Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
My car is in the shop for the third time with the same issues as you. They will be replacing the harness, and as you said we will see what is going on after that!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I could be wrong now, but as I recall, this issue is tied to the Wiring Harness and it needs to be replaced to fully fix it, Honda Corp knows about it, not sure if it has flowed down to the dealers yet... I would tell your dealer that and see how they respond. And be sure to update us here... good luck!
I have the same issues that John M has had but I have only had my Passport since Black Friday. The dealer has had the vehicle since the day after Christmas. One of the fixes the dealer tried was replacing the main wiring harness. Still have the same issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will say so far so good. I received my Passport back today after they replaced the wiring harness. The auto lights and auto brights are definitely working better. Ill give it some time on the Audio crackling, but so far so good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey everyone....I'm going back to dealership on Tuesday. They are going to replace mike. Not sure if that is the fix. I do have pics of the black dash when it cut out on my while driving. Plus pics of the entire infotainment going black as well. When it did reset , got message that no fm signal was found. Still crackling heard even when the infotainment went black. Dealer says Honda Canada is working on it. On another note, did anyone have one of those ppl involved in the recall for missing welds where frame attaches to unibody? Check out info NHTSA web site.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey everyone....I'm going back to dealership on Tuesday. They are going to replace mike. Not sure if that is the fix. I do have pics of the black dash when it cut out on my while driving. Plus pics of the entire infotainment going black as well. When it did reset , got message that no fm signal was found. Still crackling heard even when the infotainment went black. Dealer says Honda Canada is working on it. On another note, did anyone have one of those ppl involved in the recall for missing welds where frame attaches to unibody? Check out info NHTSA web site.
I heard about this recall I’m going to inquire today. I got a harness replaced and the audio issue seems to be fine now, but now the wipers speed is only max no matter what setting I have it on, and the steering wheel audio controls froze up on me twice... this is getting insane. I know it’s not debilitating to the function of the car, but I wonder if it falls under lemon law in PA

·
Registered
13 Posts
I heard about this recall I’m going to inquire today. I got a harness replaced and the audio issue seems to be fine now, but now the wipers speed is only max no matter what setting I have it on, and the steering wheel audio controls froze up on me twice... this is getting insane. I know it’s not debilitating to the function of the car, but I wonder if it falls under lemon law in PA
So far I haven't had the wipers and steering wheel issues. But it's good to know for the future. I just wonder if all these issues are software related or a hardware issue. Did you have wiper and steering wheel issues before they replaced the wiring harness?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello. Bought my Passport Elite in September 2019 but the sporadic crackling/popping noise didn't start until December (around 5,000 miles). I took a recording into Perfection Honda (Rio Rancho, New Mexico) Dealership's Service department on January 7, 2020 & got a loaner to drive while they worked on it. They said they unkinked the wiring harness. That resolved the problem...for 5 days. On January 13th, the sporadic noise started again just as bad as before, and also on January 14th. The service adviser said to try to isolate what was happening when I heard it, but nothing I tried (i.e., changing audio source or speaker/sound settings), would induce the system to make that noise. However, on Saturday, January 25, I heard it twice, once in the morning and once in the evening. No noise, however, the following Monday and Tuesday. Took it back to service today (January 29th) and now they are saying that unless they can replicate the sound, they will not attempt any further repairs. I'm furious at their nonchalance--I even spoke to the Service Manager and my salesman. I'm also going to talk with the Sales Manager and the General Manager if I don't get some action on this. I refuse to be stonewalled and will contact Honda directly if the local dealership continues to refuse to try to resolve the problem. This is the 2nd attempt at repair and i'll be researching my state's lemon law requirements.

February 2020 update: My service adviser says Honda has told him that they are revising the wiring harnesses, both in the dash and floor, and I'm in line to get one when they have finished development and fabrication. I've been trying to figure out what conditions cause the noise, and thus far it seems to be associated with cold temperature outside (less than 24 degrees Fahrenheit) with bright sunlight shining on the windshield, although I have heard the noise when it's dark and well below freezing outside too.

Feb 7, 2020 -- Took the Passport in for its first oil change. They tested the battery and determined it was dying and needed a replacement under warranty. I've only had it 4 months and it was new when I bought it! I'm starting to worry about Honda's engineering--after the radio noise, this is strike two. And I'm wondering if there is a connection between these two things? Is something going on electrically at night in the garage when it's supposed to be asleep?

Feb 8, 2020 -- drove the Passport 500 miles over 8 hours in a variety of temperatures and road conditions. The speakers continuously popped, crackled and snapped for the first 6 hours, then the noise went silent and we enjoyed beautiful music the remaining two hours. How frustrating!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I took my pp in on Tuesday and it's still there. I'm in a loaner now. They had the dash apart. Service mgr took it home last night to see if issues re-occurred. They are going to replace the mike and amplifier, test it and see happens. Will keep you posted on status of this repair. This is my 4th time in for same issues..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same issues that John M has had but I have only had my Passport since Black Friday. The dealer has had the vehicle since the day after Christmas. One of the fixes the dealer tried was replacing the main wiring harness. Still have the same issue.
Update: I returned the pp to the dealership on January 23rd, the 4th time for the same issue, 23 hours after they gave it back to me. I have 9 different videos of the issue in that 23 hour time period. The issue is getting worst, it's happening more frequently, for longer time and I am loosing functions on the touch screen and the steering wheel. The dealership has had my pp for 38 days now. They called me yesterday and said they think its the amplifier. The part will be in next week and then they want to keep it a while longer for testing after they replace the part. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I picked up my pp yesterday. Dealership replaced the mike and amplifier ad per tech from Honda Canada. So far no issues with crackling issues or dash going blank. Will update in a week and let you if recurring issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have not seen it but at least they acknowledge issues. Hope my Mike and amplifier replacement works. Will advise next week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Update on the mike, amplifier/tuner assembly replacement. No further issues so far. Hope this is the solution

·
Registered
11 Posts
I, just got back my vehicle on Friday. Dealer kept it for two weeks. The harnace was replaced. So far, so good. We will see!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I could be wrong now, but as I recall, this issue is tied to the Wiring Harness and it needs to be replaced to fully fix it, Honda Corp knows about it, not sure if it has flowed down to the dealers yet... I would tell your dealer that and see how they respond. And be sure to update us here... good luck!
It’s not the wiring harness. I’ve had the same problem with my 2019 Passport and have been to the dealership 4-5 times over the past year. They finally replaced the wiring harness - seemed to fix the issue for awhile, but now it’s back, exactly as you have described. Bringing back to dealership next week and dreading it. I had a lot of trouble getting them to acknowledge there was an issue until I videoed it. Dealership kept claiming they couldn’t replicate the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have also had steering wheel audio controls freezing, in conjunction with the crackling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It’s not the wiring harness. I’ve had the same problem with my 2019 Passport and have been to the dealership 4-5 times over the past year. They finally replaced the wiring harness - seemed to fix the issue for awhile, but now it’s back, exactly as you have described. Bringing back to dealership next week and dreading it. I had a lot of trouble getting them to acknowledge there was an issue until I videoed it. Dealership kept claiming they couldn’t replicate the problem.
What I was told is that they are having to redesign and refabricate the wiring harness, and that is taking time. I'm wondering if they are just putting me off....???

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
No way to tell Bill, but that statement seems to at least acknowledge that Honda (Corp) is aware of the issue.

BTW, last weekend I drove through NM, stopped for dinner in Sante Fe and stayed the night inn Gallup...pretty county...

21 - 40 of 40 Posts