking the oil life indicator, the car only showed 30% life. Is this normal after so few miles?
Yes, the additives in engine oil will degrade from use but they will also degrade with time. I bought mine on Feb 1, 2020 and it is also down to 30% oil life with 3500 miles on it. Oil should be changed every 12 months regardless of mileage. It is also part of the algorithm Honda uses for the MM for oil life.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Looks pretty nice. If I didn't already have a Fomoto on mine, I'd give that one a try.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Rediscovered this neat website for comparing oil filters - I found an old unboxed Purolator PL14612 and could've sworn I remember it fitting on an old motorcycle when I was looking for filters that would have a lower profile, and it did the trick. Given that I change the filter at every oil change, the reduction in filter height should make removal/install of them much easier, and I'm also going to be looking into a filtermag, given that I'll be replacing the drain plug with a Fumoto.

·
Registered
883 Posts
2. A Fumoto oil drain valve. Install once and done. A vinyl hose for the valve makes it simple to drain the old oil into an empty jug.
View attachment 7983

I never trusted a valve in place of a plug. Perhaps I will thanks to your belief in them.
I know lots of diesel truck guys are using the Fumoto valves.

I always drain my oil first, then barely loosen the filter, then I take a steel punch and punch a hole into the bottom of the oil filter and let that drain out. Put a rag over it and spin it off. No mess.

Reactions: linkdude64

·
Registered
64 Posts
I never trusted a valve in place of a plug. Perhaps I will thanks to your belief in them.
I know lots of diesel truck guys are using the Fumoto valves.
Remember that there are no rules, too. If you don't trust the extra weight/ size of the valve not to back itself off, you can use a touch of loctite at the top of the threads (see how far it threads in, mark it, then just apply to the last thread or two so contamination isn't a worry) or safety wire the valve around something nearby (haven't changed PP oil yet so I'm not sure what's down there, but there must be something). Worried about the lever for the ball valve coming undone? You can safety wire/metal zip- tie that in place between changes, too. 😎 I haven't used them before because I wasnt changing my own oil on my 4 Wheelers and never minded the small amount of oil in a motorcycle, but like you have friends with them, and never heard of big failures, but will I check my rear view mirror to see if I'm dropping a stream of oil behind me after a change? Sure! Lol

·
Registered
107 Posts

Rediscovered this neat website for comparing oil filters - I found an old unboxed Purolator PL14612 and could've sworn I remember it fitting on an old motorcycle when I was looking for filters that would have a lower profile, and it did the trick. Given that I change the filter at every oil change, the reduction in filter height should make removal/install of them much easier, and I'm also going to be looking into a filtermag, given that I'll be replacing the drain plug with a Fumoto.
I'd use that on my ST1300. Or maybe it was a 14610...

Mike D.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Remember that there are no rules, too. If you don't trust the extra weight/ size of the valve not to back itself off, you can use a touch of loctite at the top of the threads (see how far it threads in, mark it, then just apply to the last thread or two so contamination isn't a worry) or safety wire the valve around something nearby (haven't changed PP oil yet so I'm not sure what's down there, but there must be something). Worried about the lever for the ball valve coming undone? You can safety wire/metal zip- tie that in place between changes, too. 😎 I haven't used them before because I wasnt changing my own oil on my 4 Wheelers and never minded the small amount of oil in a motorcycle, but like you have friends with them, and never heard of big failures, but will I check my rear view mirror to see if I'm dropping a stream of oil behind me after a change? Sure! Lol
Haha, Good points. From what I've read, the Fumoto valve is a quality valve. I'm certainly not hating on the valve itself or on any who choose to use it.

My main concern is replacing a one piece, fail proof plug, with a valve constructed of several pieces.

On most of my vehicles, the drain plug is on the bottom of the oil pan. Adding a valve there would be susceptible to striking the ground, brush or other objects while off road. No way.

Some skid plates would have to be modified.

It makes more sense to install it on a drain hole that is on the side of the pan, like the PP.
All that being said, removing the plug has never bothered me. If I drop it in the catch pan, I simply fish it out with a magnet.

Good idea safety wiring the handle.

Reactions: linkdude64
41 - 60 of 81 Posts