Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering having a trailer hitch installed on my 2019 Passport Touring. Hopefully I can get my local dealer parts department to match College Hills Honda's price on the hitch and the hands free adapter. I don't need it wired up since I will be using it only for a bike rack and will never be towing anything.

I'm wondering what others have been charged for dealer installation.

Reactions: Werlyb23

·
Registered
2019 Honda Passport Elite
71 Posts
I live right by college hills Honda. They charged me $700 total for the hitch, harness wiring, sensor relocation bracket (hands-free rear door), and installation. Quite pricy, but they did a really good job and I didn't have to mess with it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
You can use the link below and see the price of the accessory and the installed price. You can change the dealer and get an idea of what the charges are in your area. In my area, some big variances between dealers. If you get an aftermarket and do it by yourself it's looks really easy and under $200.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My dealer matched the online price + shipping for big items. They have to include the shipping because that is a big portion of the items cost.

If you are leaving your bike rack on the vehicle for any amount of time, you will want to turn off your hands free tailgate. I've had mine try to open when just walking by the back with it parked in my garage.

I also put a plastic cover (that I have to flip up first) over the opener button on the driver door because sometimes you just forget the bike rack is on there and it's not going to be good if it opens with the rack on.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Passport Elite
71 Posts
I'd like to 2nd what sprocket said about turning off the hands-free tailgate. My rear hatch opened on its own while I was loading up my full sus mountain bike on a 1up hitch rack. I was able to reach through the frame and stop the rear hatch just before it smashed into my mtb flat pedals. If you ride aggressive flats, you know how much damage that would do! I enjoy having the hands-free tailgate, but it stays off during the riding season.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had the dealer install it on my Passport - $1200..which another dealer wanted $1600 to install it....was part of the purchase of the vehicle....
Gives you an idea on what someone paid for it

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the dealer install it on my Passport - $1200..which another dealer wanted $1600 to install it....was part of the purchase of the vehicle....
Gives you an idea on what someone paid for it
I paid $1400 to have it installed after I took delivery. That included the transmission cooler which you must have in order to raise the tow capacity to 5000 lbs. The cooler installation takes a lot of time. If you only need a bike rack or your towing less than 3500 leave the cooler off

·
Premium Member
2019 Passport Elite
156 Posts
I guess the BIG question is: Is the OEM hitch worth the money? E-trailer is cheaper, to be sure, but the hitch doesn't look as clean as OEM.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I guess the BIG question is: Is the OEM hitch worth the money? E-trailer is cheaper, to be sure, but the hitch doesn't look as clean as OEM.
I guess it depends on if you are towing a trailer and whether you mind if the hitch hits the ground/pavement when going over bumps or dips. The OEM sits higher up in the bumper area, aftermarkets sit below the bumper.

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
841 Posts
Not sure what aftermarket hitches are going for, but I got my OEM hitch for $248 last week.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I guess it depends on if you are towing a trailer and whether you mind if the hitch hits the ground/pavement when going over bumps or dips. The OEM sits higher up in the bumper area, aftermarkets sit below the bumper.
What are you talking about ?? Mine is tight against valance panel and if it hits so does the exhaust. You get in that tight of a place it is no place for Passport The receiver has nothing to do with what hits with a trailer, the height of the ball is the same no matter where the receiver is. OEM just takes a bigger drop.....

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
841 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Can someone tell me if an aftermarket hitch will block the sensor that activates tailgate kick opener? I've actually laid down under the back of the vehicle to see where that sensor was and haven't been able to find it. 😏 Really.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts