Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Black aluminum OEM Honda running boards, $340 on eBay shipped to my door. Install was very easy, didn’t even have to jack up the vehicle. Less than an hour, very pleased.

Body side moldings purchased from Bernardi, $170 shipped to my door. Install was simple using the templates included. About 30 mins to install, tops.

Moonroof visor purchased on eBay from Hendrick Honda, $129 shipped to my door. I purchased 0R01-TLA-100, advertised for CRV. The one for the Passport and Pilot, I thought was too noisy when installed on the Pilot I traded. The CRV model is what I have on my 2010 Ridgeline, it’s very quiet.

Anyway, I hate installing moonroof visors, difficult angles, poor sight lines, hate it. Got it installed in about 45 annoying minutes. Works as expected, pleased.

So, these accessories list at $830, Bernardi would have been $695 shipped, I paid $640 using eBay and Bernardi.

Probably saved $400 on labor by installing myself, at least that’s what I told the wife.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
did you grind away any of the undercoating they suggest removing in the install of the running board mounts? I'm still on the fence about the side moldings for my passport.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to cut away a small piece of undercoating using my utility knife. Only had to do that on one of the four brackets. Very simple and fast.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I was able to cut away a small piece of undercoating using my utility knife. Only had to do that on one of the four brackets. Very simple and fast.
Can you explain this process a bit more please?

Looking at the instructions I'm a bit confused on what exactly needs to be done.

I was at the dealership today asking about them; they quoted me $980 before tax for the die-cast running boards installed. When I asked about needing touch up paint they said it probably wasn't necessary. *shrug*

If I purchase and install myself I'm looking at least $300 saved. (y)

Reactions: Beachbum07

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Can you explain this process a bit more please?

Looking at the instructions I'm a bit confused on what exactly needs to be done.

I was at the dealership today asking about them; they quoted me $980 before tax for the die-cast running boards installed. When I asked about needing touch up paint they said it probably wasn't necessary. *shrug*

If I purchase and install myself I'm looking at least $300 saved. (y)
Sure. When installing the 4 brackets, 2 on each side, that the running boards attach to, I found one of the eight, pre drilled, pre threaded bolt holes to be partially covered with undercoating sprayed on at the factory. In order to properly install the mounting bracket, the undercoating around the bolt hole needed to be removed. The undercoating is a rubbery type material and I was able to use my utility knife and easily cut and remove the undercoating material clearing the way for proper install of the bracket. It was easy, any sharp knife would cut thru that material.

The brackets mount to the underside of the vehicle, no touch up paint required.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks!

(y)

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
Great News, I'm going to be getting the Die Cast RB's and installing them myself...

I guess I will look for the mounting spots ahead of time, just to see what I'll be up against...

·
Registered
467 Posts
When I asked about needing touch up paint they said it probably wasn't necessary.
I have not installed the running board, but looked at the instructions and mounting locations on the vehicle. Since the mounting locations for the bolts are not visible, you can buy any touch-up paint or primer at the local auto parts store. Basically, you will want to cover up any bare metal to prevent rust.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Black aluminum OEM Honda running boards, $340 on eBay shipped to my door. Install was very easy, didn’t even have to jack up the vehicle. Less than an hour, very pleased.

Body side moldings purchased from Bernardi, $170 shipped to my door. Install was simple using the templates included. About 30 mins to install, tops.

Moonroof visor purchased on eBay from Hendrick Honda, $129 shipped to my door. I purchased 0R01-TLA-100, advertised for CRV. The one for the Passport and Pilot, I thought was too noisy when installed on the Pilot I traded. The CRV model is what I have on my 2010 Ridgeline, it’s very quiet.

Anyway, I hate installing moonroof visors, difficult angles, poor sight lines, hate it. Got it installed in about 45 annoying minutes. Works as expected, pleased.

So, these accessories list at $830, Bernardi would have been $695 shipped, I paid $640 using eBay and Bernardi.

Probably saved $400 on labor by installing myself, at least that’s what I told the wife.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Looks very nice!
Do you think the side moldings are going to help? I have been considering them but I feel like they might be too low. Hope I'm wrong

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Want all the protection I can get

·
Registered
64 Posts
@CGM66047 does the molding fit flush or stay a bit far because of 3m? All mine have a little bit gap because of 3m tape. Was thinking it’s normal hbu

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
Looks like Barbwire has not posted in in 5 months, just sayin'...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts