Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm glad you asked. We have decided to do this after having several customers back out of purchase agreements over the last two months. I mean I literally would have sold twice as many vehicles if the customers actually followed through as expected. If we have to pull a vehicle off the market only to have the intended purchaser back out that can cause issues with other customers who are serious about following through with the purchase as well as compel customers to shop elsewhere in the event that they know that they cannot purchase a desired vehicle from us. Frankly with the vehicle shortage we are viewing any money down as earnest money placed in good faith, if a customer does not want to honor their contract in good faith than they will lose their earnest money. Same rules apply in other businesses such as real estate.
I'd be ok with that for like $100. Let me ask you this. Most Ridgelines that are being delivered or built are already sold sometimes quite a while ago. Would you still honor those prices that were already negotiated if lower than MSRP or would you bump the person from the queue and furnish a Ridgeline at a later date when prices settle down.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'd be ok with that for like $100. Let me ask you this. Most Ridgelines that are being delivered or built are already sold sometimes quite a while ago. Would you still honor those prices that were already negotiated if lower than MSRP or would you bump the person from the queue and furnish a Ridgeline at a later date when prices settle down.
If there is no exchange of "ink" there is no holding your place/car.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm assuming a non refundable deposit was made. Can't have you cake and eat it too. Actually I guess u can. That's why I don't bother with more than $100 if there isn't product on the lot.

·
Daimyo
2021 Honda Passport Elite - Tonbo-Giri⛩️
122 Posts
I'm assuming a non refundable deposit was made. Can't have you cake and eat it too. Actually I guess u can. That's why I don't bother with more than $100 if there isn't product on the lot.
In Wisconsin where I work customers legally contract a vehicle purchase with a deposit so technically they are consenting to have their feet held to the fire if a dealership so chooses. Perhaps you all would give my dealership some good guy points for not doing this in previous times but it has become so problematic that it has effectively sabotaged our business in many ways.

All we're really looking for is a commitment to purchase and subsequent follow through, I have not found it necessary to do this in the past but honestly I feel like it truly has become necessary to not only tell customers but be emphatic about the whole non-refundable part of the deposit. Since we started doing this during this month I have not had any issues, in fact it really firms up the customers commitment and I daresay gets them excited that the vehicle they are purchasing truly is and will be theirs. The first person I did this with was with the guy that bought the Ridgeline Black Edition and I've never seen a Honda customer so happy to simply be getting the vehicle he wants. When I worked for Subaru in Indianapolis I had a guy slip me two $100 bills going out the door in gratitude for my efforts to get him the Subaru Outback he wanted. I'm just here trying to make peoples dreams come true 😃

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Couple weeks ago I asked to put a deposit on a passport and my local dealer said they can't even do that. It was still there when I was ready to buy it. Just thought it was odd

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Kids are back from college and working jobs in which they need cars. The bride has been using my Passport for work so I've been without a car. Decided to get a fourth car last week. I always give my local Honda dealer the first shot but since 2008 I've purchased 7 and they only landed 3. I really didn't want a CRV because of the 1.5t but there are zero RAV4's gas or hybrid around unless you want the stripped LE model. My local dealer has 37 CRV EX-l's on the lot. I make the internet request and get the saleswoman I purchased the Passport from last year. I cut through the chase and make a lowball offer just to see how much movement they had on price. She gives me the whole lecture about the chip shortage and she is doing me a favor by giving me a $300 discount....blah blah blah. Meanwhile I'm thinking to myself yeah there is a chip shortage which effects supply but last year was one of the most profitable ever for dealers with profit per unit going from $1,500 to $3,000. I put numerous online bids for RAV4 hybrids only to be emailed back that they were sold so "do you want to place an order?" Sensing the pattern I started driving to dealerships and checking inventory and there are maybe 1 or 2 gas models at dealerships. Ironically, at some dealerships they may have 2 or 3 RAV4 Primes which at sticker are a good deal when you factor in the tax credit. At that point I just assume just deal with being car less for the summer. Then my daughter was out with a friend and she says 2 rows of RAV4's fresh off the truck at a dealership 25 miles away. I had put in a request to them too a few days earlier. You would think they would reach out to me since they had all my info in their database. Nothing so I emailed and they did have one available that had the option packages that would come close to matching those that the wife currently has on her 15 CRV Touring, just no leather ( I use seat covers so no issue), homelink and navigation. Picked it up Thursday and this is our first Toyota ever. So far I'm thinking and hoping that this RAV4 may be a dependable workhorse that could last a long time. When picking up the car, F&I guy got annoyed that I didn't purchase anything additional but since I paid sticker didn't want to ownership cost to get out of hand on a RAV4. Then he asks me for $6 because they underestimated the registration fee. I get it but really, you can't eat $6. :unsure: I was tempted to get another Passport since there is money on the hood but the bride said there was no need to have 2 big vehicles and the PP is a guzzler so glad they way it turned out. I'm probably done with Honda now because as they move away from gas only engines by 2030 I'd only go with Toyota for a Hybrid since they have been doing them the best the longest.
My brother is looking for a new truck and he mentioned that the only thing available was 2WD extra cabs, not to mention they added $4500 to the MSRP because of the low inventory

·
Daimyo
122 Posts
My brother is looking for a new truck and he mentioned that the only thing available was 2WD extra cabs, not to mention they added $4500 to the MSRP because of the low inventory
I saw that one dealership was marking up Cadillac Escalades as much as $25,000 over MSRP. I would consider buying at MSRP to be a deal to be had under the current market conditions.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I saw that one dealership was marking up Cadillac Escalades as much as $25,000 over MSRP. I would consider buying at MSRP to be a deal to be had under the current market conditions.
insane, so what’s that put the price at $105,000 plus tax/lic.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,043 Posts
No offense, but I was expecting more fun stories, like the local Dodge dealer than also serviced Motor Homes, that had the mechanics "test drive" a customers motor on a weekend camping trip or the mechanics that did who-knows-what in customers motorhomes with the hookers that showed up on Fridays (payday)...lol

·
Daimyo
122 Posts
No offense, but I was expecting more fun stories, like the local Dodge dealer than also serviced Motor Homes, that had the mechanics "test drive" a customers motor on a weekend camping trip or the mechanics that did who-knows-what in customers motorhomes with the hookers that showed up on Fridays (payday)...lol
Nope, my aforementioned "Tales from the Dealership" thread at Outback.org was mainly me and a few other people working inside the car business sharing stories about crazy customers and difficult circumstances we had to work with. From the customer side it was pretty much people talking about their distrust of the business and people within it.

On one hand I would share something that everyone would agree that a customer was giving me a hard time, being unreasonable, untruthful, etc but on the other hand that customer would likely say that somehow, someway we in the business were trying to screw them over in some dealership driven conspiracy.

One guy, who was truly a piece of work, bought a new Pilot from me recently when Honda had their $1000 customer cash offer. This person was one who legitimately believed that he was smarter and knew better than everyone else but frankly could not even do simple math. I am not meaning to gossip and demean this person but he had convinced himself that the $1000 customer cash offer was something in which WE at the dealership stole $1000 from him and he spent at least the following two weeks after purchasing the vehicle trying to convince us that we had stolen $1000 from him. I went over the breakdown of numbers with him, my finance manager who did his paperwork did the same multiple times, and our accounting department even double checked everything and it was abundantly clear to everyone other than the customer that $1000 was deducted from the price of the vehicle sold and not from Mr. Customer's monetary holdings.

Still though that wasn't enough, Mr. Customer still to this day is convinced that we pulled one over on him and that we owe him $1000 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Not sure how someone steeling your motorhome for the weekend camping trip is considered “fun”.

A friend of mine dropped his car off for some maintenance work, the dealer told him it would not be ready til Monday. Well Monday came around and he noticed the car had over 600 miles logged on the odometer, not fun in my eyes, I’m sure they babied it though

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,043 Posts
Not sure how someone steeling your motorhome for the weekend camping trip is considered “fun”.
That's because you are only thinking of yourself, the guys who borrowed it had "fun"...

(I was not not involved in any way or know who anyone involved - it was just a story, don't shoot the story teller...)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a Passport, which is the sixth new car I've bought in the last twenty-five years. Unfortunately, it was your typical dealership experience. My salesman, a young and green patsy, was basically just a glorified messenger between me and the sales manager. It was like playing a bad game of telephone and made nailing down the particulars of the deal almost frustrating enough to walk away from it. Then the scummiest finance guy that I've ever encountered invited me into his office. After wasting a half hour of my time trying to sell me stuff I didn't want, I said "You're spiel is taking too long. I have an appointment in a half hour". He acted personally offended that I referred to his sales pitch as a "spiel" and it took him a little while to recover from his fake outrage. If I was younger, I would have stood up and walked out of the dealership at that point in time. Now that I'm older and wiser, I know that this is just how 90% of dealerships operate and I probably won't get better treatment at the dealership across town or in the next state. It's a shame that consumers are still forced to go through this gauntlet of BS while making a large purchase. The car dealerships' and manufacturers' lobbyists won't be able to protect this scummy and antiquated business model for much longer.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I just bought a Passport, which is the sixth new car I've bought in the last twenty-five years. Unfortunately, it was your typical dealership experience. My salesman, a young and green patsy, was basically just a glorified messenger between me and the sales manager. It was like playing a bad game of telephone and made nailing down the particulars of the deal almost frustrating enough to walk away from it. Then the scummiest finance guy that I've ever encountered invited me into his office. After wasting a half hour of my time trying to sell me stuff I didn't want, I said "You're spiel is taking too long. I have an appointment in a half hour". He acted personally offended that I referred to his sales pitch as a "spiel" and it took him a little while to recover from his fake outrage. If I was younger, I would have stood up and walked out of the dealership at that point in time. Now that I'm older and wiser, I know that this is just how 90% of dealerships operate and I probably won't get better treatment at the dealership across town or in the next state. It's a shame that consumers are still forced to go through this gauntlet of BS while making a large purchase. The car dealerships' and manufacturers' lobbyists won't be able to protect this scummy and antiquated business model for much longer.
First off congrats on the new purchase, hope you don’t have as hard of a time figuring out this space shuttle (too many buttons).

We had one of those messenger salesperson when we bought a new Accord years ago. During our test the salesperson stated that if we purchase this car she would have the most number of sales that month and would receive a $500 Nordstrom card.

After the drive and the game we went into the finance office and that is when the finance mngr asked if we wanted the alarm that was in the car ? We said of course we do it’s in the car, he then informed us that they install that alarm on all of their vehicles for an extra $2000 charge ($2000 for a alarm). We asked why our salesperson didn’t mention it, so he called her in when she said she had mentioned it, so I mentioned that now you’re calling us liars ? My wife jumped in the conversation and told Her that you did not mention the alarm and she could care less if she gets her Nordstrom card.

The finance mngr called the top dog and after hanging up he said his boss would be willing to cut the price to a $1000, which we did not except because of the lies, not telling us in the beginning and we agreed on the price already. He once again called his boss to work a better deal but this time my wife yelled at him through the phone call to quote “grow some balls and talk to us face to face”, he threw it in for free.

And no we weren’t working them to get it for free, as a matter of fact we told him we didn’t want it and to take the alarm out but the dealer didn’t want to take the time to do that so they threw it in

·
Registered
4 Posts
First off congrats on the new purchase, hope you don’t have as hard of a time figuring out this space shuttle (too many buttons).

We had one of those messenger salesperson when we bought a new Accord years ago. During our test the salesperson stated that if we purchase this car she would have the most number of sales that month and would receive a $500 Nordstrom card.

After the drive and the game we went into the finance office and that is when the finance mngr asked if we wanted the alarm that was in the car ? We said of course we do it’s in the car, he then informed us that they install that alarm on all of their vehicles for an extra $2000 charge ($2000 for a alarm). We asked why our salesperson didn’t mention it, so he called her in when she said she had mentioned it, so I mentioned that now you’re calling us liars ? My wife jumped in the conversation and told Her that you did not mention the alarm and she could care less if she gets her Nordstrom card.

The finance mngr called the top dog and after hanging up he said his boss would be willing to cut the price to a $1000, which we did not except because of the lies, not telling us in the beginning and we agreed on the price already. He once again called his boss to work a better deal but this time my wife yelled at him through the phone call to quote “grow some balls and talk to us face to face”, he threw it in for free.

And no we weren’t working them to get it for free, as a matter of fact we told him we didn’t want it and to take the alarm out but the dealer didn’t want to take the time to do that so they threw it in
Thanks. My wife has a 2018 Pilot that I've driven quite a bit so being familiar with the Passport's tech/buttons was definitely a selling point for me. When I first asked the dealership for a quote, they wanted $2,000 over MSRP. I said that I wouldn't pay a dollar over MSRP and to give me a call when Passport prices come back down to earth. It took a whole eighteen hours for Passport prices to come back down to earth. The same thing happened with the other two dealerships that I contacted. I'd hate to be a first time car buyer this year with so many manufacturers setting sales records. All three salesmen were quick to let me know that they had the leverage due to the current market conditions only to eventually fold after I told them that I wasn't interested in paying a "market value adjustment" for the privilege of buying a Passport.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks. My wife has a 2018 Pilot that I've driven quite a bit so being familiar with the Passport's tech/buttons was definitely a selling point for me. When I first asked the dealership for a quote, they wanted $2,000 over MSRP. I said that I wouldn't pay a dollar over MSRP and to give me a call when Passport prices come back down to earth. It took a whole eighteen hours for Passport prices to come back down to earth. The same thing happened with the other two dealerships that I contacted. I'd hate to be a first time car buyer this year with so many manufacturers setting sales records. All three salesmen were quick to let me know that they had the leverage due to the current market conditions only to eventually fold after I told them that I wasn't interested in paying a "market value adjustment" for the privilege of buying a Passport.
“They had the leverage” too funny

21 - 36 of 36 Posts