Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
My Calif. mother long-ago accepted my being provided/ trained with TRUE Full Auto Assault Rifles (at the tender age of 18) but disagrees with my now carrying a handgun (despite my now being significantly more experience /mature). The Army also provided me with additional training / experience with handguns and shotguns. NOTE: I never mastered their .45.

Now my Calif. siblings (brother and sister) are envious that both me and my bride have the freedom to choose (while each of them has a handgun locked away in their home). Important note, due to Cal. restrictive gun laws they don't practice with them.

Subsequent to my long-ago military discharge my firearm experiece has greatly increased AND the ammo has greatly improved. While I'm no Hickok45 you don't want to be on the down-range end of my 9mm's.

Victims of gun violence fear us, but the vast VAST majority of us are benign. Question: every mass shooting was concluded by what?
Answer: another gun.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite - Future Purchase
180 Posts
My favorite and most comfortable/natural feeling 9mm gun is a Springfield Armory XD9 4” Service with a 15 round capacity. Just feels so good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
thanks .. now I understand the purpose of your hidden box.

As Alabama goes... in middle of last Dec. I drove down to panhandle thru AL. On the way back, I stopped by at the Gun Show in Huntsville to see how it compares to IL. I was really surprised in a a bad way as I was expecting way more interesting stuff. About half of the tables were "ninja" and other knifes + other trinkets. It was not worth the $10 entry...I walked out in 30 min.

As the shootings go... TX next door has similar "south culture" and likely more guns - they had their share of problems. I think what helps AL is low population density .. large state with few people...Carry as much as you like... I choose not to and in my adult life I had no experience I wish I had. Maybe time to change neighborhood.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite - Future Purchase
180 Posts
thanks .. now I understand the purpose of your hidden box.

As Alabama goes... in middle of last Dec. I drove down to panhandle thru AL. On the way back, I stopped by at the Gun Show in Huntsville to see how it compares to IL. I was really surprised in a a bad way as I was expecting way more interesting stuff. About half of the tables were "ninja" and other knifes + other trinkets. It was not worth the $10 entry...I walked out in 30 min.

As the shootings go... TX next door has similar "south culture" and likely more guns - they had their share of problems. I think what helps AL is low population density .. large state with few people...Carry as much as you like... I choose not to and in my adult life I had no experience I wish I had. Maybe time to change neighborhood.
Crime travels. You can be in a great neighborhood and still get robbed, killed, etc. Happens more than you think.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My favorite and most comfortable/natural feeling 9mm gun is a Springfield Armory XD9 4” Service with a 15 round capacity. Just feels so good.
I've got many full sized lovelies that feel good (2x CZs, 2x Sigs - all pricy SA/DA - they get my approval for Range play) - and one full sized striker fired gun (my preference for carry duty). It's ugly (and cheap) so I keep it out of sight (in a holster). I've now worn this lovable HK VP9 for close to 4 years - that's an anomaly for me.

I've also got multiple 9mm striker fired compacts (Glock, Shield, Sig, Walther - for summer attire) but none of them really appeal to me; they're more tools.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You obviously don't understand southern culture; here (in Alabama) residents can legally / publicly wear a gun on their hip. I think it's 21 years and over but don't know for sure. Perhaps thats a contributing factor as to Alabama not yet having a mass shooting - we can/ will shoot back.

Openly displaying your gun is OK / however to carry it concealed requires a carry permit - issued by the county sheriffs. The sheriff in turn runs a background check and if you're clean (by state law) they MUST ISSUE the person a permit. I carry mine concealed. Of course felons, drug + domestic abusers, etc are prohibited from ownership and carry rights.

But sometimes I must leave my gun behind - Iike for trips to the courthouse, schools, etc., then I lock it up in this box.
Also, when on cross county trips I must secure it when traveling thru some states (Wash, Ore, Nev, Cal, NM) all forbid me the right to carry in their states last fall.

Even better for me, in Bama Mil. Retirees over 65 years pay nothing for this permit! For all over 65 years is half price. I believe 5 year permits for the rest are $100 / $20 year.

Boooo to those communist states.

View attachment 5074
Fortunately, it's pretty much the same law here in North Carolina. And I carry everywhere I go as the law permits. BTW I have the same safe box under my seat... it's moved from car to car over the last decade!

·
Registered
730 Posts
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

And before someone challanges the above "militia" wording - during our Colonial Wars militias consisted of farmers and store keepers (not a National Guard type unit).

·
Registered
37 Posts
All states allow conceal carry at this time. The time and process to get CC are different but nothing really out of ordinary. That is if you have clean record, you eventually get one.

What is different is perception when it is ok to use it. Sometimes is better to walk than carry burden of killing someone and court cost associated with it. I am pretty sure that if you end up killing someone attempting to jack car from your drveiway in AL results in different legal outcome if I was to do the same in IL.

·
Registered
133 Posts
To say all states allow conceal carry is a stretch of the imagination. Ever try to get a conceal carry in NJ, NY, MD... One of the reason I left NJ 30 years ago was their communistic view of firearms. I had a friend that 15 years ago when passing through NYC stayed overnight in a hotel. When the valet noticed a 38 revolver in the door pocket he summoned the police. My friend spent 90 day in the NYC "tumbs" while we hired lawyers to get him out. And yes he had a conceal carry permit issued in NC.

It's called the Castle Doctrine or Stand Your Ground in most stated that allow conceal carry. In NJ you have to retreat and hide when someone breaks into your house.
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

·
Registered
37 Posts
"All 50 states have laws in place that allow citizens to carry concealed weapons "

As you read this , you can see that some states are more CC friendly than others. Usually, states or even cities within states will make getting CC much harder and this goes with population density. More people = more out of balance people = more problems. Try taking subway/commute train to/from Chicago and look at people faces and their demeanor. You can see that people are stressed out to limits and most probably should not own a gun.

I would not expect minimum wage, likely recent immigrant to understand US gun laws so I would not flash my open/conceal carry weapon at such places. Problem I am seeing is that most private businesses around here (such as hotels) have the "no guns" stickers on doors so if you come in with gun, you are putting yourself in mercy of local police and prosecutor.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Driv3r
Discussion Starter

"In this thread, please post the accessories you use to mount your phone to the dash, with a link and pictures showing the placement and your experience."

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
Driv3r
Discussion Starter

"In this thread, please post the accessories you use to mount your phone to the dash, with a link and pictures showing the placement and your experience."

View attachment 5088
Hey I know that route! except I took the 25 down to the 40... (last Saturday)... 1200 miles, 17 hour drive to So. Cal... (but not in the Passport, it was in my daughters 2019 Forrester)...

21 - 36 of 36 Posts