Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just did my first oil change at 5000 miles and Main. Minder at 30%. Getting to filter was the worst part and what a mess. I'm ordering the deflector and hope it helps on the next change. I was surprised that I couldn't use a socket wrench with the filter socket (no space). Thankfully I was able to use open end wrench with it. I usually hand tighten my filters and there's no way your going to get a torque wrench in there.
I just hit 5000 miles myself and I'm 40%. You're not giving me much to look forward to. ;) I have a plier-type wrench that I used on my Accord when I removed the filter. Do you think that'll do the trick or will I need something else when the time comes?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think that will work, but it is a tight squeeze. I used the filter tool sold by Honda which you can put a 17mm open end wrench on. Probably a good idea to use a qt ziplock bag after you loosen it a bit to help collect the oil that runs down. As mentioned earlier in the discussion. Unfortunately I didn't read about that till after I was finished (making a mess).?

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I just hit 5000 miles myself and I'm 40%. You're not giving me much to look forward to. ;) I have a plier-type wrench that I used on my Accord when I removed the filter. Do you think that'll do the trick or will I need something else when the time comes?
Clearance around the oil filter is tight. You will have to give your plier-type wrench a try ahead of time. The Honda filter cap-type wrench (also on Amazon) is a thicker gauge metal than aftermarket brands (local auto parts store), with a nut on the end to receive a box/open-end wrench or a 3/8" ratchet. The Honda cap-type wrench and oil filter are the same for all their models of the last 15+ years. Good investment if you own multiple Honda vehicles or hold on to them for awhile. If the oil filter has been over-tightened, the cap-type wrench may slip when loosening. I wedge a piece of paper towel to tighten the clearance if that is the case.

Soon to do my 3rd oil change after another long road trip.

IMG_5096.JPG

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think that will work, but it is a tight squeeze. I used the filter tool sold by Honda which you can put a 17mm open end wrench on. Probably a good idea to use a qt ziplock bag after you loosen it a bit to help collect the oil that runs down. As mentioned earlier in the discussion. Unfortunately I didn't read about that till after I was finished (making a mess).?
Thanks for the tip about the ziplock bag. I may not need one though because a while back I bought the deflector that DudeCS recommended earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Clearance around the oil filter is tight. You will have to give your plier-type wrench a try ahead of time. The Honda filter cap-type wrench (also on Amazon) is a thicker gauge metal than aftermarket brands (local auto parts store), with a nut on the end to receive a box/open-end wrench or a 3/8" ratchet. The Honda cap-type wrench and oil filter are the same for all their models of the last 15+ years. Good investment if you own multiple Honda vehicles or hold on to them for awhile. If the oil filter has been over-tightened, the cap-type wrench may slip when loosening. I wedge a piece of paper towel to tighten the clearance if that is the case.

Soon to do my 3rd oil change after another long road trip.

View attachment 4533
I'm going to follow your tip and get under the car with the plier wrench before I actually have to do the oil change just to see if I'll need to order a cap type wrench beforehand. Thanks for the link, I look for it on Amazon if it turns out that I need one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
For a good oil filter wrench. Both of these work very good.

My every day tool:

or
FRAM FG101 ( tuff to find )

The one's that fit ratchets I find are more trouble to use. Not much room on the Pilot and Ridgeline to work with beneath the filter.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
826 Posts
We just got our passport a couple of weeks ago and I'm already looking into getting this. So the F106SX will fit it? I see it also fits the 2016 Pilot.
I’ve installed Fumoto valves on my Yamaha generator and my snowblower. Work great!!! It was a necessity with the generator due to the design of the enclosure. Makes oil draining so much easier and cleaner!! Will install one when I get my new Passport later this year.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Something recently discussed in great detail on the Ridgeline forum was that it may be best to leave the Maintenance Minder Reset until 15% or less is shown. Why? If you clear the MM before 15% (as in DIY rotation, fluids, etc), the sub-codes that are "about to come up" will not be shown. At times we do early fluids/brakes/tires on our various Hondas and keep an online Google Sheets log (shared among collaborators) with the details (also handy to print out when selling cars or even at trade-in).

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Something recently discussed in great detail on the Ridgeline forum was that it may be best to leave the Maintenance Minder Reset until 15% or less is shown. Why? If you clear the MM before 15% (as in DIY rotation, fluids, etc), the sub-codes that are "about to come up" will not be shown. At times we do early fluids/brakes/tires on our various Hondas and keep an online Google Sheets log (shared among collaborators) with the details (also handy to print out when selling cars or even at trade-in).
That is incorrect speculation regarding the sub-codes. I had to change my oil ("A" maintenance code) early at 5K miles for a long trip. I was still notified for differential fluid change ("6" maintenance sub-code) when nearing 15K miles. Each maintenance code or sub-code is reset independently.

Perhaps it would be more correct to say that if "B" maintenance code is to be reset, all the service items for it should be completed? Same applies for other maintenance code or sub-codes.

PP Service.jpg

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thank you for all of the info. My PP came with the first three changes supplied by the dealer. After that, I will be doing it just like I have on all of our vehicles for the last 25 years. I have to say, it looks a great deal better than changing the oil in a 2002 CRV. Man, reaching up behind the engine block and hoping that it wasn't put on too tightly cause getting a wrench up there SUCKED and then the oil going all over the frame etc. below. Not pretty. That said, I look forward to getting my Amsoil into the PP - I always find a superior performance with that stuff.

Hey Hondo - we also use Google Sheets shared among the family.

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thank you for all of the info. My PP came with the first three changes supplied by the dealer. After that, I will be doing it just like I have on all of our vehicles for the last 25 years. I have to say, it looks a great deal better than changing the oil in a 2002 CRV. Man, reaching up behind the engine block and hoping that it wasn't put on too tightly cause getting a wrench up there SUCKED and then the oil going all over the frame etc. below. Not pretty. That said, I look forward to getting my Amsoil into the PP - I always find a superior performance with that stuff.
Access for the oil filter is restricted and it is not possible to use a torque wrench with a cap-type filter wrench. I had over-tightened the filter on a previous oil change and the cap-type wrench slipped when loosening for a subsequent oil change. Required some brute force to remove the filter. I will be purchasing a pair of "oil filter pliers" that can handle 2-1/2" diameter for removal only, as needed.

The deflector (P/N VSB02C000049 "RED") eliminates the mess when removing the oil filter.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I've always done my own oil changes and I'm not about to stop now that I have a Passport. There are just too many things that can be done wrong by people who don't care as much as I do about my vehicle.

I'm still at 60% oil life but when I do my first oil change I'll be installing one of these in place of the drain plug to make things easier for next time.

I love Fumoto drain valves! Makes life so much easier on all different types of vehicles and equipment. Worth the money!!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Changed my engine oil and filter today in preparation for a long road trip. Found that you need a long neck funnel to facilitate oil refill with a 5 quart jug. Fortunately, I had one... an 18" (see photo). A 12" funnel may be the minimum that works.

View attachment 3597
What’s the OD of the end of the funnel that goes into the filler tube?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I just hit the 6300 mile mark and my MM came on to let me know that I have 15% oil life left. I'll be installing the Fumoto valve on my PP that I removed from my Accord when I sold it. This oil change will be a little messy but all the rest will be a breeze after this!

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
What’s the OD of the end of the funnel that goes into the filler tube?
The funnel in the photo was a long one that I already had with an narrow OD. You can easily use a funnel with an OD that is 1" to 2" for the oil filler, just like other cars. The point is that it is best to have a longer funnel.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just completed my first oil change and installed the Fumoto valve that I had used on my Accord when I owned it. I wanna give a shout out to @DudeCS for telling us about the oil deflector he found for the PP in post #14. It made things much less messy when loosening and removing the oil filter. (y)

·
Registered
30 Posts

Hey Hondo - we also use Google Sheets shared among the family.
Don't do it Drummer. Even if they were included free I would never allow a dealer to change my oil. WAY Too many incidents of dealers and service stations doing the dreaded dry start. They drain your oil , replace your filter and then simply forget to add oil. Then they start the thing up and when they hear the valve's clicking they shut her down and add the oil. Keep in mind that they normally give oil changes to the youngest and most junior mechanics who are spending their work shifts dwelling on the problems they're having with their 20-something girlfriends and defaulted truck payments. Your passport then becomes a ticking time bomb. Happened to me with a new Tundra. Never again. Oil is the life blood of your Passport. If you allow someone else to change it, you are a BAD passport owner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did my first oil change and as above didn't read the suggestion for the bag over the filter... wish I had. That said, when I drained the old oil I got less than 5 quarts out and filled it with just a little over 5 quarts. Has everyone been getting close to the 5.7 quarts out when changing? I lost a little with the filter but not that much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did my first oil change and as above didn't read the suggestion for the bag over the filter... wish I had. That said, when I drained the old oil I got less than 5 quarts out and filled it with just a little over 5 quarts. Has everyone been getting close to the 5.7 quarts out when changing? I lost a little with the filter but not that much.
I just did my first oil change and had less than 5 quarts also. I didn't spill any either. I put in 5.7 quarts. No issues.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts