Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Thinking about a Passport, Outback XT, CX-50
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the year, make, model and trim you selected, your Costco Member discount is as follows:

Market Adjustment100%
Honda Protection Package15%
Paint Protection Package15%

So, one hand giveth and the other hand taketh :)?
Honda and Paint protection package are required, hmm, I know where this is going.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I went through this a while back - still don't have my PP - reported a couple dealers to Costco but never heard back. So they will take off the entire market BS charge?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The way they're doing it is that you get 100% discount on markup (i.e. you pay none) and then they give you 15% discount on BS stuff I don't need (ex. Paint protection).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Have purchased several times by using Costco program as "A starting point of email discussion".

Step 1 - obtain the Acrobat PDF file with price details from the participating dealer with Costco Program.
Step 2 - send this PDF to all surrounding non-participating dealers with "..how much can you beat this..".

Picked up several Accords, Civics, CRVs, Ridgelines, Passports, Pilots using this framework.
Note: Never stepped inside a dealer showroom and never met face-to-face with any salesperson.
All documents emailed over once Out the Door price agreed on. No phone calls, no in-person contact.

Drove to dealer, dropped payment and picked up keys. Saw car(s) the very 1st time. Drove away.

No chit-chat, no coffee, don't even know anyone by name at various dealerships who handed over keys.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Have purchased several times by using Costco program as "A starting point of email discussion".

Step 1 - obtain the Acrobat PDF file with price details from the participating dealer with Costco Program.
Step 2 - send this PDF to all surrounding non-participating dealers with "..how much can you beat this..".

Picked up several Accords, Civics, CRVs, Ridgelines, Passports, Pilots using this framework.
Note: Never stepped inside a dealer showroom and never met face-to-face with any salesperson.
All documents emailed over once Out the Door price agreed on. No phone calls, no in-person contact.

Drove to dealer, dropped payment and picked up keys. Saw car(s) the very 1st time. Drove away.

No chit-chat, no coffee, don't even know anyone by name at various dealerships who handed over keys.
I really like this as well - when I bought my first ever "brand new car" in 1999 I did a similar thing via e-mail

·
Registered
533 Posts

Ha! The hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil, car purchase style. Fraternizing with a dealer leads to untold consequences.

Rectangle Art Font Line Painting

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good idea, what I was thinking as well. I went to autotrader and sent emails out related to used and new cars. The ones who respond move to the front of the line. What I wanted to confirm is if the Costco program beatable in today's environment or is it one of those that is cast in stone. Doesn't appear to be. Also, I don't think they're able to move Passports out as fast as the Pilots (or the CRVs). There seems to be more of a wiggle room on these and why some dealers are willing to work with the Costco Program (but only for certain models, ex. passport).

·
Daimyo
2021 Honda Passport Elite - Tonbo-Giri⛩️
390 Posts

Have you done this within the past year during the car shortage?

My question to anyone who puts out their claimed car buying expertise is at what point do you actually stop and commit to purchasing? I ask because in 20+ years of not only running automotive enthusiast websites but also buying and selling a lot of vehicles I've come across literally thousands of people who have offered such expertise that frankly does not apply to everyone in every situation. I do wonder how much of this supposed expertise is just game playing and doesn't actually result in meaningful business transactions that actually benefit a consumer.

Stated with upmost charity.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Tadakatsu said:
Have you done this within the past year during the car shortage?
A new Hybrid Touring CRV from Autonation, precisely this method in last few months.
One key is to buy when not really in need, but always be ready to execute transaction.
I pull the trigger usually last day of the month, depending on what model I am buying.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Elite, Modern Steel Metallic/Black
132 Posts
I really like this as well - when I bought my first ever "brand new car" in 1999 I did a similar thing via e-mail
Yup! I did the email thing when I bought my then new '06 Acura TL. I eliminated a couple of dealers because they attempted the BS game of "I need you to come in to be sure you're getting exactly the car you're looking to buy"and so on.. This despite me saying.... "I'm looking for a 2006 Acura TL 5AT NAVI in Anthracite Metallic/Ebony". Another insisted on calling me before discussing price... - I dropped them. The third communicated with me totally by email, and I went to the dealership to sign on the dotted line and pickup my car.

Reactions: Bajapalm

·
Registered
209 Posts
One other tip about using strictly email.
Typically the email address ends up in some type of referral pool and ends up as a honeypot for spam.

Use outlook.com or Google Accounts and create a new gmail address or new alias if you control your own domain.

Write any and all communication from this one purpose address and for the durations of seeking price and final execution, forward this address to your private email. When the transaction is complete (or abandoned if no deal reached), disable forwarding and delete or stop using that address.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts