Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since the Continental tires are popular, maybe someone will benefit from my experiences with three of their tire offerings used on my passport.

After considering my needs- lots of long haul road tripping for photography or storm chasing, some city driving on awful roads, limited dirt and off road adventuring, severe rain and moderate snow storm and ice driving, I settled on two tires to test to replace the stocks: the Continental TerrainContact A/T, and TerrainContact H/T. I tested both in size 245/60/R18 which is almost identical in diameter to stock and leaves some fender clearance so I have room to articulate off road without rubbing and still use snow chains, clear ice buildup, etc. Speedometer offset by only .3 MPH up to about 85MPH. My aftermarket wheels 35mm offset make steering use slightly less effort and give slightly less feedback than stock (it is mostly minor change).

1) Factory 20" Continental CrossContact LX Sport on factory 55mm offset Honda wheels:
The factory tires are ok at handling, fairly rough riding like most 20", not super loud but not quiet. The sidewall is thin and it is super easy to damage the wheels and tire in anything but highway or wide city roads. Steering feedback is good but you don't feel everything. Response to bumps is firm, slightly harsh. Traction in light snow is passable with AWD snow mode, but not great. Wet driving and dirt roads or all terrain driving is nothing special. The factory tires are a cheaper offering from Continental with bad tread wear and mediocre parameters all around. Not awful, not good at anything. ~10k miles on the tires before swapping wheels and tires to 18". Tested in all conditions form heavy rain, medium snow, dirt, mild forest roads.

2) Aftermarket 18" Continental TerrainContact A/T on aftermarket 35mm offset wheels by Ultra:
These tires have good handling, a softer but still firm ride. The steering feel is light and quick with little slop. For their type they are very quiet, but make about as much noise as my 10k mile worn stocks did, maybe slightly better on good pavement and slightly worse on bad pavement due to the tread blocks shape and spacing. The sidewall is durable and thick, less so than a truly tough A/T tire, but much more than a touring tire. The traction is said to be decent in all conditions and weather until you get to very low temps but I have not tested in weather. Response to bumps is firm, but slightly better than stock 20". MPG seems it might go down about 1MPG from stock on average. The tire is very good in all parameters but not excellent in any. I put 200 miles on these before deciding for the type of very light off roading and country dirt roads I drive, the H/T version is quieter and up to the tasks I have for it. I loved the A/T tire feel and damping of small bumps, but I hate road noise and on most roads I noticed at least 25%-50% or better subjective noise improvement with the H/T. That is about two or three clicks on my stereo of less volume needed to get over the tire drone and a lot less fatigue over hundreds of miles on a long trip.

3) Aftermarket 18" Continental TerrainContact H/T on aftermarket 35mm offset wheels by Ultra:
These tires have very good handling and best in class wet braking and hydroplaning resistance- since I pursue severe weather, this will be ideal. The tire has slightly more numb steering feel than the stocks or A/T model, and a ride that is softer on larger bumps than either of the previous tires mentioned, but still somewhat firm. Not one of those pillow tires that floats or has multiple bounces after a big bump. You actually feel more smaller bumps than the A/T tire or stocks which is not ideal, but not disturbing most of the time. Really bad concrete sectionals sticking up can be aggravating with this tire, but that is true for any tire- the A/T was barely better at damping repeated small bumps in that situation. This tire is really quiet on good pavement, and quieter on almost all other pavement than the stocks or A/T variant- at the expense of slightly reduced off road traction. Since the A/T is not that aggressively treaded either, it is a small tradeoff to me. The tire is still durable and seems not quite as firm as the A/T which may be why smaller bumps transmit easier. The H/T is still a light terrain tread (highway/terrain) that is for people who do very minimal or basic off road. For what I do, driving a lot on dirt county roads or pretty easy forest trails or short stretches in fields or shallow sand, they are fine. They are not for deep sand, snow mud, etc. where the TerrainContact A/T would do slightly better, or a serious A/T or mud tire would be most ideal. It has more sipes than stock wheel or A/T and likely will be better in light snow and ice conditions. It is a clone of the Michelin defender design with a newer silica compound. MPG seems the same as stocks so far, at about 100 miles on the tires. Overall a very good road tire with just enough off road ability for the meager dirt tracks and country roads I ride.

Anyhow, kind of long winded, but I would love to hear that kind of detail from others about their tires. The shoes on your car can make such a big difference in the experience and ability it offers. Wheels and Tires have a TON of variables.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks, love the info. I wish I had a similar review for the Terra Grapplers I have on as I haven't pushed them very much yet.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, love the info. I wish I had a similar review for the Terra Grapplers I have on as I haven't pushed them very much yet.
When you do drive them a bit, would love to hear about it and I could change this thread title to tire options mini reviews or something. How they do for road noise vs. stock and what does steering, ride and handling feel like are a few things I think everyone is interested in with various tire choices.

One thing I found out is online reviews and ratings on places like TireRack or manufacturer websites are mostly subjective and not comparable, so only comparing against stock or other tires on the vehicle gave me better info.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have the Jsport lift kit, 18" wheels and 255/60/18 OR 245/70/17 – Nitto Terra Grappler tires.

Road noise is just a bit more than stock tires but it is noticeable if the Radio is off. Not sure I had to turn it up to cover the noise though.
Steering is noticeably easier and was a bit disconcerting at first. It feels like I may lose traction easier but so far never have.

I don't know about off pavement, snow or even rain driving yet, we just started getting rain here and with lockdown I haven't been out much.

I do love that I don't scratch my wheels any more as the tires are wider than stock and protect the rims.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the Jsport lift kit, 18" wheels and 255/60/18 OR 245/70/17 – Nitto Terra Grappler tires.

Road noise is just a bit more than stock tires but it is noticeable if the Radio is off. Not sure I had to turn it up to cover the noise though.
Steering is noticeably easier and was a bit disconcerting at first. It feels like I may lose traction easier but so far never have.

I don't know about off pavement, snow or even rain driving yet, we just started getting rain here and with lockdown I haven't been out much.

I do love that I don't scratch my wheels any more as the tires are wider than stock and protect the rims.
I've been eyeing the JSport lift as well. Did you put it all on at once, or did one thing change the steering feel more, like tires or lift?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts