Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the coronavirus outbreak, I've been reading that it's probably a good idea to be disinfecting car door handles, seat belt latches and the steering wheel when we return to our vehicles after visiting an establishment.

My question is; how would you go about disinfecting a leather wrapped steering wheel without damaging the leather?

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Good question, I have a Leather Steering wheel cover and they explicitly warn about touching it with (alcohol based) hand sanitizer, so need to be REAL careful on what you put on leather....

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an ozone generator I use for cleaning my CPAP machine … I think it cost like $90 --- "prime clean" or something like that. I've thought about running that in my cars, but I think ozone damages natural rubbers though … who knows!

·
Super Moderator
1,052 Posts
a bucket of hot soapy water (I use dawn) and a washcloth for the interior and you should be able to wipe door handles with a Clorox wipe, being cautious of the leather.

Leave your car parked in the sun for as long as you can.

or if you are like me and out of work for months...don’t drive and you haven’t gotten any germs in your car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought I might order one of these as a temporary fix. It's made out of "synthetic leather" (or plastic) because I can wipe it down with alcohol without damaging the leather underneath.

·
Banned
2020 Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steele
358 Posts
Am I the only one that finds the video a bit ironic. All the cleaners are bad for you, so use something that you have to use in an unoccupied space or it will kill you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
As opposed to disinfecting the interior and door handles, I would not allow it there in the first place. If you can find it, hand sanitizer before getting in the vehicle. Use shirt to grip outside handle to get in etc...If I used something on leather, I’d let it dry, and then liberally apply a conditioner to it. Dry conditions are the absolute enemy of leather.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As opposed to disinfecting the interior and door handles, I would not allow it there in the first place. If you can find it, hand sanitizer before getting in the vehicle. Use shirt to grip outside handle to get in etc...If I used something on leather, I’d let it dry, and then liberally apply a conditioner to it. Dry conditions are the absolute enemy of leather.
I have a box of disposable rubber gloves from when I apply a finish to my woodturning projects. When I need to visit a store, I put on a pair of them when I exit the car and before I get back inside I throw them in their outside trash can and my PP stays virus free. 🤞

·
Registered
66 Posts
King germophone here (ppl tell me I'm related to Mandell) and I've never had an issue with cleaning my leather steering wheel,dash,seat's or any other plastics in any of my vehicles with hand sanitizer or Lysol wipes ( I always have both on me!) Wipe away! These days its been only me and my family in our vehicles, I need an oil change soon and i'll be doing it myself, something I normally don't do anymore! I also haven't touched a gas pump bare hands in close to 30yrs, I always have gloves on when I put gas.

Funny thing before all this started I always sanitized shopping cart's and other thing's in public place's and people would look at me strange, now everybody's doing it. :ROFLMAO:
I think after all this blow's over, people's attitude will change with the way they live.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts