Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Certainly the worst review I've read so far. I don't have a feel for Motor Trend's slant on reviews, but none of the other reviews (articles or YouTube) have been this critical.

·
Registered
13 Posts
"Unfortunately, the ZF-sourced nine-speed automatic is the Passport's Achilles' heel; it shifts harshly, it's stingy with downshifts outside of Sport mode, and it spends half the time confused in heavy traffic." ... yeah, that won't work in Denver/CO traffic.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think MT and others drove a preproduction vehicle. More than once reviewers have said it takes forever to downshift when punched. I drove the Passport for the first time today. There was none of that. It shifted up smoothly, downshifted right away when punched. Granted I wasn't in heavy traffic, but take those reviews with a grain of salt. Drive it for yourself.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Considering Motor Trend sold their last front cover to Chevrolet, I wouldn't be surprised if a glowing review of the Blazer isn't too far behind.

;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think MT and others drove a preproduction vehicle. More than once reviewers have said it takes forever to downshift when punched. I drove the Passport for the first time today. There was none of that. It shifted up smoothly, downshifted right away when punched. Granted I wasn't in heavy traffic, but take those reviews with a grain of salt. Drive it for yourself.
I didn't notice any issues during my test drive in highway and local street driving. I wasn't focusing on the transmission/performance at the time, but I don't think I would notice anything unless the issue was really egregious. The observations and opinions of other drivers more attuned to car performance might differ ...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Honda simply forgot to pad their wallet. Same goes with JD powers, consumer reports etc. followed all of the trends for years. All 3. One time a certain product is top dog, next year it’s chopped liver. Bought and paid for

·
Registered
34 Posts
Honda simply forgot to pad their wallet. Same goes with JD powers, consumer reports etc. followed all of the trends for years. All 3. One time a certain product is top dog, next year it’s chopped liver. Bought and paid for
How would you explain their praises of the accord and Pilot then?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Considering Motor Trend sold their last front cover to Chevrolet, I wouldn't be surprised if a glowing review of the Blazer isn't too far behind.

;)
I've subscribed to this magazine for a number of years and have found most reviews to be fairly accurate. In fact the Honda CRV has been and remains this magazines favorite compact SUV - being rated number one over a lot of higher priced rigs. Writers have qualified, in the past, their testing for reviews are very intensive and most likely the average purchaser will never push the vehicles to these limits. I was hopeful for a better review as well as I was planning to purchase one......primarily for the V6 - non turbo engine. CRVs, I understand are having problems with the 1.5 l turbo engine. Guess I'll wait for a while?

·
Registered
236 Posts
MoterTrend said:
"although we appreciate the rear seat's ability to recline and slide, we could use even more head- and legroom."
Give me a break. The rear seat area is huge. The big (6'2") TFL Offroad guy fits fine.

3:58 to 4:20 of this video.

·
Super Moderator
1,100 Posts
The negativity in the article seemed a bit over the top and seemed almost like it was based on opinions and here-say...

Over reviews that talk about numbers or compare real data seem more helpful, so this article won't really affect my buying decision, perhaps I'll send a link to the Honda salespeople, when I start negotiating and use it to my advantage...!

·
Registered
86 Posts
"Unfortunately, the ZF-sourced nine-speed automatic is the Passport's Achilles' heel; it shifts harshly, it's stingy with downshifts outside of Sport mode, and it spends half the time confused in heavy traffic." ... yeah, that won't work in Denver/CO traffic.
Alex on Autos did a good review on the the issues about this non Honda 9 speed. He also said
you can still opt for the better Shifting Honda made 6-speed on the 3 lower trims of the Pilot.
That Pilot is 100% Honda and will do well in your Denver traffic. You should give it a try.
Even though the engine lacks a timing chain, it's still has plenty of power. It seems like the only
issue here, is the part of the car that is not Honda made.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you look at any of these 9-10 speed transmissions that are being placed in new cars, you will find the exact same criticisms. Its obvious that Honda has some work to do with better programming this new gearbox, but I would imagine a lot of these concerns can be addressed with software changes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Alex on Autos did a good review on the the issues about this non Honda 9 speed. He also said
you can still opt for the better Shifting Honda made 6-speed on the 3 lower trims of the Pilot.
That Pilot is 100% Honda and will do well in your Denver traffic. You should give it a try.
Even though the engine lacks a timing chain, it's still has plenty of power. It seems like the only
Thank you, Brett. Everyone knows you love the Pilot. You talk about literally nothing else.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry, Honda transmission does not have a great history either....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Automatic transmissions arrived on the scene in 1939, so you would think they have had enough time to perfect them by now... guess not. Maybe manufacturers should concentrate on quality and not how cheap can we make them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
BrettP, your "non Honda" shtick is getting old. You do realize a lot of Pilot, CRV, Passport, Civic parts are not made by Honda? Maybe you should start complaining about the infotainment quality. Honda has Enkei make a lot of their wheels. They have to farm out part production to multiple different companies like all major auto manufacturers.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I came from a 2017 CR-V that had a CVT tranny, the passport with the ZF 9 speed is a breath of fresh air! The ZF is a GREAT tranny, shifts so smooth, I cant say enough good things about it..
I remember the cars of the 60’s with there 3 speed automatics, they were primitive..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts