Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Asked the dealer the question on the rear tailgate yesterday.

It is "recommended" that you open and close the door electronically versus manually. I couldn't get an answer if prolonged manual opening or closing will cause a problem though.

Kind of a lame answer I know.

My take. There's a fair amount of resistance when you try to open or close manually. I'd say that its likely if you open close manually over time there would be damage or loss of efficiency. That being said once and awhile likely not.

I went through the settings this morning and didn't really look, but it may be possible to deactivate the power feature on the tailgate too. I'll check again at some point.
Thanks for the tailgate open/close research. I agree with your assessment that frequent manual use could damage the electric drive motor. Occasional use, not so much. It's my opinion that Honda prefers opening and closing to be done electrically, with manual use for emergencies, etc.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just wondering because I could open/close my Highlander tailgate faster by hand than this slow poke gate, lol. If nothing, be nice to adjust the gates speed.
Prolly a safety factor with that. But the auto gate is a main feature I like about it. And Im getting alot of use from it.
Congrats Rcs....447 on your new ride and Howdy from SE Tx. e.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Also, Rcs...447. Thanks for your helpful reply and sorry for de-railing your new PP thread.
Good choice, Touring was the way to go, if not Elite. Obs Blue, 2wd Touring here. peace, e.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Just wondering because I could open/close my Highlander tailgate faster by hand than this slow poke gate, lol. If nothing, be nice to adjust the gates speed.
Prolly a safety factor with that. But the auto gate is a main feature I like about it. And Im getting alot of use from it.
Congrats Rcs....447 on your new ride and Howdy from SE Tx. e.
Ernie, I'm almost positive the slow movement in both directions of the power tailgate is a safety factor, the closing, obviously the more important of the two. I recall several occasions hitting my head on it as the tailgate came down faster than I could get out of the way.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
801 Posts
CHEERS AND WELCOME! I COPIED YOUR POST AND RESPONDED IN CAPS, HOPE THAT IS OK...

I am still deciding on a Passport, GREAT CHOICE!

but it looks like I’m [finally] narrowing down to an EX-L. UPGRADE TO THE TOURING!

All Season Floor Mats – Honda or Weathertech? THE WEATHERTECH FLOOR LINERS ARE AWESOME!

Door Edge Film – I will be in close confines in my garage. Is it worth having installed? I DID NOT GET IT, BUT I CAN SEE THE ADVANTAGES OF HAVING IT!

Door Handle Film – current car has a lot of light scratches – could come out with waxing, but better to have film? YES, GET THEM, YOU DON'T WANT A BUNCH OF FINGERNAIL SCRATCHES !

Rear Bumper Applique – there will be a lot of in/out of luggage and other items. Although I am planning on the bumper cover from the Weathertech cargo mat, I think having this would still be a good idea. YES GET IT, FOR THE REASONS YOU LISTED

Cargo bins – good to have or just use the storage as is? I DID NOT GET THEM AS I HAVE A CHAIR, AN UMBRELLA AND BIG THINGS IN THERE!

Cargo Side Panel Protectors – lots of in/out of luggage and other items that could potentially slide around. Are they removable or permanently installed? I WAS GOING TO GET THEM, BUT I FIGURED I WOULD WAIT AND SEE HOW THE SIDES HOLD, UP, YES THEY ARE PERMANENTLY MOUNTED, IF I EVER GET ANY DAMAGE TO THE AREA - I CAN ADD THE PROTECTORS TO HIDE IT.

Seat Back Protectors - lots of in/out of luggage and other items that could potentially slide around. Are they removable or permanently installed? SAME AS ABOVE, MAY GET THEM DOWN THE ROAD SOMETIME.

I’m pretty sure I want to add the CD player – matter of fact from reading the Elite ventilated seats not being great and not being able to install a CD player, its pretty much my reasoning for an EX-L. Haven’t seen anything written here, so how is it? Do I loose anything other than my ability to get the wireless charger and the storage spot if I decide to get it? I GOT THE CD PLAYER, I THINK I AM THE ONLY PERSON HERE WHO DID, IT IS AWESOME - BUT IT NEEDS THE UPGRADED STEREO IN THE TOURING TO SOUND ITS BEST!

Any other suggestions of must gets? Thanks for the feedback. YES, GET THE THE TOURING OR YOU WILL FOREVER BE WISHING YOU DID...!

TAKE CARE NOW...!
Old post, but I agree with StevenD on the side cargo and seat back protectors. Hold off and wait until you see how the surfaces wear. If they get scratched up, install the protectors.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes, I've always purchased and installed protective accessories for my brand new autos. With never plans to remove them at trade in time. With this Passport I decided to wait for such things as interior cargo or ext bumper/body protection until it actually happens. Then I might purchase and install such items once they are needed; if at all. I understand buying such accessories for your new auto for prevention.

But I traded my '15 Highlander with only 22K miles on it for this Passport. All those accessories I installed went with that auto. And they were never really in need of some of them. I did keep my very nice front and rear floor mats with plans to sell or give them to a friend or family. But they just about fit the Passport exactly, so I saved that cost. I'm always cautious with my rides and they rarely get damaged. But I will look into some of these items as might be needed in the future. Those who have them early, more power to ya. peace, e.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Well, now I’m more seriously considering the Touring.

Have to admit I like the look of the black wheels – which isn’t available on the Touring – but the $2000 difference on the EX-L can be better applied to the features of the Touring model.

I like to take care of my car – so “protective” items are a good idea, what I was mainly looking for is “this sucks, don’t waste the money.”

That being said, I saw something somewhere and can’t find on the body side molding – are they worth it? What I remember seeing is that the positioning didn’t seem like it would prevent any dings or the like.

I’m torn on the bins – what I’m not really seeing is are they totally removable? Ie can I get them and then if wanting to store items that don’t fit, can I just stash them in the garage?

I’m really looking forward to buying the Passport…just have to iron out what I want. Historically I keep cars 10+ years and over 125,000 miles, so I want to get the right accessories.  
You and I are in the same boat. I narrowed down offers from two dealers. Should have a deal tomorrow. I’m skipping the body side molding for the same reason; positioned too low to be effective.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well I did it! I bought a Touring in Modern Steel/black interior and pick it up Saturday.

I got most of the dealer installed items I mentioned in the original post with the exception of the cargo area/back seat protection and the bins. Reasoning for the cargo area protectors was pretty much what was said earlier that once/if the standard interior is damaged I’ll get installed then.

The pricing Honda charges for installation is outrageous. All weather floor mats requiring approx. $250 for the dealer to put them in – so I went with Weathertech and I THINK I might be able to install them myself [ha].

I was talked out of the CD player and into the wireless charger by my wife. I’m ok with it given the USB/Honda Music but sometimes I don’t transfer everything. But yeah, having the wireless charger does beat plugging in.

Thanks for all the inputs
I like to listen to my CDs as well. I just bought a $20 portable CD player and plug it into the Aux Input jack inside the console. Select Aux Input as the source and you are good to go. Sounds pretty good. ...Another accessory you might want to consider is the crossbars for the roof rails.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I like to listen to my CDs as well. I just bought a $20 portable CD player and plug it into the Aux Input jack inside the console. Select Aux Input as the source and you are good to go. Sounds pretty good. ...Another accessory you might want to consider is the crossbars for the roof rails.
Great idea! I have a really good portable Sony CD player that was designed to be used when running, and never skipped. It’s been sitting in a drawer for years. Time to resurrect it!

·
Registered
White Diamond Pearl ****2019 Touring****
173 Posts
I like to listen to my CDs as well.... portable CD player and plug it into the Aux Input jack inside the console. Select Aux Input as the source and you are good to go. Sounds pretty good.
Great idea! I have a really good portable Sony CD player that was designed to be used when running, and never skipped. Time to resurrect it!
Thank you both for the great alternative to OEM Honda CD player. I'm going to try out ours tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Two comments. I like the Weathertech mats. Higher sides so snow and slush stay in the mats. I would go with the OEM rear cargo mat as it has a "hinged" section so the rear floor storage cover can be easily raised.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well I did it! I bought a Touring in Modern Steel/black interior and pick it up Saturday.

I got most of the dealer installed items I mentioned in the original post with the exception of the cargo area/back seat protection and the bins. Reasoning for the cargo area protectors was pretty much what was said earlier that once/if the standard interior is damaged I’ll get installed then.

The pricing Honda charges for installation is outrageous. All weather floor mats requiring approx. $250 for the dealer to put them in – so I went with Weathertech and I THINK I might be able to install them myself [ha].

I was talked out of the CD player and into the wireless charger by my wife. I’m ok with it given the USB/Honda Music but sometimes I don’t transfer everything. But yeah, having the wireless charger does beat plugging in.

Thanks for all the inputs

Congrats on your new PP!
You could always plug a portable CD player into the Aux 3.5mm jack located at the inside bottom of the console. Choose Aux. as your input and you are good to go. Just remember that the input volume depends on where the volume on the CD player is set to. I have a lot of CDs and use the player a lot along with Sirius XM.

PP comes with an Owner's Guide. Be sure to order the Owner's Manual. Hard copy is available free if you order it within 1st 6 mos. You can also download it at no charge. Details for both are in the Guide.
BTW- The 5"x 8" hard copy is 661 pages! Good reading lots of info and tips.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts